gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final Fantasy X
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    nightofjoy wrote: »
    I've seen Little Big Planet advertised somewhere I think. Is that the one where you're the cute little knitted guy? If so it looks fun....

Thanks for the heads up on the buzz situation ;-)

That's him. His name is Sackboy.

There's Little Big Planet, Little Big Planet 2 and Little Big Planet Karting available for the PS3.
  • Options
    nightofjoynightofjoy Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    That's him. His name is Sackboy.

There's Little Big Planet, Little Big Planet 2 and Little Big Planet Karting available for the PS3.

Hurrah.

I sense LBP may be ruling our weekends for the forseeable... :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just looking at 'top' charts for ps3 platformers. Seems like there was a bit of a drop-off on those type of games with this console?

Also, I really like these strange point/click games on my desktop computer:

http://www.onemorelevel.com/game/nekra_psaria_3

http://amanita-design.net/samorost-1/

Now I know this gameplay wouldn't totally suit the ps2/3 because you can't really scan the screen as quickly with your joypad as with your mouse, but are there any games out there with some of the elements, but on a grand scale and with nice graphics?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As you said, that style doesn't really suit consoles, but have a look at The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain. Check out some YouTube videos to see if they're what you're looking for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah, I mean both of those look great and we'll defo be looking out for them.

Just wondered is there was anything as unhinged as the links I mentioned. A lot of the games reviewers describe as a bit bonkers or unlike anything else tend to have a Japanese dreamscape feel to them, which isn't really my bag...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know those games and I can't bring them up on my iPad so I'll have to leave the weird & wonderful games for someone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I don't know those games and I can't bring them up on my iPad so I'll have to leave the weird & wonderful games for someone else.

Ha! No worries mate, you've been very helpful so far :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, we got the PS3. £30 which I thought was a bit of a bargain.

Reading up more on LBP, some of it sounds a bit complicated. Do we have to build our own levels and stuff, or can we just plug in and play it like any other platformer?

Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, we got the PS3. £30 which I thought was a bit of a bargain.

Reading up more on LBP, some of it sounds a bit complicated. Do we have to build our own levels and stuff, or can we just plug in and play it like any other platformer?

Cheers.

Just play.

If you just want to play the story mode you can. Run through all the pre designed levels and don't worry about building anything.

But if you want you can then start building your own levels. It can take some time and patience but the things some people have built are amazing. You can also just download and play other people's levels if you just couldn't be arsed creating them, but would like to see what other people can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah... brilliant. Thanks. We might have a go at other people's once we've nailed (yeah) story mode.

I've found so many articles on how the 3D platformer pretty much died off with the PS3, so I guess it's time to start lookinh at all of the other kinds of games. We don't like any kind of driving games, that's for sure, nor fighting or sports games. We tend to lean mainly toward platformer & adventurer type stuff but we'll find stuff I'm sure, even if the platformers are 2(or 2.5)D. Not keen on the hand drawn looking ones though...
  • Options
    mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After me telling my gf that I used to like playing worms on the Playstation, she's gone out and bought me a ps2.

Suggestions?

MARRY HER
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you like platform games give ratchet and clank a go

there are loads of retro collections, atarti anthology, activision anthology, taito legends 1 and 2 and all the midway collections are best.

for snooker/pool games the world championship snooker ones are worthwhile, as are international cue club 1 and 2 and also pool paradise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah... brilliant. Thanks. We might have a go at other people's once we've nailed (yeah) story mode.

I've found so many articles on how the 3D platformer pretty much died off with the PS3, so I guess it's time to start lookinh at all of the other kinds of games. We don't like any kind of driving games, that's for sure, nor fighting or sports games. We tend to lean mainly toward platformer & adventurer type stuff but we'll find stuff I'm sure, even if the platformers are 2(or 2.5)D. Not keen on the hand drawn looking ones though...

Yeah the PS4 doesn't have many 3D plat formers. Apparently people don't want them anymore, which is nonsense. Because games are becoming so expensive to make, big studios are taking less risks. But many indie developers are making platformers, tho not really in 3D. This topic could break out in a whole conversation in itself.

But keep an eye on Yooka Laylee. It's a crowd funded project and looks like a nice fun platformer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival/video_share
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that looks really good...