What retro game are you currently playing?

2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
Forum Member
Well, seen as though this is now the official forum for all forms of retro chat, I thought I'd start a topic to see if anyone out there is playing any retro and if so, what are you playing! :) Plus you never know, we might even spark up some interesting conversation on really old games.

For me:

I've been pretty hooked just recently on The Chaos Engine on Amiga, such a a great game, not only is the soundtrack amazing but the gameplay is very fun. It' a cool little shooter but get's really hard on the 3rd World.

Also on the Amiga theme; a bit of Lotus 2, now I don't usually play old skool racing games as they tend not to age well and you're are more likely than not better off spending your time elsewhere, however this game has some real nice gameplay, the frame rate is liquid smooth as is the animations. It's a really fun racer and in 2 player it's a cracking game. I forgot this, and just assumed it had aged bad but I spent some quality time with it and now I love it again.:)

Anyway, over to you. (that is if anyone is playing retro games lol ;)

Comments

• He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I must one of the only people on the planet who still uses xbox live's Game Room

Yie Ar Kung-Fu
    Astroids
    Shao-Lin's Road
    Time Pilot
    Jail break

I was number 1 in the world at Shao-Lin's Road at one point. Not played it in a while so i'm probably not even in the top 100 anymore.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Every now and then I'll play Mickey Mania, Aladin and Earthworm Jim on Megadrive which are some awesome games.
    I've been trying to get to grips with Speedball 2 also on megadrive as that was one of my favourites back in the day, but so far I just keep on losing.
    A few Arcade titles that always get a play thanks to MAME are TMNT, The Simpsons, Track and Field, and my all time favourite WWF Wrestlefest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lotus Challenge 2, theres a blast from the past. The hills on that were mental. Forgot it was multiplayer. I recall you could use logs on the road to jump over water although my memory may be playing up.

Does anyone remember Nitro a top down racer. You could have 3 players, 2 on joypad port and another using keyboard. After each race you won money depending on what place you came and this could be used to improve your car. There was absolutely loads of levels and nightime races in the dark. Awesome game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes, when i can be arsed, i set up the Spectrum and load Tir-na-nog. But still have no idea WTF to do on it.

Also last classic game i played was Frog Bog on the intellivision. CLASSIC! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to replay zelda twilight princess but instead i decided it was ages since i'd played a link to the past :D

Fantastic game, i'm just about to enter the dreaded turtle rock!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    I was number 1 in the world at Shao-Lin's Road at one point. Not played it in a while so i'm probably not even in the top 100 anymore.

Nice one man, I find that game really tough. The best I ever done in terms of World leader-boards in games is when I come 2nd in the world on PS3 Shatter Bonus stage, I think may have slipped a few places now though. :)
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Every now and then I'll play Mickey Mania

I never played it, is it as good as Castle/World of Illusion? I may have to check it out.
    blindness wrote: »
    Lotus Challenge 2, theres a blast from the past. The hills on that were mental. Forgot it was multiplayer. I recall you could use logs on the road to jump over water although my memory may be playing up.

Does anyone remember Nitro a top down racer. You could have 3 players, 2 on joypad port and another using keyboard. After each race you won money depending on what place you came and this could be used to improve your car. There was absolutely loads of levels and nightime races in the dark. Awesome game.

Yeah you can use logs to jump over the water in Lotus, the hills are well fun, love Stage 2 (City at Night) and driving down the hills at the end, you get such a great sense of speed. Impressive game.

Yeah Nitro is true classic, we used to play that game back in the day, 3 of us all huddled around the A500 shouting and swearing at each other lol, good times. :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I play nearly all my old games on my old Game Boy Color (if that counts) and have an SNES emulator on my Mac. I love retro games :D
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    is it as good as Castle/World of Illusion?

Is anything as good as CoI?

I'm about to start my grand Final Fantasy re-play; VII, VIII, IX, X and XII all lined up. :cool:

I plan on finishing said re-play in about 5 year's time! :D
  • T0PPERT0PPER Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm playing Damocles, but not the Atari ST or Amiga versions.

It's been remade for PC and includes Mercenary, Damocles and Mercenary III.

http://mercenarysite.free.fr/mddclone.htm :)
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

I never played it, is it as good as Castle/World of Illusion? I may have to check it out.

COI is great, but for me I prefer Mickey Mania.
    I've played both the Megadrive and Snes version, but there's something that just keeps taking me back to the Megadrive version. The Snes version is missing the hidden Band Concert level and the staircase sequence in the Mad Doctor level, as well as a few special effects and some of Pluto's appearances. It also adds loading time screens in between each area.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Got some classics to play this Weekend

Cannon fodder
    Theme Park
    Settlers
    and Theme Hospital

Should be some good fun.
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    COI is great, but for me I prefer Mickey Mania.
    I've played both the Megadrive and Snes version, but there's something that just keeps taking me back to the Megadrive version. The Snes version is missing the hidden Band Concert level and the staircase sequence in the Mad Doctor level, as well as a few special effects and some of Pluto's appearances. It also adds loading time screens in between each area.

I will say that graphically it's one of the most impressive games I've seen on the Mega Drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Pac-man and Sonic the Hedgehog
  • pheonix1pheonix1 Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I nearly sh#t my pants when I saw this was available...

Elite.

No, really!

It's now legal freeware and as freeware has been re-branded as Oolite, and is available for free download at the main website...

http://www.oolite.org/

The graphics and gameplay physics are the same, but they have somehow improved the gaming gameplay.

In my spare time, I played it for 6 months solid until I reached the glorious rank!

And dam good fun I had playing it too!

Superb.

Oh,

And they've got their own forums too.
    Forum Member
    ^ I'm gonna have to get around to playing Oolite sometime, sounds great. :)

I've been reading some really old Zzap! 64 magazines (remember those?) and checking out some pretty cool C64 games while I'm at it, Armalyte is taking up some of my time, it's a great C64 shooter, not quite up to the same standards as Katakis for me but still really fun and very addictive. I also thought the C64 conversion of R-Type was cool too.

Oh yeah and I've been on a bit of a mission checking out as many conversions of Double Dragon as I can. I have to say the NES game is a lot better than I gave credit. I didn't realise that you gain extra moves as you play on, so I would definitely rank it higher than the Master System version. Mega Drive one is pretty good too, quite faithful to the arcade original in looks but lacks animation and somehow the gameplay just isn't quite right, still very good game though.

The best version of Double Dragon (even though it's cheating a bit as it's not a straight port) is the GBA game, Double Dragon Advance. If you can play this through the Game Cube GB Player then do so! It's amazing. :)
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started playing Sonic again. A true classic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pheonix1 wrote: »
    I nearly sh#t my pants when I saw this was available...

Elite.

No, really!

It's now legal freeware and as freeware has been re-branded as Oolite, and is available for free download at the main website...

http://www.oolite.org/

The graphics and gameplay physics are the same, but they have somehow improved the gaming gameplay.

In my spare time, I played it for 6 months solid until I reached the glorious rank!

And dam good fun I had playing it too!

Superb.

Oh,

And they've got their own forums too.

Do they still have the thargons? I loved my fuel scoops. :D

I had this on the spectrum. Remember the carboard overlay that you had to put over the rubber key keyboard. There were about 100 buttons. :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    Got some classics to play this Weekend

Cannon fodder
    Theme Park
    Settlers
    and Theme Hospital

Should be some good fun.

I used to play that one, first on Windows 95 and it also worked well on Windows XP.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently playing through the Golden Axe and Streets Of Rage games on my Blaze Megadrive Gopher. Also addicted to Dragons Fury Pinball on the same machine.

:) Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Sonic 2 from the marketplace... picked it up for 200msp on a sale, money well spent!!
  • nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Destruction Derby on PS3, of PS Network. Great playability still. Graphics arewhat youd expect for a 15 year old game.
  • SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded Theme Hospital on my PC the other day, bought back some fantastic memories. :)
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiirky wrote: »
    I downloaded Theme Hospital on my PC the other day, bought back some fantastic memories. :)

Even now I can still sit and play that game for hours. Brilliant game.
  • SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it on my PS1 back in the day, loved it then too, it was such an original concept for it's time :) And the illness's were hilarious.
    Invisible man syndrome anyone ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dungeon Keeper for me, playing it through Dosbox as its easier than trying to get it to run on Vista 64bit :D