"Not Scotland" - What are STV Playing At?

Comments

• Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what would happen if STV retaliated massively against ITV plc and stopped showing all popular ITV shows in Scotland. OK it's unlikely they would be brave enough to take off The X Factor, but they could if they wanted take out a big show like Emmerdale.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if STV retaliated massively against ITV plc and stopped showing all popular ITV shows in Scotland. OK it's unlikely they would be brave enough to take off The X Factor, but they could if they wanted take out a big show like Emmerdale.

I think if they had loads of complaints they possible would have to put the shows on ... but then think of their recent opt outs, been alot of unhappy people but then again I really do doubt STV care for the viewers just how they things fit for them
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    ITV has pulled the plug on Taggart: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/itv/itv-to-call-time-on-taggart/5027244.article

STV are now looking for production partners from other territories to keep the show going. They can't afford to fund it all themselves.

Well we have a Neighbours,Primeval, Baywatch and a Bold and The Beautiful scenario with Taggart now, as these are only kept alive in their native countries due to international sales or deals with other broadcasters.

If STV can't get the international broadcasters of Taggart on board such as the ABC in Australia, it's bye bye to the show.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member

And how exactly would that be 'realiation' - that would be STV signing it's death warrant.

STV and ITV have a better working relationship now anyway, and ITV have ordered a new one-off drama from them. However, that doesn't mean that ITV should keep Taggart on life-support indefinately to keep STV happy.

ITV have been enjoying a really succesful run of new drama, but the ratings for the last run of established drama, Taggart were truly dire on ITV. The show is not so much tired, but totally clapped out. STV need to make something new.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member

If STV took action like that they wouldn't be retaliating against ITV plc, they would merely be destroying their own patch of the ITV Network, namely their own franchises.

As STV barely make or commission anything original or compelling enough to command big advertising audiences their demise would surely soon follow.

And no doubt even more Sky customers would be looking in at channel 993 for their ITV Network programming.

I can see it now, a primetime version of 'The Hour', they might even stretch to a studio audience.
  • BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annabell Goldie, Iain Gray and Tavish Scot all have time on their hands now. Could they be the new STV crime fighting team? :cool:

Iain and Tavish could do the leg work - using their catch phrase "Damn you Alex Salmond!" in every episode - whilst Annabell could solve the crime without leaving her 'lounge' and still find time for helping at a charity shop, baking scones, giving sound advice to people and crocheting doillies.

Working Title; Scotlands Gold(ie). :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to point out, Taggart's ratings did hold up in it's 'home' market of Scotland, roughly on a par with previous series - proving why STV may be right to keep it on. And unlike Neighbours, where domestic ratings have been dwindling for many years, it may have to be funded by international broadcasters, but that's not arguably why it would have to stay on air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbc4ever wrote: »
    Just to point out, Taggart's ratings did hold up in it's 'home' market of Scotland, roughly on a par with previous series - proving why STV may be right to keep it on. And unlike Neighbours, where domestic ratings have been dwindling for many years, it may have to be funded by international broadcasters, but that's not arguably why it would have to stay on air.

i get the point here but come on we did they have to show the new episodes TWICE?, I can understand the drop on ITV1's end but STV are much to blame for this as ITV are.

I personally rather have it off now and STV actually do more but I'm not holding my breath possibly we will get more of snowed under and how to climb a scottish mountain:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    Annabell Goldie, Iain Gray and Tavish Scot all have time on their hands now. Could they be the new STV crime fighting team? :cool:

Iain and Tavish could do the leg work - using their catch phrase "Damn you Alex Salmond!" in every episode - whilst Annabell could solve the crime without leaving her 'lounge' and still find time for helping at a charity shop, baking scones, giving sound advice to people and crocheting doillies.

Working Title; Scotlands Gold(ie). :p

lol why not call it "the search for the scottish gold(ie)" lol or should it be "collie" lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    i get the point here but come on we did they have to show the new episodes TWICE?, I can understand the drop on ITV1's end but STV are much to blame for this as ITV are.

I personally rather have it off now and STV actually do more but I'm not holding my breath possibly we will get more of snowed under and how to climb a scottish mountain:rolleyes:

Taggart will probably turn up on Channel 5- they seem to pick up the past-it shows like Big Brother after their previous channels dropped them.

It'll probably have Cheryl Cole, Nadine Coyle, Jenna Jameson or Susan Kennedy from Neighbours in it knowing Channel 5.

Taggart could stay on air, but I doubt STV will be able to fund the show themselves, so will have to make deals with international broadcasters. ABC in Australia could be one, considering how popular Taggart is Down Under.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    Taggart will probably turn up on Channel 5- they seem to pick up the past-it shows like Big Brother after their previous channels dropped them.

It'll probably have Cheryl Cole, Nadine Coyle, Jenna Jameson or Susan Kennedy from Neighbours in it knowing Channel 5.

yeah I dont know why channel 5 would want it! ... I was discussing this with my mother and here is a question why is STV so concerned with "taggart"? ... they had "rebus" so surely let this series die and move onto something that was well started? but oh wait they dont see it STV can't move on they rather find someone else to HELP them keep it going ... does anyone remember ALIBI? they co-produced the recent series of it so why is stv not asking them again? Maybe ALIBI have tried and dont want nothing now to do with it ... so in short STV drop the programme and start doing NEW programmes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I dont know why channel 5 would want it! ... I was discussing this with my mother and here is a question why is STV so concerned with "taggart"? ... they had "rebus" so surely let this series die and move onto something that was well started? but oh wait they dont see it STV can't move on they rather find someone else to HELP them keep it going ... does anyone remember ALIBI? they co-produced the recent series of it so why is stv not asking them again? Maybe ALIBI have tried and dont want nothing now to do with it ... so in short STV drop the programme and start doing NEW programmes!

Well STV are trying to fund another home for Taggart, so Channel 5 was suggested as they've just picked up Big Brother when C4 didn't want it anymore.

2011 seems to be cancellation ville as the long-running shows are going this year- All My Children, One Life to Live and Taggart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well STV are trying to fund another home for Taggart, so Channel 5 was suggested as they've just picked up Big Brother when C4 didn't want it anymore.

2011 seems to be cancellation ville as the long-running shows are going this year- All My Children, One Life to Live and Taggart.

seems to be .... but I dont understand passing it to channel 5 its like channel 5 is becoming a dumping ground for programmes (uk) I cant see it being honest but ok how would it exactly work if STV/CH5 produced it? would it be shown on STV or would channel 5 be the ones showing it? if it was both I might as well chuck out my tv! lol
    Forum Member
    bbc4ever wrote: »

What were the shares like ?

Of course, STV showed it in the prime 9pm slot directly after X Factor (whilst the rest of the UK were lapping up Downton Abbey).

And seriously, why would Five want it ? Five don't invest in costly domestic drama, and to be quite honest with the figures around 2m on ITV, it would be lucky to get half that. They'd rather invest in US shows.
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two years back STV had "STV top 30" programme,

Wheel of fortunes come in at No12, Glen Micheal was No6, high road was No3, was two and top of the broad, you guessed it Taggart.

It would be nice if there could created More new drama
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    Two years back STV had "STV top 30" programme,

Wheel of fortunes come in at No12, Glen Micheal was No6, high road was No3, was two and top of the broad, you guessed it Taggart.

It would be nice if there could created More new drama

Well they have one being made with ITV at moment but STV is lacking in making new things for themselves they rather do it cheaply and just import it in. I wonder if this is STV going back to the way things were before the dispute?

Regarding the STV top 30 programme (never watched it) did that ACTUALLY include programmes made by Grampian TV also or was it all "Scottish"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    seems to be .... but I dont understand passing it to channel 5 its like channel 5 is becoming a dumping ground for programmes (uk) I cant see it being honest but ok how would it exactly work if STV/CH5 produced it? would it be shown on STV or would channel 5 be the ones showing it? if it was both I might as well chuck out my tv! lol

There is not a chance Channel 5 will touch Taggart. The last series viewing figures were truly awful but the demographics were even worse. 60% of the audience were over 65 and 20% over 50. So basically 80% of it's audience were over 50 and there is no way 5 would want that.
    The viewing figures held up in Scotland but they did not outperform Itv which of course were showing Downton Abbey.
    Also, Stv can't take it anywhere for 18 months as that was part of their deal with Itv.
    The should preserve the legacy of Taggart and end it now rather than devalue it by making it for less & less money.
    All good things must come to an end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is not a chance Channel 5 will touch Taggart. The last series viewing figures were truly awful but the demographics were even worse. 60% of the audience were over 65 and 20% over 50. So basically 80% of it's audience were over 50 and there is no way 5 would want that.
    The viewing figures held up in Scotland but they did not outperform Itv which of course were showing Downton Abbey.
    Also, Stv can't take it anywhere for 18 months as that was part of their deal with Itv.
    The should preserve the legacy of Taggart and end it now rather than devalue it by making it for less & less money.
    All good things must come to an end.

i have to agree with you there supersaint ... STV let the programme die peacefully now and THINK of other things!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant find my post lol but hell ... I was getting told that STV had to do something about what the countries represented on the hour, i maybe wrong but was told that they spoke about france and spain about what they made (i think thats what it was) but all they came out with for germany was the sausage?? ... come on now you can't tell me this is a channel that uses kids to do research on different countries for god sake STV grow up!
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we have a Neighbours,Primeval, Baywatch and a Bold and The Beautiful scenario with Taggart now, as these are only kept alive in their native countries due to international sales or deals with other broadcasters.

If STV can't get the international broadcasters of Taggart on board such as the ABC in Australia, it's bye bye to the show.

Taggart is massive in Australia and I wonder if STV will team up with ABC to keep it going. Also I think the show should be extended to 90 minutes again and maybe offered to Channel Five in England, who seem to keep shows alive that are failing on other channels but still have a follwoing.
  • corporatemediacorporatemedia Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I have followed this thread a long time and the same stupid petty arguements keep coming up. Thank God the people on this thread are not typical of the Scottish people in general.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have followed this thread a long time and the same stupid petty arguements keep coming up. Thank God the people on this thread are not typical of the Scottish people in general.

they maybe petty arguements but its just points that are made, my posts maybe stupid but I am speaking from the north east of scotland and what STV gives the rest of us scots is we all sound the same... (dont know if your having a go at me here)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taggart is massive in Australia and I wonder if STV will team up with ABC to keep it going. Also I think the show should be extended to 90 minutes again and maybe offered to Channel Five in England, who seem to keep shows alive that are failing on other channels but still have a follwoing.

With ABCs funding situation, there is no way that they would be able to be anything other than a very small partner is an overal co-production deal.

As previously mentioned, with its demo performance and overal performace on TV earlier in the year, there is no way that channel five would want it, when they could get an american import that would perform better (especially in the demo) at a lot lower cost.

I would say the only hope for the programme is if BBC worldwide were willing to do a deal, and im just not sure they would want to.
    Forum Member

Well perhaps you'd like to steer the thread back on course and make a worthy contribution then ? Or was that it ?
  • corporatemediacorporatemedia Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    ITV is the only channel to axe it. STV still own the rights and have future plans for more feature length episodes. The worldwide distribution rights are a goldmine for STV. There is no way they will sell this off to any channel especially to channel 5. ITV allowed them the opportunity to remake Minder and now regret missing the opportunity themselves and although the series was good channel 5 never had the money to continue the series and dropped it after one series. Taggart will return on STV as the ratings in Scotland were far better than in England and the worldwide distribution and STV's new backers abroad will help pay for it.

STV and the last series got good ratings in Scotland when it was aired.
    John Michie is currently working on Corrie but his story on the show will be spread out over a year his actual time working on the show is a lot less. If however he is offered more time and excepts to stay on then Taggart will still continue without him after all it did without Neil Duncan and James Macpherson.

STV got everything it wanted out of this new deal with ITV.

To buy programmes independently and pay only for what they use.
    To get greater control of their schedule and to buy in from other sources.

The opportunity to refuse drama and sporting events in favour of other programming or local content.

ITV to work closer with STV on an equal basis.

ITV also got what they wanted

A settlement from STV (an offer STV first made 2 years ago) and for STV to buy in more drama

STV will buy in more Drama on their terms but in order to try more programming from other sources Sport will be sacrificed.

STV has invested heavily on online services, HD and STV Player impossible under ITV and has seen it's companies profits double during it's opt out period. They have also invested in local News and will continue to expand this but it will not happen over night.

The new agreement between ITV and STV will benefit each other and the new management at ITV seem to want to make things work they found descrepencys in ITV's account and decided an out of court agreement was best for all. ITV had no case otherwise they would have gone to court and tried to wipe out STV.

The new relationship between ITV and STV will improve and benefit the viewers and both companies are already working on 2 projects together one of which will be seen at Christmas and one later next year. Although STV is commited to the Channel 3 licence and working alongside ITV, STV is a business and like ITV it will do what is best for their company and their viewers.
This discussion has been closed.