Options

I don't understand the BBC and its football coverage

2»

Comments

• Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I would assume that it was decided that the Scottish commentary would not be palatible to the rest of the UK?

(To be fair, it can sometimes be a struggle for us "southies" to understand some Scots accents). Sorry but it's true.:o

I feel sure that most Scots viewers would have appreciated the "local" coverage.

I suspect it's one of the few occasions when they may feel they're getting something back for their license fee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I would assume that it was decided that the Scottish commentary would not be palatible to the rest of the UK?

(To be fair, it can sometimes be a struggle for us "southies" to understand some Scots accents). Sorry but it's true.:o

I feel sure that most Scots viewers would have appreciated the "local" coverage.

I suspect it's one of the few occasions when they may feel they're getting something back for their license fee.

Well, I'm 'sorry', but I'm afraid saying "sorry but it's true" doesn't stop your comment from being rather offensive.

We 'northies' have to put up with Eastenders clogging our schedules. Deal with it.

And when I say taking umbrage, I mean Scottish people who are sick fed up of coverage of major tournaments being ruined by constant mentions of En-ger-land when there are 15/31 in the World Cup other nations playing. We're neutrals. When watching France vs Portugal, for example, we don't really give a damn about England and would prefer some actual half time and full time analysis about the game we are watching (and partly paid for the rights to) thank you very much.

One rule for England games, and quite another for the other home nations. Double standards however it is dressed.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbc4ever wrote: »
    Well, I'm 'sorry', but I'm afraid saying "sorry but it's true" doesn't stop your comment from being rather offensive.

We 'northies' have to put up with Eastenders clogging our schedules. Deal with it.

And when I say taking umbrage, I mean Scottish people who are sick fed up of coverage of major tournaments being ruined by constant mentions of En-ger-land when there are 15/31 in the World Cup other nations playing. We're neutrals. When watching France vs Portugal, for example, we don't really give a damn about England and would prefer some actual half time and full time analysis about the game we are watching (and partly paid for the rights to) thank you very much.

One rule for England games, and quite another for the other home nations. Double standards however it is dressed.

To be fair the coverage of England matches on the BBC when England have been playing badly, has reflected that England have played badly. So much so that it was rumored that the FA took away the FA Cup contract from the BBC, partly because of that.

Its certainly not being a case of: "England are great," whenever England has been on the BBC. If England have been bad, they say that.

And whilst England have had a lot of coverage in tournaments when they have been there, 1) so would any other home nation if they qualified, and 2) you do get half time and full time analysis of the other games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And so, what, BBC Scotland are incapable of providing unbiased Scotland coverage that would have been suitable for the network to take?

Double standards. Sportscene not good enough for England when Scotland are playing, but Match of the Day good enough for Scotland when England are playing?

And don't mention Hansen, or your argument will fall even further.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbc4ever wrote: »
    And so, what, BBC Scotland are incapable of providing unbiased Scotland coverage that would have been suitable for the network to take?

Double standards. Sportscene not good enough for England when Scotland are playing, but Match of the Day good enough for Scotland when England are playing?

And don't mention Hansen, or your argument will fall even further.

I didn't say that.

I agree that the Sportscene programme should have been networked. And those of us in England are not totally unfamilar with the Sportscene programme.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Alan Hansen was thankfully kept the hell away from both programmes, Liverpool legend or not, he gets on my tits in a way thats almost murder inducing!!!!
    (Male Liverpool supporter by the way)