Need help please

I have a Dell Studio laptop. I switched it on on Friday and it did a Windows Update, then nothing! I switched it off again and now I cannot access the internet at all.

When I switch it on it starts to "do a repair" but that's all, it goes no further.

My pc is 5 years old and this is the first problem I have had with it.

Anybody know what I should do before I take it to the repair shop?

Thanks.

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Try starting in safe mode, tap F8 as the computer is booting up.
    Choose safe mode and administrator to log in. When (if) it loads up go to system restore and pick a date before Friday to restore it to.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these 2 separate faults?
    Are you saying when it boots up, it reports an error and tries to repair?
    When you say you can't access the internet, is windows trying to repair the connection to the router? In which case turning the router off and on may sort it.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    @ tealady, I think you read the post more carefully than I did, l was thinking the computer would not load up.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that a better explanation is required from the OP.
    The way I read it it is that the OP cannot access the internet because "... I switch it on it starts to "do a repair" but that's all, it goes no further..."
  • jamin21jamin21 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    Are these 2 separate faults?
    Are you saying when it boots up, it reports an error and tries to repair?
    When you say you can't access the internet, is windows trying to repair the connection to the router? In which case turning the router off and on may sort it.

It just automatically does a start up repair. I have switched the router on/off. I cannot access the internet at all because it just "sticks" after it has done the repair. Thanks for replying.
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Try starting in safe mode, tap F8 as the computer is booting up.
    Choose safe mode and administrator to log in. When (if) it loads up go to system restore and pick a date before Friday to restore it to.

I have pressed F8 and it goes so far and then sticks.

I have just checked it and it has the Microsoft Corporation logo at the bottom of the screen but still not accessing the internet.
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    I think that a better explanation is required from the OP.
    The way I read it it is that the OP cannot access the internet because "... I switch it on it starts to "do a repair" but that's all, it goes no further..."

That's right. Sorry but I am very green when it comes to computers!
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    jamin21 wrote: »
    I cannot access the internet at all because it just "sticks" after it has done the repair.

Forget about the Internet connection, that's just confusing the issue. Right now, Windows isn't even loading, so there's going to be no Internet or anything else.

What exactly does it say during the repair and what is on the screen after the repair has finished?

Unfortunately, if the start-up repair doesn't work, and you can't boot into Safe Mode and pressing F8 doesn't bring up a menu, then your options are going to be limited. A Vista disk may be necessary to access further recovery options, or failing that, you'll still have the final option to restore to factory settings (which will wipe any files you haven't backed up).
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    Forget about the Internet connection, that's just confusing the issue. Right now, Windows isn't even loading, so there's going to be no Internet or anything else.

What exactly does it say during the repair and what is on the screen after the repair has finished?

Unfortunately, if the start-up repair doesn't work, and you can't boot into Safe Mode and pressing F8 doesn't bring up a menu, then your options are going to be limited. A Vista disk may be necessary to access further recovery options, or failing that, you'll still have the final option to restore to factory settings (which will wipe any files you haven't backed up).

After the start up repair, it goes into the accessing the internet mode but it goes no further then I switch the pc off. I have now pressed F8 and gone to restore point but it has not worked either. When I pressed F8 safe mode it did not work either.

How do I restore to factory settings?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamin21 wrote: »
    After the start up repair, it goes into the accessing the internet mode but it goes no further then I switch the pc off. I have now pressed F8 and gone to restore point but it has not worked either. When I pressed F8 safe mode it did not work either.

How do I restore to factory settings?
    What version of Windows?

I don't understand why a startup repair "goes into accessing the internet mode". What exactly does it say?

Do you have a backup of all your data? If you don't, then a factory restore will lose all your data. be careful!
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may help for the F8 option
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p852Jp6csE
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I don't know either what you mean by "access the internet mode ".
    Does the pc ever boot to the normal desktop? Can you describe or take a photo and upload to photobucket of where it is getting stuck.
    Forum Member
    At last, I managed to do a system restore and everything looks to be in working order now.

I changed my antivirus a few weeks ago from Antivir to Avast and whether that had anything to do with it I don't know. As I said, I have never had a problem like this before.

I would like to thank you all very much for your help (and patience). It is very much appreciated. x
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't already got your data files backed up, now would be a good time to start doing so regularly, for lots of reasons including the possibility that the problem returns.