Why is Nazi Germany criticised so much?

blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
Forum Member
People seem to constantly criticise Nazi Germany, but in what way was it any different from the British Empire? :confused:

Both countries invaded any country they liked, and both committed ethnic cleansing and genocide. :rolleyes:

The German Empire invaded nearly all of Europe and even invaded the Soviet Union, something even the USA would never have done. If anything they were a success.

Comments

• MagicMonkeyMagicMonkey Posts: 2,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How abt napoleon? probably 6 million dead during the Napoleonic wars, and everywhere in France today hes glorified as a hero.
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    I suspect it's the niggly matter that was 'the holocaust'...

Regards,

Cypher
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People seem to constantly criticise Nazi Germany, but in what way was it any different from the British Empire? :confused:

Both countries invaded any country they liked, and both committed ethnic cleansing and genocide. :rolleyes:

The German Empire invaded nearly all of Europe and even invaded the Soviet Union, something even the USA would never have done. If anything they were a success.
    And in just a few short years Germany was a defeated wreck. Some success.

As for invasions, the British Empire was basically founded on trade and exploration rather than conquest.

Would you like to identify the genocide and ethnic cleansing the British Empire committed, and then compare that with the horrific record of Nazi Germany.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    It is how politicians of then want history to be portrayed and maipulated. Although, what is written and what happened may be exaggerated to cause fear. Although, the genocide know as the holocaust did happen. As it is the most recent! The english speaking media which majority is jewish owned won't let you forget it.

But, there were the previous genocides gone previously ie. in Spain - spanish Inquisition, th Christian Crusades, the roman empire and killing of the huns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britain didn't set out to systematically wipe certain groups of people off the face of the earth - Jews, gypsies, gays, mentally ill
  • therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Britain didn't set out to systematically wipe certain groups of people off the face of the earth - Jews, gypsies, gays, mentally ill

But many British leaders in the past have burned Irish communities to the ground and beaten and murdered Irish peoples loved ones. I guess because that wasn't on such a scale as the Holocaust that it is ok then?

People yap on about the Nazis all the time, yet nobody for some bizarre reason ever talks about the atrocities that Stalin committed, that the Red Army committed in the second world war and indeed the bombing of Dresden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But many British leaders in the past have burned Irish communities to the ground and beaten and murdered Irish peoples loved ones. I guess because that wasn't on such a scale as the Holocaust that it is ok then?

People yap on about the Nazis all the time, yet nobody for some bizarre reason ever talks about the atrocities that Stalin committed, that the Red Army committed in the second world war and indeed the bombing of Dresden.
    The British weren't trying to wipe out the Irish though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You extrapolate too far! There's no way I would say that the Brits were angels and the Irish - British conflicts have atrocities on both sides.

Apologies for not mentioning the Russians - would you now apologise for not mentioning the Khmer Rouge? Or does just not mentioning some other group mean, this time, that we are just not mentioning them rather than we we don't care about them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Totalitarianism and eugenics - a dangerous combination.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    The British weren't trying to wipe out the Irish though.

Oh I know. They were just interested in beating women and children, and burning towns down. That's ok though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mithy73 wrote: »
    Totalitarianism and eugenics - a dangerous combination.

... and the USA have come close to the first and done the second :eek: :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You extrapolate too far! There's no way I would say that the Brits were angels and the Irish - British conflicts have atrocities on both sides.

Apologies for not mentioning the Russians - would you now apologise for not mentioning the Khmer Rouge? Or does just not mentioning some other group mean, this time, that we are just not mentioning them rather than we we don't care about them?

Sorry, but the only reason the British have atrocities is because of the fact it was the British that invaded first and started the whole thing.

Why would I apologise? That has nothing to do with World War 2, which is what I was clearly referring to as I listed numerous WW2 related atrocities.
  • subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toony™® wrote: »
    It is how politicians of then want history to be portrayed and maipulated. Although, what is written and what happened may be exaggerated to cause fear. Although, the genocide know as the holocaust did happen. As it is the most recent! The english speaking media which majority is jewish owned won't let you forget it.

But, there were the previous genocides gone previously ie. in Spain - spanish Inquisition, th Christian Crusades, the roman empire and killing of the huns.

If the world forgets the "Jewish" story, (like all other forgotten stories) then Israel won't be able to do what its doing right now.....all in the name of "protecting its people", "vowing never to be victims again", at all and I mean, at all costs, no matter what it takes, period.

very dangerous
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Oh save us - the whole of human history is littered with atrocity - ooh weren't the Nazis bad, but the Russians were worse, oh and don't forget Napoleon, and the religious wars throughout history, the Crusades, the Greek wars and on and on and on away into the very mists of time when the first human crawled out of the ooze. Face facts - the human race is basically a vile abomination, or Mother Nature's very bad joke. Take your pick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but the only reason the British have atrocities is because of the fact it was the British that invaded first and started the whole thing.

Why would I apologise? That has nothing to do with World War 2, which is what I was clearly referring to as I listed numerous WW2 related atrocities.

The English, Irish, Scottish, Welash and French were at each others for 1500 years. Atrocities all over the place on all sides so none of us should get all holier-than-thou against any of the others

The OP was not refrring to WW2 - The British weren't empire building then - I had no idea you'd changed the tack of the thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Oh save us - the whole of human history is littered with atrocity - ooh weren't the Nazis bad, but the Russians were worse, oh and don't forget Napoleon, and the religious wars throughout history, the Crusades, the Greek wars and on and on and on away into the very mists of time when the first human crawled out of the ooze. Face facts - the human race is basically a vile abomination, or Mother Nature's very bad joke. Take your pick.

I can't argue with any of that :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »

This.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The English, Irish, Scottish, Welash and French were at each others for 1500 years. Atrocities all over the place on all sides so none of us should get all holier-than-thou against any of the others

The OP was not refrring to WW2 - The British weren't empire building then - I had no idea you'd changed the tack of the thread

If you scroll up to the actual post, you will see that my next paragraph related directly to the actual topic at hand here - the Nazis. The first paragraph obviously relates to your quote, but the space, and writing after that where the Nazis are clearly mentioned, relate to the actual nature of this whole topic. Not really that hard to understand. :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you scroll up to the actual post, you will see that my next paragraph related directly to the actual topic at hand here - the Nazis. The first paragraph obviously relates to your quote, but the space, and writing after that where the Nazis are clearly mentioned, relate to the actual nature of this whole topic. Not really that hard to understand. :yawn:

With hindsight it is - at the time it wasn't - apologies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem and I would agree with the other poster - humanity will always have atrocities - just says a lot about human beings and mad men who think they can take over the world, or try to do so.
  • SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it funny the fact that the BNP say the English Race are the most superior race of all based on the 500+ year history of the British Empire, it was the largest empire in human history etc. The BNP have always used that as a measuring stick set in stone to show that, regardless of where politcal correctness and immigration may take this country, take the British "race" is/was the most powerful race on the planet and this is alleged definitive proof of that regardless of future miscegenation, I guess it's what motivates them to their beliefs. All a bit stupid really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I know. They were just interested in beating women and children, and burning towns down. That's ok though.
    Please get a sense of perspective.

It is also nonsense to claim, as you did above, that no one mentions the atrocities Stalin committed or the bombing of Dresden.
  • SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relating to thread OP, I think the Germans attempted to build their empire too late in all honesty. The worlds attitudes were very much different when Britain, France, Spain etc were doing it. By the 20th century the world had largely begun to condemn the concept of colonialism (sort of).

If they had formed as a nation a few hundred years earlier they definitely would have had a larger share of the world then no problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Please get a sense of perspective.

It is also nonsense to claim, as you did above, that no one mentions the atrocities Stalin committed or the bombing of Dresden.

Please research Cromwell's rule in Ireland. Read any book on it and you will find that women and children were beaten and towns were burned to a cinder.

Research the Black and Tans in Ireland as well and you will find that women and children and the families of Irish men were tortured and beaten.

Get a sense of perspective on that and then come back. :rolleyes:
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please research Cromwell's rule in Ireland. Read any book on it and you will find that women and children were beaten and towns were burned to a cinder.

Research the Black and Tans in Ireland as well and you will find that women and children and the families of Irish men were tortured and beaten.

Get a sense of perspective on that and then come back. :rolleyes:

I have researched Cromwell's Irish campaign, and to try to equate it in any way, shape, or form, to the Nazi attempt at genocide is so historically innacurate as to be laughable.

Also, as you quite rightly point out, the black and tans did commit serious crimes, but again, no way can these be compared to the deportation of whole communities by the third reich.

Dont ask for other to get a sense of perspective, when the lack of such in your posts is so great.