Options

Goalkeeper attacked by a thug

Comments

• Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Whenever we get these incidents of football supporters doing something bad we always get the same language

'oh, the so-called supporter'

'he's not a real fan'

this morning on Sunday Supplement looking at the story 'supporter is not really the right word to use'

Does anyone else think this is ridiculous ?

Why can't you be both a football fan AND a thug ?

The two things are not mutually inconsistant

Let's take an analogy..............lets say someone with a large collection of stamps murders his wife and the tabloids refer to him as 'the stamp collector killer'

Would the British Philately Society come out and say 'well, he's not a real stamp collector...........this so-called stamp collector'

See what I mean ............collecting stamps and killing people are not mutually exclusive activites

Neither, I contend M'Lud, are being a football fan and a thug.
    Well the argument that people would make is that he's not a "real" fan if he behaves in a way that harms the game. The killer stamp collector collects stamps either way, that's just a fact that can't be disputed.
  • Options
    WhothamanWhothaman Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    egghead1 wrote: »
    It was an open two hand push to the face not a punch,not enough to knock you over.

How can you say that if you weren't on the receiving end? If you said "it didn't look enough to knock you over" that would be fair enough.

For what it's worth I think his reaction was genuine. It was unexpected and whilst not a punch the force jolted his head right back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    A lady I work with was hit full on in the face last year when the wind got behind a heavy door and it slammed in her face, breaking her nose. She was shocked and injured, and covered in blood, but whilst she staggered about, she at least didn't drop to the floor and roll around as if she had just been shot.

Whoopee**kindoo!

But totally irrelevant.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    why is someone from cheltenham supporting leeds?? it's just a shame the goalie didnt retaliate and knock 7 bells out of him but then he run off like the coward he is.

he needs to go to jail for a bit
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Whothaman wrote: »
    Whoopee**kindoo!

But totally irrelevant.

At least we have that in common.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »
    why is someone from cheltenham supporting leeds?? it's just a shame the goalie didnt retaliate and knock 7 bells out of him but then he run off like the coward he is.

The goalie couldn't retaliate because the girly shove in the face he got made him fall on the floor critically injured. I wonder how long it took for it to dawn on him that there was going to be no red card forthcoming on this occasion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At least we have that in common.

Hilarious.

Your comparison however was ridiculous. Two totally different situations with completely different outcomes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit more info on the idiot who did this. Was due in court tommorow following his third breach of his banning order.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220902/Chris-Kirkland-attacked-Leeds-United-yob-attacked-goalkeeper-pitch-banned-football-grounds-previous-acts-hooliganism.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hilarious.

Your comparison however was ridiculous. Two totally different situations with completely different outcomes.

It was merely to illustrate that getting a whack in the face more often than not does not lead to falling over like some big girlyman. I see people getting knocked in the face week in, week out, and harder than this guy got. Difference being, there's no theatrics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was merely to illustrate that getting a whack in the face more often than not does not lead to falling over like some big girlyman. I see people getting knocked in the face week in, week out, and harder than this guy got. Difference being, there's no theatrics.

It illustrates nothing. Different people react differently to different things. Some boxers take a punch better than others, some hit harder than others. Some boxers got hit by Mike Tyson and went down, others didn't. Too many things contribute to an incident like this and the resulting outcome. Each incident is different.

To me it looked genuine and I saw no evidence that he exaggerated his injuries.
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    There is a thread about this on the football board.
    I am a Leeds supporter and think it is appalling.
    He has been named and apparently is someone who has already been banned and used someone else's membership card and ticket to get in to the match. He will be jailed hopefully but has already said on his FB page (now removed) that he likes being in prison so I'm not sure how much of a deterrent that will be.
    He is not typical of Leeds fans but I am sure the club will receive some punishment as well.

I'm a Leeds fan and lived in Leeds all my life, seen the glory days and the very bad days and this event was one of them. What I find difficult to understand is when that guy ran back I to the crowd not one of the "supporters" jumped on him to hand him over to the police, quite the opposite

Leeds have always had a reputation and this has done nothing to change anyone's mind, I for one won't be bothering again. Been to Newcastle Ground a few times and what a difference! Total ends f the spectrum, Mr Bates has a lot to answer for
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To me it looked genuine and I saw no evidence that he exaggerated his injuries.

To me, the opposite is true. So lets leave it there. We're both only speculating, neither is right or wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    muddipaws wrote: »
    I'm a Leeds fan and lived in Leeds all my life, seen the glory days and the very bad days and this event was one of them. What I find difficult to understand is when that guy ran back I to the crowd not one of the "supporters" jumped on him to hand him over to the police, quite the opposite

Leeds have always had a reputation and this has done nothing to change anyone's mind, I for one won't be bothering again. Been to Newcastle Ground a few times and what a difference! Total ends f the spectrum, Mr Bates has a lot to answer for

I remember when Bates was at Chelsea he used to give the opposition a bit of stick in the match day program. Does he still do that?
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Bates was at Chelsea he used to give the opposition a bit of stick in the match day program. Does he still do that?

Yes odious man and lots of people drive round with car stickers to "get Bates out". He won't spend money, the ground is just awful and seems to be stuck in its old ways. It just can't seem to move on
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you watch football matches, many go down like a ton of bricks and roll around if someone only touches them.If your 6ft odd and heavy , theres no way you should go down like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »

I hope this bad publicity for the club doesn't scupper any potential takeover which will mean Mr Bates is no longer there.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, the opposite is true. So lets leave it there. We're both only speculating, neither is right or wrong.

The difference being of course, that one poster is willing to look at what actually happened and give the benefit of the doubt to a goalkeeper who was, without any provocation whatsoever, assaulted. And your own response to the situation, which is to suggest that the goalkeeper is a 'big girlyman,' for reacting like any normal human being would when attacked without warning.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    If you watch football matches, many go down like a ton of bricks and roll around if someone only touches them.If your 6ft odd and heavy , theres no way you should go down like that.

The difference here being the element of surprise. Military historians are more than keen on its efficacy.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet this is called an "alleged" assault?

Obviously going to be very hard to prove he done it!!!! :rolleyes:

And whats his background? Seems to have been a yob since about 16, when he was banned from all grounds. Mum & Dad split up when he was young or something like that? No father figure in his life?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    If you watch football matches, many go down like a ton of bricks and roll around if someone only touches them.

Louis Suarez :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »

Well I've lived in Cornwall for the last ten years but I'm originally from the Leeds area...Yorkshire born and bred. There's a whole myriad of reasons someone might support a team they're based far away from. In fact there is some speculation amongst football fans that the majority of Manchester United supporters don't actually come from Manchester :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    The difference being of course, that one poster is willing to look at what actually happened and give the benefit of the doubt to a goalkeeper who was, without any provocation whatsoever, assaulted. And your own response to the situation, which is to suggest that the goalkeeper is a 'big girlyman,' for reacting like any normal human being would when attacked without warning.

Most normal human beings don't do that, that's my point. :D
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Sinistra wrote: »
    He ought tp be surgically implanted with a bug to report his whereabouts at all times during match days. If he is anywhere near a football stadium lock him up for the day.

I'm not sure that would be practical or legal.
    habby wrote: »
    I bet this is called an "alleged" assault?

Obviously going to be very hard to prove he done it!!!! :rolleyes:

Until he's found guilty they have to say that else it might be contempt of court and prejudice a trial.
    habby wrote: »
    And whats his background? Seems to have been a yob since about 16, when he was banned from all grounds. Mum & Dad split up when he was young or something like that? No father figure in his life?

His background is irrelevant.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main disturbing thing about this is what were the stewards doing, or not doing, to stop those morons running on the pitch?

Its actually a criminal offence to run on to a football pitch while a game is taking place. The other ones who run on should also be prosecuted.

I know at Spurs they keep some extra stewards in the corners of the pitch as a 'snatch squad' to run after anyone trying this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The man has now been arrested.

They showed the assault on Sky News just now in slow motion and it looked far worse than it did originally.