Options

Anyone still play conkers in this day and age?

Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
Forum Member
Not seen one for about 15-20 years. What happened?

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen any kids playing conkers lately. I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some around, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    A lot of schools have banned them.

I haven't seen any conkers at all for years either but then again I don't go out much these days.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read about it on here before, but I've never played that or seen anyone in real life play it.

So I'll wager a bet at no, no one does anymore.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    That is a myth about schools banning conkers. It was a few that did for other reasons other than 'dangerous to play' and it turned into people thinking everywhere bans the things.

When I was little I played conkers, in and out of school. And now, I still see children play conkers, collecting conkers and playing in school.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    That is a myth about schools banning conkers. It was a few that did for other reasons other than 'dangerous to play' and it turned into people thinking everywhere bans the things.

When I was little I played conkers, in and out of school. And now, I still see children play conkers, collecting conkers and playing in school.

Conkers were banned in all the schools in my county - or at least that's what my school told us. :o
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    It really is a myth.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure kids play cookers any more, everytime I go by a cooker tree in the park, there's loads on the ground. When I was a kid youd be lucky to find one, most were snatched up within seconds of them falling off the tree :D
  • Options
    LiverpoolFCGirlLiverpoolFCGirl Posts: 15,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh God, this brings back memories. There was a conker tree right at the end of my road when I was a child. I filled these plastic bags with them every year so I could win, but promptly forgot all about them and went back to a bag full of this fluffy mould. I think that's where my phobia of mould comes from actually! :o
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    The last time I remember playing conkers was in about 1996.
  • Options
    mickzmickz Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Against the law I think :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    MeMeMe01 wrote: »
    You stopped going outside? You were looking for them in a library? You couldn't work out how to open your eyes?

Actual lol. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Nope!
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Not seen one for about 15-20 years. What happened?

Er it's not the 60s anymore, kids don't have to resort to playing with conkers because there's nothing else to do
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Nope. I never played it even as a kid and I grew up in the 90s. Is there an app for it? :D
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't played conkers since I was a kid. However, I cannot wait until my kids are old enough to play because we will be the first ones down the park, chucking sticks at the Horse Chestnut trees! :D

Anyone remember the various tricks used to supposedly make conkers much harder? Soaking them in vinegar. Cooking them in the oven. Putting them in the airing cupboard for a couple of weeks. None of them bloody well worked! :D

The only one I still think may work is putting them in a drawer for several years. I put a conker in one of my bedroom drawers about twenty years ago and it's still there. I intend to pass this unbeatable conker on to my kids in another few years!
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there werent any conkers this year, mild winter, cold spring, shit summer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. I never played it even as a kid and I grew up in the 90s. Is there an app for it? :D

I grew up in the 90s too. Me and my friends never played conkers but we used to collect them. No idea why.
  • Options
    mandosomandoso Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't played conkers since I was a kid. However, I cannot wait until my kids are old enough to play because we will be the first ones down the park, chucking sticks at the Horse Chestnut trees! :D

Anyone remember the various tricks used to supposedly make conkers much harder? Soaking them in vinegar. Cooking them in the oven. Putting them in the airing cupboard for a couple of weeks. None of them bloody well worked! :D

The only one I still think may work is putting them in a drawer for several years. I put a conker in one of my bedroom drawers about twenty years ago and it's still there. I intend to pass this unbeatable conker on to my kids in another few years!

That was my first thought too, all the ridiculous things that we tried to have the best conker in the playground
  • Options
    SWilkesSWilkes Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I'm 52 and played conkers with my 3 year old grandson about 6 weeks ago. He loved it, but he beat me three games on the trot so packed all the conkers we had collected away and played snakes and ladders with him instead
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We still go and collect them as a family event. They were pretty poor this year.