Have you ever gone off a singer/band?

13»

Comments

• woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey

Absolutely loved her 1990-2000

I think Glitter was her last good album for me . Don't like all the rap stuff in her songs. I think now her voice has gone too.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    The Holy Bible album was really disliked by many people in its day. But many rate it as their best ever nowadays. I love that album.

Some of their more recent albums are pretty good too, though. Send Away the Tigers and Journal for Plague Lovers aren't bad at all.

The Holy Bible is great, I don't mind most of the Manic Street Preachers stuff, but the last of their albums I bought was Know Your Enemy.
    Used to buy their singles for the non album tracks, until the daft rule of a single having to have less than 11 minutes of music to qualify for the charts.
    One of the reasons for the decline of the single, I reckon.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Holy Bible is great, I don't mind most of the Manic Street Preachers stuff, but the last of their albums I bought was Know Your Enemy.
    Used to buy their singles for the non album tracks, until the daft rule of a single having to have less than 11 minutes of music to qualify for the charts.
    One of the reasons for the decline of the single, I reckon.

When you say decline, I'm guessing you mean quality and not sales, as the downloads of singles are in rude health, more so than albums.
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Purple or more particularly Ian Gillan. Up until around 1995 Gillan was a fabulous front man with a great voice. Now OMG, sounds worse that a cat eating a canary, although to be fair he is almost 70. Time to call it a day guys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    When you say decline, I'm guessing you mean quality and not sales, as the downloads of singles are in rude health, more so than albums.

I don't do downloads. I used to buy Manics singles because there would be usually 3 non album tracks.
    That interested me more than the actual lead song, as it was on the album.
    CD sales are down, are they ?
    I'm trying not to be a music snob, but some people treat downloads as a collection of downloads rather than giving much of a crap ?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    The Holy Bible album was really disliked by many people in its day.
    Really? I've always thought that it's generally recognised as being their best.

Like many other people, as soon as Peter Gabriel quit Genesis I was out of there. In fact I soon started to question the generally accepted quality of Phill Collins's drumming. It seems quite pedestrian compared to Bill Bruford, for instance, and if you specifically listen to the drumming on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, you'll notice that he plays very similar drum parts on nearly every track (not Carpet Crawlers - obviously). Apart from that, I hate his crap songs and his whiny voice.

I am also ashamed to admit that I really liked U2 in their early days, but now, even the sight of Bono is enough to make me want to puke.

The Who - I used to love them until Won't Get Fooled Again, which I hated. Then they released that track with the synth intro that went on for about a quarter of an hour, then Squeeze Box, after which I disowned them completely.

The Killers - bought the first two albums and then totally went off them after a couple of weeks and haven't played them since.

King Crimson - I was quite committed to them until they got that gurning goon from Talking Heads and somebody playing that bloody awful Chapman Stick.

Katherine Williams - heard Underground and thought it was lovely. Heard a few more and liked them too. Then went off her. Can't explain why.

Queen - I liked the first three albums, then bought A Night At The Opera and thought it was utter crap. Then they went on to become a national embarrassment.

Roxy Music - their first two albums were great, but then Eno left and they turned into a cabaret act.

Sinead O'Connor - Loved her when she was a skinhead in a tutu and liked the songs on her first album, although they all sounded much better on a video of mostly live performances that came out at the same time. The live version of Troy used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. The album version was weak by comparison.
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Guns N Roses - from the greatest rock band in the world, to becoming Axl's own (poor quality) tribute act.

Heartbreaking. :(

^^^
    This.

He is one stubborn man, but that's what you get when your housekeeper & her son become your manager.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    LOL My mum and dad used to listen to that on a tape in the car.

It might have been shite but it was popular shite. Went to number one.

Blandiola for the masses sadly unadventurous pap.

For people thali like "musac" rather then music.;-)
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a totally switchback-style relationship with David Bowie and his music.

Major Tom was quite vanilla....

But Hunky Dory broke the mold and (IMO) stands out today as one of the most path breaking albums of the 20th Century.

Ziggy Stardust was okay with the some pretty good songs, but Bowie was already looking for something different to do next.

The following years of Bowie music were a strange selection ranging from so-so to pretty damn good.
    And then he decided he was a fascist....
    I could never forgive him that, but I still follow (but do not buy) his music, mainly out of curiosity nowadays.

Bowie the man is probably off his tree and that has produced some awesome stuff, but also some embarrassingly bad moments.
  • Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kings of Leon. Sex On Fire was overplayed and I hate it now, never bought any more of their stuff after that :( still love Aha Shake Heartbreak.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Green Day are the only band I can think off the top of my head. Everything after the B-side album I just couldn't get into. American Idiot was the start of it all. I went to see them in 2009 and they were good but too much inbetween stuff and faffing about getting people up on stage to sing and play horribly. Not listened to them for around a year now and not interested in any new music of theirs.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Boots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kings of Leon. Sex On Fire was overplayed and I hate it now, never bought any more of their stuff after that :( still love Aha Shake Heartbreak.

Hate Sex on Fire, it always seems such a crass song. Never been a fan of them really.

Aerosmith - the last half decent album they did was Permanent Vacation.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate Sex on Fire, it always seems such a crass song. Never been a fan of them really.

Aerosmith - the last half decent album they did was Permanent Vacation.

I LOATHE "Sex On Fire"; I don't know why but his voice sounds like a baby crying it's head off at 3am and the parents can't be ar5ed to pacify it....

I loved Beverley Knight for a long time... Don't know why but I think "meh" now... Shame as she has a great voice and was brilliant in Bodyguard: The Musical...
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really loved Joss Stone's first album, saw her a few times, met her and chatted after the gigs, she had a lovely bright, bubbly personality........then she grew up.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erasure

Really liked Wonderland and thought they peaked with The Circus. The Innocents was OK, but did not really like Wild! and did not buy any more of their albums after that.
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash, was a hardcore fan, up untill Twightlight Of The Innocents, from that album Onwards I just haven't liked anything since. Nu-Clear Sounds, Free All Angels & Meltdown was a brilliant trilogy of albums. Charlotte Hatherley (from the same band) her debut Grey Will Fade is definately one of my top 5 albums of all time, but a only couple of tracks from her 2nd were fantastic (Behave, Very Young) after that I went clean off her.

Pop wise,
    Mariah Carey, since Glitter, I've liked nothing at all from her.

Robbie Williams, since whatever he released after Escapeology, I've never bought any of his albums since then.

Rita Ora, thought Hot Right Now was brilliant, then the shit followed and stopped liking her more or less after that one song

Spice Girls, honestly was a crazed fan, bought everything by them, all of Thier solo stuff too, Melanie C aside I just cannot listen to them anymore, not even in a nostalgic kick. For me that era is over and I wish to forget they existed now.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Judas Priest - Apart from their first, dreadful album, I like most of the songs on all their albums up to and including 'Turbo'. Didn't think much of 'Ram it Down', and I didn't like their change of style after that. 'Sad Wings of Destiny' to 'Turbo', fine. After that, forget it.

I find Ram It Down really rather good. It's Priest going back to the widdly metal they left behind in order to do Turbo. The Chuck Berry cover I can give or take, but nothing and I mean NOTHING can forgive them for the closing track "Monsters Of Rock".

It's quite the most appalling five and a half minutes they've ever recorded.

Fortunately, it's the final track, so I finish the album a little earlier.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna, used to quite like her music, even to the extent of ignoring really weak material like 'Hanky Panky', but, all good things must come to an end...

When she brought out the 'Confessions' album, it was just, meh. And since our divorce, i've found that I get along fine without the excess weight.

I've not even switched to carb heavy meal relacements like: Rihanna/Katy Perry!

I feel so much yummier on a revised diet of Kate Bush/Joni Mitchell/Roxy Music/Roisin Murphy etc! All that Mcdonalds slurry has finally washed thru my back passage after having a musical enema!
    ALL TOGETHER NOW: FLUSH!
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    I have had a totally switchback-style relationship with David Bowie and his music.Major Tom was quite vanilla....

But Hunky Dory broke the mold and (IMO) stands out today as one of the most path breaking albums of the 20th Century.

Ziggy Stardust was okay with the some pretty good songs, but Bowie was already looking for something different to do next.

The following years of Bowie music were a strange selection ranging from so-so to pretty damn good.
    And then he decided he was a fascist....
    I could never forgive him that, but I still follow (but do not buy) his music, mainly out of curiosity nowadays.

Bowie the man is probably off his tree and that has produced some awesome stuff, but also some embarrassingly bad moments.

Wow,that`s an incredible reading of David Bowie`s career! It actually doesn`t sound like you`ve gone off him,but you don`t sound like a massive fan either! If you go by Bowie`s singles,like a lot of artists,then it can be vanilla or just plain embarrassing/weird (Bowie and Bing Crosby,Bowie and Jagger etc). But I`m sure if you`re a fan he`s the definition of the artist you stick by hoping they`ll knock it out of the park again (try `The Next Day`,you may have heard of it)
    I don`t see why you think he`s `out of his tree`; he never decided he was a fascist,and to say `Hunky Dory` is the greatest ablum of the 20th Century and Ziggy Stardust is `okay` (the first gave Peter Noone of the Hermits a hit song,the second gave Bowie some hits,amde hims a massive star and launched/solidifed about two or three major rock genres!).
    I don`t think anybody can `go off` Bowie. Be frustrated,confused,confouded,yes...but you still listen to the older stuff the stuff you like,a lot of people on this thread go off artists and don`t even go back and play the stuff they liked in the first place.
    Oh, the song`s `Space Oddity` not Major Tom (though you may mean `Ashes to Ashes`
    which also mentions Major Tom (I think another song may also).
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked Rainbow in the 1975-78 Ronnie James Dio phase, but their attempts to become more commercial saw them become like an American AOR band and the Joe Lynn Turner era was dire. Who really would listen to Power over Stargazer?
    Many of the seventies stars went poor in the eighties, Queen released the dire Miracle and Hot Space albums( although what they released in between was quite good), Bowie released little that was worthwhile after 1983, Genesis went from prog darlings to AOR, Pink Floyd lost all their bite after Roger Waters left, and Yes decided to chase the Yankee dollar by abandoning prog.