Gap between new iPad (3rd gen) and iPad 4

DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has Apple ever admitted why they released two iPads in one year? Having played with a third gen it did feel more sluggish which I thought was because it didn't have the power to run the retina display. Was that it or was there more to it? I just wondered after the time has passed has it become any clearer?

If I had an iPad 3 I would have been miffed.

PJ

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not the sort of thing that Apple would explain, but the general assumption seems to be:

The iPad 4 was released to shift the iPad release schedule into the more lucrative "holiday" period, with the iPad 3 released as a stop-gap because it had been a year since the iPad 2.

The iPad 3 was the first iPad to not have the new "A chip" before the iPhone (the iPad 1 had the A4 before the iPhone 4, the iPad 2 had the A5 before the iPhone 4S), with it instead having the A5X - like the 4S' A5 but with double the GPU cores.

The A5X couldn't really handle everything thrown at it with the increased resolution of the "Retina" display. Some games (e.g. NOVA 3, IIRC) even got updated to give people the choice of running at the higher resolution *or* having extra effects.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/26/3019105/retina-display-new-ipad-graphics

The iPad 4, however, had the A6X chip (based on the A6 used in the iPhone 5 released just over a month before) and had far better performance than the iPad 3.

The iPad 4 is I think what the iPad 3 *should* have been, but the iPad 3 was used as a stop-gap as the A6 & A6X weren't ready and/or Apple wanted to shift the release anyway.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting thanks. I just feel that if you pay a premium for your tablet it should a) be up to the job and b) not release a better one so quick after.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, iPad 4 introduced the lightning connector to the iPad line, the iPhone having just got it in the iPhone 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been fairer if they waited and launched the iPad 4 as the third gen. They must have done benchmark tests on the third iPad and known it was sluggish. Not like they are a startup who couldn't afford to do it.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    It would have been fairer

Apple are a business who want your money - not to be 'fair' when they release a new device. People do have the option of not buying a new iPad as well of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Apple are a business who want your money - not to be 'fair' when they release a new device. People do have the option of not buying a new iPad as well of course.

But if it was underpowered that is the unfair bit especially as no mention of slowness was made at the time
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if it was underpowered that is the unfair bit especially as no mention of slowness was made at the time

It was faster than the iPad 2 but not as fast as the iPad 4. Nothing new there.

I donated our iPad 3 to an elderly friend of ours, and she is more than happy with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It was faster than the iPad 2 but not as fast as the iPad 4. Nothing new there.

I donated our iPad 3 to an elderly friend of ours, and she is more than happy with it.

I thought I read that on heavy graphic games it was slower than the iPad 2 and certain other functions?
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    I do find it bizarre... OS 8.1 runs fine on my work iPad 2, but incredibly sluggish on my iPad 3. The 3 unit was installed fresh too, whilst the iPad 2 has never been reset.

Very frustrating, I was quite happy with 7.6 but risked the upgrade a few weeks after 8.1 came out.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I read that on heavy graphic games it was slower than the iPad 2 and certain other functions?

It had issues with "heavy graphic" games if trying to run at the full "Retina" resolution too.

There are examples in the link I posted.

The A5X didn't really seem good enough to handle the higher resolution *and* better graphics, extra effects, etc.

Also, I think Apple really screwed up with the 3 and the 4 was the *naming*.

What everyone just called the "iPad 3" was marketed as "the new iPad" (not so new once its successor came out half a year later!), while what everyone just called the "iPad 4" was marketed as "iPad with Retina Display" (even though the "new iPad" also had "Retina".)

Two very stupid names, that must surely have caused confusion among consumers.

Apple has gone back to numerical naming with the Air and the Mini, thankfully.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    It had issues with "heavy graphic" games if trying to run at the full "Retina" resolution too.

There are examples in the link I posted.

The A5X didn't really seem good enough to handle the higher resolution *and* better graphics, extra effects, etc.

Also, I think Apple really screwed up with the 3 and the 4 was the *naming*.

What everyone just called the "iPad 3" was marketed as "the new iPad" (not so new once its successor came out half a year later!), while what everyone just called the "iPad 4" was marketed as "iPad with Retina Display" (even though the "new iPad" also had "Retina".)

Two very stupid names, that must surely have caused confusion among consumers.

Apple has gone back to numerical naming with the Air and the Mini, thankfully.

They must have tested the retina screen with heavy graphics surely? I totally agree re the name, a month after the iPad 4 came out, I went to Argos who were still selling the new iPad (3rd gen) as if it was the iPad 4