Has your opinion on any pros changed this series?

Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For me, Kevin and Karen are starting to grate! I can understand how they're appealing to a lot of viewers but for me this time round, annoying :(

I was loving Iveta! I couldn't believe her and Thom left when they did :( really hope she's back next year with a real contender!

My opinion on Aljaz changed this time round too! Don't get me wrong I loved him and Abbey together but with Alison he was never not smiling, I loved it! :D

Shout out to Brendan too, who I warmed to a lot more last year after Sophie :)

Comments

• yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,502
    Forum Member
    My opinion on Trent has changed from the start of the series to now... I thought he'd be another Jared Murillo, however he has shown to be the complete opposite and has been the stand out Pro for me this year.... so something good has come out of Robin's injury and I hope he stays on for next year.

I've sort of gone off Pasha, but that was happening last series as well. Plus he sort of oozes desperation whenever the camera is on him.

For me the best three Pros are the Antipodean's (Brendan, Natalie and Trent), whilst this is Trent's first series, all three are great at choreographing and Brendan and Natalie especially good at choreographing to their celebs needs, abilities and playing to their strengths. Will be interesting to see if Trent is the same and would be a bit of an Antipodean trait if so
  • FoxyRoxiFoxyRoxi Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling that Brendan might not be back next year, his heart is not in it anymore and he struggles with his fitness and knows he is being shoved at the back to make up numbers in the pro dances which saddens him, I would rather he leave under his own steam, I think that's why he looks a bit sad and uninterested this year he was hoping to go out on a high with a good dancer, although I think Sunetra would have been much better if she had more training time. I don't think they would let him go completely and may be offered a similar role as Ian, maybe taking over his role and letting Ian back in the main show as they are seriously lacking a tall pro.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great question OP :cool:. I would say YES and NO.

I still dont like Janette and I STILL think that she is still underqualified as a pro on the show. Dont get me wrong, she is a VERY good dancer but I just dont think that she is a great teacher .

I used to not be a fan of Natalie when she first started out :blush: BUT NOW she is tied with Iveta as my favorite pro on the women side :).

I have really warmed up to Aliona since last year....I admit , she was not one of my favorites when she first started :blush: but now I just love her and think that she is brilliant :D

My opinion is NOT going to change on Janette though.....
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    edy10 wrote: »
    Great question OP :cool:. I would say YES and NO.

I still dont like Janette and I STILL think that she is still underqualified as a pro on the show. Dont get me wrong, she is a VERY good dancer but I just dont think that she is a great teacher .

I used to not be a fan of Natalie when she first started out :blush: BUT NOW she is tied with Iveta as my favorite pro on the women side :).

I have really warmed up to Aliona since last year....I admit , she was not one of my favorites when she first started :blush: but now I just love her and think that she is brilliant :D

My opinion is NOT going to change on Janette though.....

I'm afraid I don't even think Janette is a very good dancer except of salsa!
    I am not a huge fan of Karen's personality but I will say that, whatever his previous dance experience, Mark has noticeably improved in technique this series and so my opinion of her teaching has changed positively. I also enjoyed Aljaz with Alison much more than last year when I found him handsome but bland. I thought he coped admirably with Alison's limitations. You simply can't judge a pro on his/her first series - I remember being wowed by Pasha's choreography for Chelsee his first year and I now find a lot of his work quite dull.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid I don't even think Janette is a very good dancer except of salsa!
    I am not a huge fan of Karen's personality but I will say that, whatever his previous dance experience, Mark has noticeably improved in technique this series and so my opinion of her teaching has changed positively. I also enjoyed Aljaz with Alison much more than last year when I found him handsome but bland. I thought he coped admirably with Alison's limitations. You simply can't judge a pro on his/her first series - I remember being wowed by Pasha's choreography for Chelsee his first year and I now find a lot of his work quite dull.

BIB I totally agree :cool:
    Spot on Karen and Pash.
    I LOVED ALL of his routines with Chelsee (the only one I didnt like was their showdance ) but since then I havent been wow by anything he has done (except his AS with Kimberly and chacha Tango Fusion with her ) ; He seems to be a bit of a hit and miss in terms of choreo imo :blush:
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Kevin a lot less than last year he is starting to annoy me. I like Trent more than I did a few weeks ago and I also like Pasha more this year than I did last year. Aljaz I loved last year but loved him even more this year because we saw his personality. I like Janette but I am starting to think that she is showing herself off more in the dance than Jake, I wish he had a different partner.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving Natalie but did not like her when she started on the show. Loved how she trained the bride and grooms first dance last year and she was so good with Tim.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too wasn't keen on Natalie at first now she is a favourite - like many have posted still feel that Janette is underqualified for the show will reserve judgement on Trent like Natalie have not taken to him this year think he will be back and will will judge him on how he deals with a middling or duffer dancer - that is the true test.

Loved Pasha with Chelsee but not keen on his partnerships since
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    Aljaz has gone from wowsers! to wowsers! and adorable. Janette suffered from being partnered with Julien last year and now I think she is just lovely.

I've always liked Brendan but he has disappointed me this year. Working to rule just because you haven't been handed a dance-trained, stick-insect girl-child who lives 5 miles from you is not on. Sunetra is fantastic and she deserves a better Strictly experience. Watching tonight's ITT I wondered if, as the only pro with a toddler, Brendan had expected to be given a celeb close to home so he could spend time with his family. I totally understand his situation and think the producers could have been more sympathetic to his work/life balance but having a series-long sulk about it is not fair on Sunetra.
  • BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Aljaz and Aliona more if that's even possible (which I'm not sure it is)

Love Trent but even from week 1 I preferred him to the other newbies.

I wouldn't say opinion changed but I was underwhelmed by Joanne after comments on here prior to the series. I'm sure she'll be great with a better celeb.

Whilst I like Natalie and Iveta I'm still not "getting" the status they have on here. I just don't engage with either personality wise

Kevin and Karen have annoyed me a bit this series (wasn't a huge Kevin fan last year but I liked Karen)

Others it's no change really.
  • Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Aljaz even more this series. I liked him last year with Abbey but really loved him for his relationship with Allison this year. He's also a lovely dancer and I really like his choreography.

Janette's really come into her own too with some great choreography and really showing her celeb off to his best.

I also really fancy brendan this year and I have absolutely no idea why. He doesn't seem that happy. Normally if I start finding an x factor contestant attractive it means they get voted out so he probably won't be back. Ha!
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Not really...but from thinking over the last couple of years maybe Brendan had grown up a bit after getting married etc I am back to where I started with him.

If he was female he'd be getting absolutely caned in here.
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janette I'm starting to wane on because she flatters to deceive even in her own dancing. Her teaching and choreography skills rely more on showing herself off than Jake. Bit sick of her ballroom routines being nothing more than wafty show dances with very little technical content, but I suppose they catch attention, hence the flattering to deceive. I'm beginning to agree with those who thought she was unqualified, but she'll never get the boot due to being so close with the BTF connection.

Kevin has been annoying me personality wise as he has to always get a word in. You can tell he's the producers pet imo. His dancing in the pro dances has been standing out for ungainly reasons for me. I'm not a member of the destroy all from Grimsby clan (like I'd love Joanne to come back with a decent celeb to full see her suitability and adaptability on the show which is why I don't judge new pros skills too much), but I must admit he is grating on my nerve.

Karen has impressed me with her teaching as Mark has improved, but her verge of tears at every high mark and when they're saved has put me off a bit. I can't tell if it's because I can't take to Mark and his insincere sincerity that's been seen in every show he's been in prior. He's a text book reality tv show expert.

Anton I've really enjoyed this year because you can tell he absolutely loved working with Judy, dance ability or no.

Brendan I've been a bit disappointed with because his apathy for Sunetra makes me feel sorry for her. He just doesn't seem like his heart is in it this year.

Other than that my opinions haven't changed on the rest aka I'm fine with them :D
  • ilovesootyilovesooty Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Kevin last year but he's annoying the hell out of me now. He's coming across as desperate and cocky.

The big change for me has been Kristina. I've never been able to abide her previously but her work with Simon has really won me over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinion of Aliona has been increasing each year.

She always seems to stand out as a class act in the pro routines. And she produced an excellent dancer in Matt Baker.

I didn't follow that series. But going by the videos I looked at today - a few of Matt's routines and that dreadful Jive from Kara the judges awarded a 7 and three 9s - I'm guessing he was the best dancer that year. The fact the Powers That Be asked Matt and Aliona to perform a Paso in the Final to 'Don't let me be misunderstood' was blatant sabotage.

Although Aliona did win the following year with Harry, she must have upset somebody as she's been saddled with no-hopers ever since. Waste of talent in my opinion.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karen has gone up considerably in my estimation - she's done a great job with teaching Mark so far and her choreography has been generally fine. And she certainly doesn't annoy me as much as her fiancé does, though I thought Kevin was a bit irritating last year anyway.

I also like Janette and Alijaz much more than I did last year (I didn't dislike Alijaz last year, but I like the more relaxed Alijaz from this year a lot more, and he did an admirable job with Alison). I love Janette's behind the scenes videos each week :D

I've never been Kristina's biggest fan (dance-wise, not personality - she's lovely in person) but she's starting to win me over this year. I still dislike a lot of her choreography, but she's clearly teaching Simon well.

On the other hand, Brendan's gone down in my estimation - clearly he's frustrated, but he's letting it show too much to the detriment of his and Sunetra's partnership. He just looks bored a lot of the time now. Similarly I'm getting a bit bored of Ola's choreography, and her heart doesn't seem in it this year either. Pasha's become a bit anonymous for me this series - I don't notice his choreography being particularly bad or good, it's just a bit nondescript, and I feel the same way about his and Caroline's partnership, though she is good.

As far as the new pros go, I like Tristan (love his attitude!), think Joanne's a bit irritating but quite funny and am not sold on Trent - I don't think his routines are as amazing as many people think, and I have a feeling he may struggle with a non-contender - he lucked out getting Pixie, who could probably dance anything and make it look at least half-decent.

And my opinion isn't really changed on the other returning pros - I still love Natalie and think she's by far the best of all the pros, still like Aliona (and always have), still find Anton annoying and still don't get the Iveta hype at all!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member

She always seems to stand out as a class act in the pro routines. And she produced an excellent dancer in Matt Baker.

I didn't follow that series. But going by the videos I looked at today - a few of Matt's routines and that dreadful Jive from Kara the judges awarded a 7 and three 9s - I'm guessing he was the best dancer that year. The fact the Powers That Be asked Matt and Aliona to perform a Paso in the Final to 'Don't let me be misunderstood' was blatant sabotage.

Although Aliona did win the following year with Harry, she must have upset somebody as she's been saddled with no-hopers ever since. Waste of talent in my opinion.

Matt is one of my all time favourite celebs on Strictly but he was an absolute ringah having earned a living dancing in shows before. The judges (ie producers) did seem to have an absolute downer on him that year, compared to Kara and Shamela. Aliona is one of my favourites although she needs to attend The Natalie Lowe Academy of Pretending to Love Everything Graciously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member

I think Aliona's great, my favourite female pro by far - but a bit unfair to judge Kara by her jive alone, no? The week before, Artem had a neck injury at Blackpool then tonsillitis when training for the jive which seemed to hinder them a lot. When taken as a series of dances, she was much better than Matt, with charleston, salsa, rumba, VW, AS, AT and paso being her better dances.
  • Liza with a ZeeLiza with a Zee Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Janette think her choreography is amazing, like Trent now didn't like him at first, also like Tristan's personality. Ola I loved until this year. Don't know if it's the James Jordan factor I wouldn't miss her. My favourite is still Kristina
  • Joseph_WheatleyJoseph_Wheatley Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Kevin is getting on my nerves big time!!!!! If he shouts bloody FRANKENSTEIN one more time I will have to rip my own skin off.
  • mad_madge_morrimad_madge_morri Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Loved Kevin last year, shall be glad to see the back of him this year. Have always found Anton irritating and a waste of space, have grown quite fond of him this run. Always found Kristina a vulgar dancer, using her partner as a pole, but have now seen a nicer side to her . Never liked Brendan, thought him big headed and rude but he's mellowed with time, more grown up I think since that awful James has gone
    If anyone leaves this year, please take 'Bendy' Ms Clifton with them.
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ilovesooty wrote: »
    I liked Kevin last year but he's annoying the hell out of me now. He's coming across as desperate and cocky.

The big change for me has been Kristina. I've never been able to abide her previously but her work with Simon has really won me over.

These are largely my thoughts too.

I wouldn't say Kevin annoys me that much, but I am finding it frustrating that he isn't tailoring his approach to his celeb. to bring the best out of her. The full on OTT style was perhaps fine for Susanna, but I believe Frankie would greatly benefit from a more measured, sophisticated approach. She's only little (and adorable!) - his choreo. has her running around the floor trying to keep up.

Kristina is the stand out pro for me this year. She's (almost entirely) given up pole dancing and is doing some ace routines with Simon. Loved that AT, and her obvious enthusiasm and desire to win is great.

(Natalie's still my favourite though.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Kevin is getting on my nerves big time!!!!! If he shouts bloody FRANKENSTEIN one more time I will have to rip my own skin off.

Totally agree. That's been bugging me since the start. It's so fake when he shouts it in the results show.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would punch him if I were Frankie!! Ive never been a huge Kevin fan and I thought it was just due to him being paired with Susanna last year (who I couldn't stand) but nope, I don't like him this year either!

Never used to like Natalie, Karen or Brendan but adore them now - think they are all great

Always been a huge Aliona fan and always will be

Still cannot warm to Janette or Pasha
  • mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion on Alijaz has changed this year.

Last year I thought he was just a pretty boy who could dance, someone a bit dull.

This year he's come alive, and I've noticed how brilliant his acting is in the dances. I've gone from thinking he was 'meh' to really liking him.