Take That are quite remarkable

Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Even if your not a fan of Take That you have to sit back for a moment and say well done to them. What they have done in the music business is truly quite remarkable and certainly a one off for boy/man Bands. Who would of thought back in the early 90's they would be still be around today and still massive. No other band has split then come back after ten years with a smaller line up and became even bigger second time round. With Huge album sales and massive tours. Then all 5 to reunite and get even bigger still. Then to loose two members but still manage to produce one of the best pop songs of recent times " These days" which was number 1 then another number 1 album and another huge sell out tour. No other band can brag this success with different versions of the group???. you have to take your hat to them. Take That could of packed it in after Jason left but instead came out fighting and now are just as big as before. And when Robbie and Jason return in 2017 for the anniversary tour it will become even bigger.

Take That are truly a one off pop gem .

Comments

• SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if your not a fan of Take That you have to sit back for a moment and say well done to them. What they have done in the music business is truly quite remarkable and certainly a one off for boy/man Bands. Who would of thought back in the early 90's they would be still be around today and still massive. No other band has split then come back after ten years with a smaller line up and became even bigger second time round. With Huge album sales and massive tours. Then all 5 to reunite and get even bigger still. Then to loose two members but still manage to produce one of the best pop songs of recent times " These days" which was number 1 then another number 1 album and another huge sell out tour. No other band can brag this success with different versions of the group???. you have to take your hat to them. Take That could of packed it in after Jason left but instead came out fighting and now are just as big as before. And when Robbie and Jason return in 2017 for the anniversary tour it will become even bigger.

When Bon Scott died AC/DC lost their charismatic front man and lyric writer. They almost quit as a band but decided to continue and hiRe a new front man in Brian Johnson - record a new album. That album was Back in Black - an album that has sold more copies worldwide than all the albums combined by Take That.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What will 2017 be the anniversary of?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

Yes, i'm interested to know that too. Plus the source of the info that says they will return.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i'm interested to know that too. Plus the source of the info that says they will return.

Yes I'm intrigued as Take That originally formed in 1990 so I can't see them celebrating their 27th Anniversay in 2017 as that is an insignificant anniversary.
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Barlow is a remarkable songwriter,and their management has been remarkable
  • Red22Red22 Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this a joke?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,686
    Forum Member
    Yes I'm intrigued as Take That originally formed in 1990 so I can't see them celebrating their 27th Anniversay in 2017 as that is an insignificant anniversary.

Is that 25 years since they had their 1st No1 or something :confused: idk
    Why did Jason leave anyway?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but you'll have to improve your spelling, grammar and punctuation if you're aiming to be a copywriter for their record label. A few paragraphs also wouldn't go amiss.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Their first #1 was Pray back in 1993 so I'm confused as you are as to what the anniversary would be!
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

He was the only one who wasn't involved with the tax dodging exercise the other band were involved in.That could be purely coincidental, of course ;-)

Think the BBC would have stayed clear of them, until the tax matter was cleared up.Not really that happy when they featured on a recent BBC charity show.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red22 wrote: »
    Is this a joke?

These Days is definitely one of the best pop songs in from this decade, especially when you compare it the likes of Anaconda
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

are they really more popular now than they used to be? it doesn't seem so. are young people interesting in the middle of the road marks and spencers advert type music they are releasing today, and thinking men the age of their dads are sexy? or is it not really just middle aged women with kids who are going to their concerts and having a piss up?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003347/Take-That-More-100-fans-treated-A-E-drinking-much.html
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've certainly made a little go a long way so good luck to them.
    And they've aged much better than 'Boyzone' that's for sure.
  • amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member

Of 25 years since they released their first album - Take That and Party (1992)
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,762
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    are they really more popular now than they used to be? it doesn't seem so. are young people interesting in the middle of the road marks and spencers advert type music they are releasing today, and thinking men the age of their dads are sexy? or is it not really just middle aged women with kids who are going to their concerts and having a piss up?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003347/Take-That-More-100-fans-treated-A-E-drinking-much.html

Their sales are better than the original period they were together. Four albums selling at least 2 million copies in the UK, their new album is already platinum selling since its December 1st release, Progress in 2010 was the fastest-selling album of the century and second fastest-selling album of all time in the UK.

From my experience of watching them on tour, it's certainly not just middle aged mothers going to watch them either. And even if it was, they are still very successful. You don't have to appeal to young people to be considered popular.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm wondering if you work for their PR department or something but your knowledge of pop history is a bit off. Try AC/DC ( already mentioned), The Who, The Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Dr Feelgood, The Supremes, The Crystals, The Temptations......all went on to as great success post losing significant members.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member

They have indeed done incredibly well in the UK.

Mind you - if you believe 'These Days' is one of the best songs (even of recent times) you really ought to get out more. I think 'These Days' is a competent song - but by no means one of Gary Barlow's best efforts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their sales are better than the original period they were together. Four albums selling at least 2 million copies in the UK, their new album is already platinum selling since its December 1st release, Progress in 2010 was the fastest-selling album of the century and second fastest-selling album of all time in the UK.

From my experience of watching them on tour, it's certainly not just middle aged mothers going to watch them either. And even if it was, they are still very successful. You don't have to appeal to young people to be considered popular.

what about single sales and sales of all other crap too though? they sold shitloads of singles in the 90s, plus calendars, t shirts, lunchboxes and all that kind of shit. if it's true they sell more albums now, what about the rest? pop acts like take that were more single and merchandise style acts than album acts, so albums selling more now than then doesn't mean more popular now than then. i doubt many people are buying take that lunchboxes and sticker albums these days
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,686
    Forum Member
    Of 25 years since they released their first album - Take That and Party (1992)

I didnt know that, thanks :)
    Forum Member
    what about single sales and sales of all other crap too though? they sold shitloads of singles in the 90s, plus calendars, t shirts, lunchboxes and all that kind of shit. if it's true they sell more albums now, what about the rest? pop acts like take that were more single and merchandise style acts than album acts, so albums selling more now than then doesn't mean more popular now than then. i doubt many people are buying take that lunchboxes and sticker albums these days

And all that crap actually matters does it? Not the fact they sell albums by the bucketload and tour stadiums. Lunchboxes and calendars is now how we measure the popularity of artists?
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    they have had a great career, and I don't think anyone expected their comeback to be so big and so prolonged.

But I do think they should have called it a day now that the group is down to 3 members, it just doesn't feel the same.

hopefully they can persuade Robbie and Jason to return for one last Greatest Hits and massive tour and go out with a bang, if they stay as a three-piece I fear they'll just fade.
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with rooftopcowboy views if they remain as a 3. They are a success in the UK with pretty much all pop records and tours broken etc. However they have also had Platinum success across Europe since they came back album wise also. It's one thing in the UK where they were hyped and always in the minds of everyone everytime an inferior boyband came along year after year.
    To have achieved that in Europe though at times since reforming selling to people who won't remember them really first time around and at the age they are shows the music stood up against everything else. Yes Progress was a Robbie success obviously like if Justin rejoined N Sync and put an album out but Patience and Beautiful World were just the 4 and they sold well in Europe.

In terms of if they are bigger it's hard to say as the UK sales inflate everything just like US sales do and they weren't selling 2 mill a pop in the UK back then. They can't be compared to their One Direction phase during 90's as it's different circumstances but they were the biggest boyband in the world in 1995 and that is an incredible achievement without big US sales behind them and no British or Irish boyband can claim that until 1D came along to be the biggest internationally.
    Back For Good was the 7th biggest single of 95 Worldwide #1 in 31 nations and the 6 above it were all huge US #1's ie Gangsta Paradise etc who sold multi millions in US alone. BFG reached #7 in America. The highest peaking British boy band single in the USA until 2012 and The Wanted/One Direction. On paper Worldwide they were biggest 93 to 96 with #1's worldwide.

I also think 4 years was a long time between albums I mean it was nearly the length of their career first time around.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    they have had a great career, and I don't think anyone expected their comeback to be so big and so prolonged.

But I do think they should have called it a day now that the group is down to 3 members, it just doesn't feel the same.

hopefully they can persuade Robbie and Jason to return for one last Greatest Hits and massive tour and go out with a bang, if they stay as a three-piece I fear they'll just fade.

the step backwards from Progress to III is quite noticeable in my opinion (and I know that the singles charts are nowhere near as relevant as they used to be, but it's a shame that These Days got to #1 whereas The Flood, a more superior song in my view, did not) - just bought III today, couldn't make it to the end, which is a shame - there were a few moments which were good but Portrait was such a disappointment; when I heard the preview of it on Amazon it sounded like it would be one of the better songs... before it descended into the worst chorus, if you could call it a chorus, I have ever heard from the band.

When Take That came back I really liked them, they seemed to be a great alternative to Westlife who I used to like when I was really young. And I loved that with every new album they got better. And the evolution that came in Progress and Progressed was just something else entirely. If this was a thread from three years ago, I would have said that it is truly remarkable what Take That have achieved since they came back.

III aside, I'll still say it's remarkable though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And all that crap actually matters does it? Not the fact they sell albums by the bucketload and tour stadiums. Lunchboxes and calendars is now how we measure the popularity of artists?

of course it matters. they wouldn't make and then sell them if it didn't, would they?

merchandise can be very lucrative to artists. in fact some artists can make more money from merchandise than from the records they sell. in regards to tours, it used to be the case that more profit was earned by bands from t shirt sales than what they got for performing

however whilst they may sell more albums now than before, what about single sales? pop acts of that ilk would often sell more singles than albums, especially last millenium
    Forum Member
    of course it matters. they wouldn't make and then sell them if it didn't, would they?

merchandise can be very lucrative to artists. in fact some artists can make more money from merchandise than from the records they sell. in regards to tours, it used to be the case that more profit was earned by bands from t shirt sales than what they got for performing

however whilst they may sell more albums now than before, what about single sales? pop acts of that ilk would often sell more singles than albums, especially last millenium

Merchandise sales don't show the popularity of an artist like their actual music sales do though. It's important to make money, it's not in any way to be used as a gauge of their popularity IMO.

1991-1996:
    Single: 3,600,000
    Albums: 3,460,376
    Total: 7,060,376

2005-Present:
    Singles: 2,400,000
    Albums: 10,628,552
    Total: 13,028,552

That is their certified UK sales. Having a hit single means very little. Crazy Frog, Bob The Builder, The Power Rangers and Nizlopi all had hit singles, were never going to sell albums or sell out a tour which is IMO the way to judge an artists popularity.

Having 4 out of 5 albums since their return selling over 2 million copies shows their popularity. Their last tour being the fastest-selling tour in UK music history shows their popularity. Their most recent album breaking Amazon's pre-order record shows their popularity too.