Options

ed miliband"i want a fairer britain"

mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
Forum Member
but i doudt he wanted a fairer way of the labour party electing its leader,because with it his brother would have been labour leader

Comments

• Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess you are also upset with all those politicians who used the system to get elected on one third of the vote.
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    And why couldn't David have done more to win over the union vote? Ed played by the rules that were set and won. Get over it. It was five years ago!
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess that why he voted against the Boundary reforms then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

It was the LibDems that pulled the rug from under the Tories on the boundary changes.

I agree electoral boundaries need reforming as does the whole first past the post concept.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wants "a fairer britain"?

:eek: he must be a racist then!!!

edit: and what about strawberry blonde, or is that counted as a pale ginger? we all know where this sort of thing leads
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Chestnuts!!!!...Get yer old chestnuts here!"
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd have thought retaining, rather than getting rid of, 50 elected MPs would give people fairer access to their elected representatives :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the LibDems that pulled the rug from under the Tories on the boundary changes.

I agree electoral boundaries need reforming as does the whole first past the post concept.

A different issue HH. I'm pointing out that while he's talking about fairness, Miliband and Labour voted against electoral fairness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A different issue HH. I'm pointing out that while he's talking about fairness, Miliband and Labour voted against electoral fairness.

I agree David, would though the Tories have done any different if the boundary changes disadvantaged them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree David, would though the Tories have done any different if the boundary changes disadvantaged them?

Don't know, but as far as I'm aware, the Tories have always supported the work of the Boundary Commission.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know, but as far as I'm aware, the Tories have always supported the work of the Boundary Commission.

Because the Boundary Commission always went about it work in a staid and considered manner allowing plenty of time for consultation and public inquiries into their proposals.
    The Boundary Commission hadn't previously had to undertake a quick and dirty bit of work within strict deadlines set by the government, that was then deliberately given very tight deadlines for consultation and assessment.
    If you make the work of the Boundary Commission political then don't be surprised if politicians bite back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Guess you are also upset with all those politicians who used the system to get elected on one third of the vote.
    guess i am
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh please that's just like saying I approve of motherhood and apple pie.

There's a difference between supporting the work and supporting the recommendations...we all saw how far apart Tory principles on those two things were when it came to supporting Leveson and backing the recommendations.

And I don't know why people peddle the notion that the Tory Party were 100% behind the last set of boundary reforms...since it never really saw the light of day it was never really tested.

I can assure you that round here they were spitting feathers because of the potential disadvantage it would have put them in. With a real chance that 3 Tory MPs would vote agains or abstain to be sure of keeping themselves in a job.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the Boundary Commission always went about it work in a staid and considered manner allowing plenty of time for consultation and public inquiries into their proposals.
    The Boundary Commission hadn't previously had to undertake a quick and dirty bit of work within strict deadlines set by the government, that was then deliberately given very tight deadlines for consultation and assessment.
    If you make the work of the Boundary Commission political then don't be surprised if politicians bite back.

Bullshit.

Miliband and Labour opposed the boundary changes purely from party advantage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Bullshit.

which was the point of my post a fairer britain when its in their favour
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It's a bit of a marshmallow statement really. Every one of us wants a fairer Britain. Ask any election contender and they will all say they want a fairer Britian, but ask them what that means and they will all have a different answer. It is perhaps well intentioned, but without some meat on the bones it's a meaningless soundbite.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    but i doudt he wanted a fairer way of the labour party electing its leader,because with it his brother would have been labour leader

In that case , out of fairness, he should be offering to pay the mansion tax on his 2 million pound home which he wont have to pay because he is an M.P. But he would be happy to make others pay.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Funky Phil wrote: »
    It's a bit of a marshmallow statement really. Every one of us wants a fairer Britain. Ask any election contender and they will all say they want a fairer Britian, but ask them what that means and they will all have a different answer. It is perhaps well intentioned, but without some meat on the bones it's a meaningless soundbite.

No we don't.

You only have to look on this forum every day and you'll see many who support the right of wealth to purchase privilege, and condemning any measures proposed that may narrow the wealth divide.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    No we don't.

You only have to look on this forum every day and you'll see many who support the right of wealth to purchase privilege, and condemning any measures proposed that may narrow the wealth divide.

Your idea of 'fair' is everyone scrabbling around in the mud to eke a living as part of a commune.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funky Phil wrote: »

Yes they do...but that want to be assured that mememememe is not affected adversely, that any benefits go to mememememe, that themthemethem don't deserve it anyway and that they get it nownownownownow.

And the longer that politicians can manage to keep the population fractured into a series of isolated groups of "them and us" the longer it will be before we find common cause and lynch them form the nearest lamp post.
    ;-)
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

Absolutely.

Why would any party or their leader support any electoral reform which would reduce their representation in parliament ?

That's why FPTP is here to stay. Because the Conservatives and Labour benefit from it.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    In that case , out of fairness, he should be offering to pay the mansion tax on his 2 million pound home which he wont have to pay because he is an M.P. But he would be happy to make others pay.

Why would being an MP make a difference to mansion tax liability? :confused:
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    You idea of 'fair' is everyone scrabbling around in the mud to eke a living as part of a commune.

My idea of fair is the creation of a society where we have true equality of opportunity - not as present, where, because of money being able to purchase privilege, we have the triumph of mediocrity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »

You clearly have had sight of both the draft details of any such legislation and of any consequential amendment to the MPs expenses regulations to be able to say such a thing.:o

Hellfire...you're one of Labour's inner circle after all :D

Either that or you are making an assumption largely unfounded but more likely just repeating one someone else made.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »

Why would any party or their leader support any electoral reform which would reduce their representation in parliament ?

Because they want "a fairer Britain"?