Options

garden fencing falling down next doors house

puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi I wonder if anybody has any advice. I live in a private house and next door house is a council house. we share a fence in the back garden and the fence gets repaired by the council. well it used to be the council now is a housing group type thing.

anyway last September 3 of the fence panels fell down I should say they are her fences. today I phoned this Housing Group because they still haven't been repaired.

the first thing they told me was she didn't report it until January however is now May. I pointed out to the Council that my husband is a private gardener and summer is his busiest time of year and we have a lot of dangerous equipment and electric lawn mowers and things out in the back garden not always locked away sometimes my husband comes home from a job put some in the back garden unlock the side gate I might come in the house for half an hour to have a coffee before he locks them back in his van or shed whatever.

the lady next door is ok but her dad is a bit grumpy and not very approachable he visits quite a lot. her baby is now about 3 yrs old .

I told the housing group all of this. I just wanted to make sure it definitely been reported not overlooked and that the housing group were aware of my own personal circumstances with regards to the gardening equipment.

they couldn't give me a timescale for the repairs I got their usual story about there being a backlog of work which they were working through and they review the list daily blah blah blah

They then told me that it was up to the lady next door to keep her child safe

so my question is this it doesn't seem fair that that lady should have to keep her daughter indoors all summer or sit out with her when she could be getting on with other things what if I had a massive dog or something I couldn't keep the dog in all summer and I thought housing groups councils and landlords had a duty to keep property in a safe condition.

my worry is now this if next doors little girl wanders through the gap in the fencing into my garden and hurt herself in anyway on my property who is responsible is it my husband for not locking up sharp tools or cans of petrol, is it the lady next door for not supervising her child or is it the housing group for not doing the repairs or is it all 3 of Us

in fact it's not just gardening equipment we have other dangers, steps water butts sharp things raspberry canes all sorts of things a small child hurt themselves on

Comments

• Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Cant the lady next door just fix her own fence? Three fence panels - about £45.
  • Options
    aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    hi I wonder if anybody has any advice. I live in a private house and next door house is a council house. we share a fence in the back garden and the fence gets repaired by the council. well it used to be the council now is a housing group type thing.

anyway last September 3 of the fence panels fell down I should say they are her fences. today I phoned this Housing Group because they still haven't been repaired.

the first thing they told me was she didn't report it until January however is now May. I pointed out to the Council that my husband is a private gardener and summer is his busiest time of year and we have a lot of dangerous equipment and electric lawn mowers and things out in the back garden not always locked away sometimes my husband comes home from a job put some in the back garden unlock the side gate I might come in the house for half an hour to have a coffee before he locks them back in his van or shed whatever.

the lady next door is ok but her dad is a bit grumpy and not very approachable he visits quite a lot. her baby is now about 3 yrs old .

I told the housing group all of this. I just wanted to make sure it definitely been reported not overlooked and that the housing group were aware of my own personal circumstances with regards to the gardening equipment.

they couldn't give me a timescale for the repairs I got their usual story about there being a backlog of work which they were working through and they review the list daily blah blah blah

so my question is this it doesn't seem fair that that lady should have to keep her daughter indoors all summer or sit out with her when she could be getting on with other things what if I had a massive dog or something I couldn't keep the dog in all summer and I thought housing groups councils and landlords had a duty to keep property in a safe condition.

my worry is now this if next doors little girl wanders through the gap in the fencing into my garden and hurt herself in anyway on my property who is responsible is it my husband for not locking up sharp tools or cans of petrol, is it the lady next door for not supervising her child or is it the housing group for not doing the repairs or is it all 3 of Us

in fact it's not just gardening equipment we have other dangers, steps water butts sharp things raspberry canes all sorts of things a small child hurt themselves on

Councils move very slowly, housing associations even slower. I would just replace the panels myself for my own piece of mind. Then i wont have to worry about the child next door or what could happen. Its too late once it happens even if its not your fault.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling they don't have to provide a fence at all, it's usually a good idea if you really want one to provide your own. When we move knowing we have dogs we don't want getting out we will fence all around the property even if that has to be a foot or two inside our garden just so we then keep the fences up to standards we want and not what someone else wants.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no legal requirement for an actual barrier to be errected between properties so it probably would come down to being on their maintenance list of "whenever we can get around to it".

Having "dangerous" equipment in your property is surely your responsibility to ensure that people cannot injure themselves and i doubt the average 3 year old is going to be able to tip over a petrol mover and decide to slash their wrists etc

just buy some wire mesh for probably £10 and nail it to the fence posts, a double layer of it will easily be 6ft high and should stop all but spidermans kids from wandering over
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a PITA and it would drive me mad too.

If it was me, I'd put a new fence up, just on my side of the line.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My neighbours (owner occupiers, like us) refused to do anything about their crappy, gappy fence and we bit the bullet and got chain link put up in the end.

I couldn't cope with the anxiety about their dog getting in our garden and attacking my dog, or my dog getting in their garden and killing their rabbits.

It's not going to be a priority for the council, compared to things like faulty heating or electrics and doors that can't be locked, even if it is something they're responsible for. I'd just do it, tbh.
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated, can't persuade OH to put up a fence as he doesn't want to set a precedent, bear the cost, become liable etc rather he wanted to know if he would be held responsible legally.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I think only proper legal advice would help in this instance OP. If it were me I'd lock stuff away and put up a barrier my side of the fence, because then I'd know in my own mind/heart that I'd done what I could. I'd be worrying about it otherwise and life's too short when I could do something about it and have peace of mind.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated, can't persuade OH to put up a fence as he doesn't want to set a precedent, bear the cost, become liable etc rather he wanted to know if he would be held responsible legally.
    My understanding is that if you have dangerousness equipment in your garden you could be liable even if someone is trespassing or trying to burgle, let alone an infant wandering in.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I presume you've got insurance which will cover any claims for occupiers' liability anyway, but surely if you're worried about your neighbour's kid wandering in and injuring themselves then you'd do something to prevent it rather than just be concerned about the legal consequences?
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway last September 3 of the fence panels fell down I should say they are her fences. today I phoned this Housing Group because they still haven't been repaired.

my worry is now this if next doors little girl wanders through the gap in the fencing into my garden and hurt herself in anyway on my property who is responsible is it my husband for not locking up sharp tools or cans of petrol, is it the lady next door for not supervising her child or is it the housing group for not doing the repairs or is it all 3 of us
    Hi Puffen,

If the panels fell down presumably they are still about and while not the both of yours responsibility or duty could your husband not repair the fence with what's available, it wouldn't take that long to do, would it?

While there maybe legal implications for the parents and the HA, they are right, it is up to the Mother to keep her child safe and if that means keeping her child out their garden,--so be it, harsh as that is.

If you had a big dog, fence missing or not, holes aren't a one way thing and you would be duty bound to keep your dog under control and not wander into next door,--an impossible task.

If you have sharp implements in your garden and there is a danger to life or limb, there maybe a liability on yourselves while the danger persists should an accident occur, especially as you have voiced your concerns to the HA.

It's not fair on you or your neighbour but I would imagine fence panel repair is low on the HAs priorities.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fence only 'belongs' to one side or the other because the person living there (or owner in the case of landlords) put the fence in place. If you now put another fence in place to replace the broken one, then it becomes your fence.

Im not sure what precedent your OH is wary of?

As others have said there is no requirement to have a fence in place at all, but if you want one, then put one in.
  • Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no legal responsibility for either private owners or housing assoc/councils to provide fencing between two gardens or two driveways or whatever. As long as both parties know where the legal property boundary is then that's all there is to it.

With regard to the complainant who said what if she had a massive dog that went into the garden of the person whose fence it is, well it's actually the complainants legal duty to keep the dog/ wild plants branches etc etc etc, inside her own garden, even though there is no fence otherwise a civil trespass/nuisance could occur.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a PITA and it would drive me mad too.

If it was me, I'd put a new fence up, just on my side of the line.

Just what I'd do too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I wonder how your husband would feel if the wee tot was hurt by the machinery in your garden? The fence between us and our neighbours was destroyed by a storm not that long ago, it was the neighbours fence but we replaced it. Didn't cost that much and my hubby did it himself. Can you not persuade him just to rebuild or replace the fence?
  • Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Life's just too short. It's only three garden fence panels so just get your hubby to buy them and put them in place. A couple of hours work. Everybody's happy. Then move on with your life. ;-)
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Neighbors didn't fix their fence.

I planted leyladii
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just the fence panels to be replaced or are they down because of the failure of the intermediate posts? Although it might be £45 to replace 3 larch lap panels it could be significantly more expensive to replace 2 or 3 posts especially if they were in concrete. If you put in your own fence then you are taking over the long term cost of maintenance. The neighbour can choose to remove their remaining fence making yours the apparent boundary.

My advice to anyone putting in a fence is to use 4 inch posts, treated and put postsaver sleeves on them and then put them in concrete. Use a 2.4 metre post for a 1.8 metre high fence. Always keep the fence 3 inches or 75mm above ground level and use gravel boards to close the gap.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    A fence only 'belongs' to one side or the other because the person living there (or owner in the case of landlords) put the fence in place. If you now put another fence in place to replace the broken one, then it becomes your fence.

Im not sure what precedent your OH is wary of?

As others have said there is no requirement to have a fence in place at all, but if you want one, then put one in.
    Boundary (fence) responsibilities are outlined in the property deeds.
    In our street we know exactly which side of the boundaries are "our" fences.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the Tories. The council would have fixed it in days.
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I blame the Tories. The council would have fixed it in days.
    Exactly these associations seem to have no charter to adhere to at all. I may be wrong.
    Get a quote done from an expensive firm, send it to housing association with a letter saying you intend to instruct the firm to do the work and they will invoice the association directly. Obviously don't actually do that. This will make them realise you're serious about the matter so they'll prioritise the job and get their odd job man to do it cheaper. This sort of
    bluffing is worth a try. Otherwise swallow your principles, do it yourselves and enjoy the privacy of your garden! Worth £45 I'd say!
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are going to replace it yourself I would go with something other than those annoying panels. My last house had them and they were always falling down, the landlord then put in a plank style fence instead and it was rock solid. So if you are going to replace maybe look at other options than the panels so you don't have to keep fixing them
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd just replace it myself too. It would irritate me it was broken but much more importantly I'd never forgive myself if the little girl did come into the garden and get hurt. It's just not worth the risk.