Orkney and Shetland drop a bomb into independence debate

clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
Forum Member
✭✭
They don't seem to fancy Scots rule.

The Orkney and Shetland islands could remain part of the UK if the rest of Scotland votes to separate, according to a report submitted by their MSPs to the Government.

The islands could even declare independence themselves, it adds.

Alternatively, they could agree to join a separate Scotland only if they are granted a much bigger portion of North Sea oil and gas revenues, around a quarter of which lies in Shetland’s waters alone.

Tavish Scott, the Liberal Democrat MSP for Shetland, agreed the threat was political “dynamite” but questioned why Mr Salmond was the only politician who could use oil wealth to argue for self-determination.

The paper, submitted to the Coalition Government’s consultation on the forthcoming independence referendum, concluded the islands should exploit the ballot to negotiate a more advantageous constitutional settlement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9151646/Scotlands-oil-rich-Northern-Isles-tell-Alex-Salmond-We-might-stay-with-UK.html

Comments

• Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i believe this is being discussed on the jeremy vine radio2 show today, if anyone is interested.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, this should be entertaining.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The independence bandwagon is stumbling yet again.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    They don't seem to fancy Scots rule.

Let's be clear here folks.

It's two Lib-Dem MSPs who don't fancy Scots rule.

Disingenuous thread title and disingenuous original post.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be clear here folks.

It's two Lib-Dem MSPs who don't fancy Scots rule.

Disingenuous thread title and disingenuous original post.

Let's be even clearer...
    Their residents have traditionally been extremely hostile to Scottish independence and preferred Westminster government to that from Holyrood. They were part of Norway, not Scotland, until the late 15th century.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Let's be even clearer...

Have the residents voted on separating from Scotland?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope. Have you read the article?
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If they vote no to independence in the referendum, would you be happy if they negotiated to stay as part of the UK?

They have the right of self-determination, surely...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope. Have you read the article?

Yes. It's an article in a Pro-Unionist newspaper, relating to a report compiled by two Pro-Unionist MSPs. Big deal!

What the article does not say, is just what consultation with the local populace/electorate was carried out by the MSPs before they compiled their report.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    If they vote no to independence in the referendum, would you be happy if they negotiated to stay as part of the UK?

They have the right of self-determination, surely...

Last time I looked, they were part of Scotland. If there is a will by them to separate from Scotland, then for sure.

If they want to go with Norway that's certainly an option.........and a damned sight more likely than them wanting to go with London.

Tell me though. If the North of england vote for a Labour Government, but are defeated by a Southern England vote for a Tory one, would the North of England be allowed to cede from the rest and set up their own Government?
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Its interesting cos most of the gas and oil which the independent Scotland is relying on to bankroll it actually belongs to Orkney and Shetland.

These two islands are very independent and have voted Lib Dem/Liberal for generations - they aren't exactly great fans of the SNP or being dictated to by Edinburgh (or London). And rightly so - why should they have their oil and gas revenue used to fund Glasgow?:D
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that going with London was preferable than edinburgh simply because no one in London would meddle with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. It's an article in a Pro-Unionist newspaper, relating to a report compiled by two Pro-Unionist MSPs. Big deal!

What the article does not say, is just what consultation with the local populace/electorate was carried out by the MSPs before they compiled their report.

Sorry, I'm going on what I've read.

Do you dispute the claim in the story that "the residents have traditionally been extremely hostile to Scottish independence"? or that "the islands have always been and remain sceptical of Scottish central belt rule”." If so, where can I read something that tells me otherwise?
  • chupchupchupchup Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    At this rate the UK will end up in tiny pieces.
  • ThePhotographerThePhotographer Posts: 3,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the SNP would support an option where these island have a free and fair vote, yes?
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    having links to the islands up there I wouldn't read too much into this weeks old story recently put forward by some old tory and now regurgitated by the has-been libdems beyond Westminster being desperate to hold onto all the oil .... libdem msp's just following the party line
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I'm going on what I've read.

Do you dispute the claim in the story that "the residents have traditionally been extremely hostile to Scottish independence"? or that "the islands have always been and remain sceptical of Scottish central belt rule”." If so, where can I read something that tells me otherwise?

So the newspaper can make the claims, without providing any sources, but a DS member must spoon feed you chapter and verse?

I have made no claims other than pointing out that the article quotes a report by two Pro-Unionist MSPs, and shows no indication of what this "report" is based upon.
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the SNP would support an option where these island have a free and fair vote, yes?

Doesn't look like it, according to the article. Nicola Sturgeon seems to have cooled on the idea of self determination.
    The SNP has previously recognised the islands’ right to decide their own future but Nicola Sturgeon, the Deputy First Minister, recently angered residents by stating this was wrong because they are “not a nation”.
  • BorderReiverBorderReiver Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the Torygraph are desparately clutching at straws, what with the revelation last week that the Scottish Conservative Advisor on Scotland is the man who thought up the Poll Tax . . .

Unionist MP's in Unionist Newspaper spout Unionist fantasy shock.

The fact is, the "Freedom for Shetland" movement is six men and a dog, and here we have Two Lib Dems, terrified for their seats given recent events, trying to make play out of an idea which is as credible as Robert Mugabe's conscience.

Compare the amount of people in Orkney and Shetland who vote SNP with those who vote for the "Freedom for the Isles" party . . .

Actually, you can't, because there isn't a Freedom for the Isle's Party . . .

Is this really the best the Unionists can do? Seriously?
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, this would be the Tavish Scott MSP who in a fit of rage told Lib Dems to vote SNP live on TV during an election campaign debate if they wanted an independence referendum.

The same Tavish Scott, who lost 19% of his constituency voters and who led the Lib Dems to probably their worst ever result in Scotland, with a total wipeout on the mainland?

The only way we'll know for sure what the people of Orkney and Shetland want is when the question is put to them officially in 2014.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's be even clearer...

I have just read a series of books about Shetland and have come to realise just how independent they are and how their culture emanates from the Norse traditions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I looked, they were part of Scotland. If there is a will by them to separate from Scotland, then for sure.

If they want to go with Norway that's certainly an option.........and a damned sight more likely than them wanting to go with London.

Tell me though. If the North of england vote for a Labour Government, but are defeated by a Southern England vote for a Tory one, would the North of England be allowed to cede from the rest and set up their own Government?

It would actually, but there would have to be a majority of northerners in favour of it, and in spite of what whiny online posters say, there is virtually zero appetite for northern independence.
    I suspect the same will be true of the Scottish islands. If there was any significant support for independence from Edinburgh, some kind of movement would already exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I have just read a series of books about Shetland and have come to realise just how independent they are and how their culture emanates from the Norse traditions.

Congratulations.

The Scottish political structure has been aware of this for hundreds of years.

There is no serious Freedom for Shetland movement, and there never has been. When they elect MSP's who support independent for the Isles perhaps there will be a debate, just as when Holyrood elected an SNP majority . . . however they haven't, and nor do they appear to want to.

What we have here is two MSP's who are very, very likely to lose their seats at the next election given the massive SNP surge in the polls, spouting desparate hopes, being picked up on by a Tory Newspaper whos circulation North of the Border is minimal.

Perspective much?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the newspaper can make the claims, without providing any sources, but a DS member must spoon feed you chapter and verse?

Yes. It's called backing up your claims by attributing them to published articles. Happens all the time - can't believe you've never had to do it before.
    I have made no claims other than pointing out that the article quotes a report by two Pro-Unionist MSPs, and shows no indication of what this "report" is based upon.

Au contraire...
    It's two Lib-Dem MSPs who don't fancy Scots rule

Now THAT'S disingenuous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now THAT'S disingenuous.

Ummm . . .they are Lib Dem SNP's and the Lib Dems are Unionists.

What's disingenuous about that statement?