Options

Australian swimmers told to take gun photo off Facebook

The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
Forum Member
Story here

I'm kind of uneasy about this sort of thing. As far as I can tell from the article, they broke no laws...why should anyone have the right to order them to remove the pictures?

I'm sure there's probably some internal policy they've breached that gives the Olympic committee an excuse to bust their balls, but is it justified in a case like this? They didn't hurt anyone, they posed for a picture, and it seems like it's being treated as a very serious and important matter.

edit: and before an over eager mod moves this...it's not really about sport or London 2012, hence it not being in one of those sections.

Comments

• Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I don't see a problem with that they've done.. typical OTT reaction.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    What a stupid reaction from The Australian Olympic Committee which said the photos were "foolish and clearly inappropriate for members of the 2012 Australian Olympic team". What about all the shooting events in the Olympics - do the Aussie shooters have to use stones?
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "We say again to our athletes, do not put anything up on social media that you would not share with your mother or your grandmother," he added.

why is that even relevant? they are grown men and can do things like this without their approval
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    "We say again to our athletes, do not put anything up on social media that you would not share with your mother or your grandmother," he added.

What if your mother is Heather Gummer?
  • Options
    Dave StentDave Stent Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do the Aussie shooters have to use stones?

I think a brightly coloured water pistol would do the trick.
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the idea that they should be able to do what they like in their free time.

However, the Australian committee probably knows about the likes of the British tabloids, and the sort of stories they like to spin.