A Cat Named Easter - A Tori Amos Appreciation Thread

Comments

• BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Glad you liked it. Before one of her tours, she had a place on her website where fans could request certain covers. I don't think she ever did a Lady Gaga song, but I could see her doing one and it working well. There are some similiarities in Gaga's performances she does at at the piano. Is your name taken from the Bad Kids song by Gaga? That is one of my favourite Gaga songs. Imagine if Tori covered that one! That would be amazing!

Oh yeah it is actually! There's probably a few Gaga ones she could cover, I would like to hear a Tori cover of Bad Romance! What's your opinions on Professional Widow? Do you prefer Original or Remix? I myself enjoy both and used to prefer remix but I've become more drawn to the original recently
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Oh yeah it is actually! There's probably a few Gaga ones she could cover, I would like to hear a Tori cover of Bad Romance! What's your opinions on Professional Widow? Do you prefer Original or Remix? I myself enjoy both and used to prefer remix but I've become more drawn to the original recently

I like the original! I know the remix was a big thing in clubs but I don't like how they cut up the vocals. It just seems very un-Tori to me for some reason.

There's this Spanish site that has the supposed tracklist of the new album. I don't know if it's true or not because the titles are very odd.

1.Unrepentant Geraldines 2. Orthodox 3. May 4. Stare into a Blank Star 5. Mealie 6. Finger Miracle 7. Oranges and See it Crying 8. Unscrewed Hermit 9. Her Smile is Her Father’s Smile (The Sweetest Toffee Stuck To Your Molar Song) 10. Goodbye, Martian.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I like the original! I know the remix was a big thing in clubs but I don't like how they cut up the vocals. It just seems very un-Tori to me for some reason.

There's this Spanish site that has the supposed tracklist of the new album. I don't know if it's true or not because the titles are very odd.

1.Unrepentant Geraldines 2. Orthodox 3. May 4. Stare into a Blank Star 5. Mealie 6. Finger Miracle 7. Oranges and See it Crying 8. Unscrewed Hermit 9. Her Smile is Her Father’s Smile (The Sweetest Toffee Stuck To Your Molar Song) 10. Goodbye, Martian.

Yeah it does lose the feel for the original version

Track 9 is a bit of a mouthful! But other than that, the other titles come across as rather Tori-like in my opinion. Though, I would have thought she would be the first to announce the tracklisting, any other time when sites have done this for other artists, it's turned out to be a stretch from the truth ;-)
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fake. People on another forum are constantly making up bogus tracklists. Wait until an official announcement is made. Her Smile is Her Father’s Smile (The Sweetest Toffee Stuck To Your Molar Song)? Come on!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    It's fake. People on another forum are constantly making up bogus tracklists. Wait until an official announcement is made. Her Smile is Her Father’s Smile (The Sweetest Toffee Stuck To Your Molar Song)? Come on!

Yes, I thought from that it had to be fake. And some of the other titles take parts from other Tori songs and she doesn't always have a song named after the title of the album. I didn't get it from a Tori forum. I got it from the general music section of a Madonna forum and I guess whoever posted didn't realize it came from a Tori forum making up a tracklist. But Madonna fans are like that too, they like to make up funny fake tracklists when she has a new album coming out taking parts of her previous songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oranges and see it Crying has to be one of the best fake song titles. It's been around for years. The Carousel Tamer is a great album title too!
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Tori was very vocal about not liking Lady Gaga... something along the lines of she's just a fad or flash in the pan with little substance... not sure what her view of her now is. To be honest, maybe this is because some of Lady Gaga's piano movement are very reminiscent of Tori. But who knows this view was after Fame monster. It may have changed.

Anyhow, I am very excited about the new album and tour... I get to see her on the day the album is released. I am currently really enjoying some live performances of sugar, father lucifer and crucify on her welcome to sunny florida video which for some reason i played little attention to. They were excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tori was very vocal about not liking Lady Gaga... something along the lines of she's just a fad or flash in the pan with little substance... not sure what her view of her now is. To be honest, maybe this is because some of Lady Gaga's piano movement are very reminiscent of Tori. But who knows this view was after Fame monster. It may have changed.

Anyhow, I am very excited about the new album and tour... I get to see her on the day the album is released. I am currently really enjoying some live performances of sugar, father lucifer and crucify on her welcome to sunny florida video which for some reason i played little attention to. They were excellent.

Tori has said negative things about Madonna too, criticizing her for use of sexual imagery. But that didn't stop her from doing one of her songs. Tori actually also covered one of Britney's songs, I think it was Baby Hit Me One More Time. If she can do a Britney song, she can do a Lady Gaga song, I think Gaga has much more substance than Britney. I think it's whether she likes the song, not necessarily the person singing it.
    Sugar is one of my favourite songs by her. Hope that comes up on this tour. It has kind of a rock feel to it. Crucify was one of the first Tori songs I fell in love with. But I have to say I'd gotten a little tired of it, since she does perform it a lot at her shows. But I guess it's a classic. that a lot of fans want to hear. Another one like that is Hey, Jupiter which she often does. But for someone like me who has seen her a lot of times, I do get bored of those. But she does a great job of mixing the classic songs, with more obsure album tracks/covers and the new stuff.
    Forum Member
    I've not heard her particular comment regarding Madonna and use of sexual imagery. But I am laughing about the toadstools on little earthquake album cover and the boys for pele front cover lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.vulture.com/m/2009/08/tori_gaga_beef.html
    She could be right about Gaga though. Look what's happening to her career now. I don't think she meant it as a diss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tori worked with Christian Lamb, who worked on the visuals of Madonna's last tour, and this is what she said about him:"It took us a year and a half to film this stuff and I'd I get a call from him and he'd say, "I'm going to be filming with Madonna here, can you fly in?" And I'd find myself scheduling my life around Miss Thing - without her even knowing it, of course. And I'm sitting there and the husband is saying, "Where are you going?" And I said, "I don't know! Where's Madonna?" And he said, "You're not serious!" And I said, "I am serious!"Out: Did you hang out with her?Of course not! No! No! No! Two lionesses, different parts of the Serengeti. And it's fine - I have great respect for her and her work ethic and what she does - I do. But I remember this little artist who has sold many records herself coming up to me and she said, "I went up to Madonna and I told her how much she meant to me." She's sitting there confessing this to me a couple of years ago and I'm thinking Stupid!Out: Why would she do that? Why? Why!Why! And I've become like Mother Confessor and she's sitting there with me in the British Airways first class lounge and I'm thinking how the **** did I end up with this while she's having a hang-over and she says, "I just have to tell you... so I say to Madonna, 'You have meant so much to me and to my career..." And I'm just waiting for it and she says, "Madonna just looks at my shoes and says, ‘Those are so last season."And I said, "But why did you go to her with no self-worth?" Because she's going to hate that! "If you really have been influenced by her, so-and-so," I said, "Then look in the mirror and be the gorgeous women you are! You don't need the approval." And come on - Madonna's going to smell the blood.And I said, "You set yourself up for that one." And this singer said, "But I just didn't know why it was necessary for her to respond like that." And I told her, "It wasn't necessary but you set yourself up. Take some responsibility!" Tongue up the ass - it's just so boring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it sad when female artists have a go at other female artists. Female artists should support each other. Today is International Woman's Day. There are many ways for a female artists to express themselves and to approach their art and no one way is better than another. It's all about what feels right for you. I think female artists should respect other female artists even though they do things you might never do.
    But the media has a huge role in this as well. Have you noticed the media always ask female artists what do you think of other female artists like Madonna or Gaga? It's like they are trying to encourage some kind of cat fight to sell newspapers. Journalists don't often ask male singers what they think of other male singers. I think female artists have to be aware of this and be very careful when answering questions about other female artists. Even if you don't mean anything negative when you speak of another artist, the media will often twist into a diss to start the catfight I mentioned before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those of you who would like to know, the album is still being mastered but we should be hearing streams at the beginning of April. On another note, I'm really feeling American Doll Posse and The Beekeeper lately, especially the latter on these sunny days. It gets a lot of flac but some of it is beautiful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is Tori on other artists by the way.
    http://youtu.be/j7i4DZJF-Us
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump. Tracklist and single are out there! Anyone heard Trouble's Lament yet?
    Forum Member
    digging the glasses on the single artwork .... how exciting... its my birthday today .... and I managed to get Kate Bush tickets and now I'm waiting to hear Tori's lead single :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love it.
    http://noisey.vice.com/blog/tori-amos-returns-heres-her-new-track-troubles-lament

It's very Tori but still accessible. I see this as being very big on stations like BBC2.
    Forum Member
    thank you for sharing ....

on first listen - i like it a lot ...but for me its more of an album track rather than lead single.... elements of Scarlett's walk and Beekeeper in styling and sound.

now if its the lead single i would be like .... oh! ok!?

but if its an album track used for promo before the lead single I would be thinking omg ... this album is going to be amazing.

but the sound production is good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The single is available to download on Amazon. It's nice and eerie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a promo interview with a short interview with Tori and video of a photo shoot. It also has short clips of two of the other songs from the album playing in the background. They sound fantastic!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nsw9lY7O1k
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a product description of the deluxe edition of the album from amazon with some more tidbits about the album.

This is the Deluxe Edition of Unrepentant Geraldines. This package is bound as a hard cover book with lyrics to every song, contains a bonus track entitled, Forest of Glass and includes a DVD that features video footage from Tori's photo shoot, studio work and interviews with the artist.

Out of the flux of ambition and distraction and imagination came Tori Amos s 14th studio album: Unrepentant Geraldines. It s a vivid and vital album on which Amos once more zeroes in on the writing of brightly melodic, deftly evocative chamber-pop. Fairy-tale soul-poems, you might say. Or, a view from the middle-aged bridge. Women would talk to me about feeling trapped, which is explored a lot in this record there s a freedom I had writing this record.

Unrepentant Geraldines was written over the past few years and entirely recorded in her Cornwall studio with long-time collaborators Mark Hawley and Marcel Van Limbeek, working as a triangle.

2014 brought a fresh approach to creating and working for Tori. The album features Trouble s Lament, an eerie Southern blues song in which Amos s matchless voice conjures up images of how the flames from Satan s tongue are charged and licking at her heels...

America s South makes a tangential appearance in Giant s Rolling Pin. It s a pithy, spry, jig-like satire on the NSA/Edward Snowden affair that also references the magical, truth-giving powers of pies made by Beth, Marlene and Caroline, three remarkable women based out of a café near Amos s beach home in Florida.

From global and institutional politics to personal and emotional ones: Oysters is a classic Amos piano ballad, evocative of her timeless breakthrough album, 1992 s Little Earthquakes.

Unrepentant Geraldines is also available on CD and Vinyl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are all the Tori fans?

Here's another piece of an interview with her about the new album.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ-Ezu9sYPE

She actually talks normally and you can understand what she means. Sometimes in interviews in the past she has been a little too obtuse and bizarre. She looks great too. I'm really liking the new more grounded down to earth Tori this era.

She also did a promo concert in Berlin today.
    Here's the set list:
    Parasol
    Lust
    Trouble's Lament
    Selkie
    Ribbons Undone
    Take To The Sky

That's one great thing about Tori. She's not predictable in her set lists like some artists who do the same things over and over. I guess the fact that she's not really a conventional pop radio artist who has hits frees her to do whatever she wants. Whereas with certain artists they have to perform certain of their biggest hits or people get bent out of shape.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard some of Promise today. Why oh why could it not have been a b-side or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I heard some of Promise today. Why oh why could it not have been a b-side or something?

I heard that. I didn't think it was all that terrible, but it's not my favourite song by her. I don't really think Tori is too much of a singles artist anymore so you don't really have B sides like you used to.
    On the positive side, a low quality recording of her song Oysters leaked out today. It's a beautiful stripped down piano sort of similiar to Cooling.