Options

Tips to gain weight

Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
Forum Member
I know usually people are seeking help on shifting some pounds but I really need to gain some, or a stone ideally!

I'm 5ft4 girl and just under the 7 stone barrier. I've always been slim but since having a pretty physical job I can't seem to keep any weight on and i'm always fighting to keep it on. I try to eat often and have a good appetite but there's not always enough time in the day to eat, I work 9 - 6. I was thinking about buying some calorie drinks or protein shakes but everything seems directed at people body building and trying to gain muscle.

Does anyone have any tips or experience in struggling to keep weight on? Or know anything about these protein drinks? I went into a health food shop and it was a minefield of different powders and things.

Comments

• Options
    Sife LucksSife Lucks Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    I'm a 5'11 male and only 9 stone (at a push). I'm very skinny and have Marfan Syndrome like features. I've posted a ton of threads asking for advice on how to gain weight and the most common answer was always just to increase your calories by like, 100 per day or something.

One week I ordered fast food every night (plus ate tons during the day and barely left the house) and only gained like two pounds, which I quickly lost after a day or two.
  • Options
    ICUDOICUDO Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Do you smoke? If you do then give it up and you'll put on weight faster than a fast thing putting ion weight
  • Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bananas
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreamer27 wrote: »
    I know usually people are seeking help on shifting some pounds but I really need to gain some, or a stone ideally!

I'm 5ft4 girl and just under the 7 stone barrier. I've always been slim but since having a pretty physical job I can't seem to keep any weight on and i'm always fighting to keep it on. I try to eat often and have a good appetite but there's not always enough time in the day to eat, I work 9 - 6. I was thinking about buying some calorie drinks or protein shakes but everything seems directed at people body building and trying to gain muscle.

Does anyone have any tips or experience in struggling to keep weight on? Or know anything about these protein drinks? I went into a health food shop and it was a minefield of different powders and things.

Do you drink coffee ? If you do, try to use a pint of full fat milk a day by having a milky drink.
    The fact that you say there is not always enough time in the day to eat is telling. If you don't eat you will lose weight, it's that simple. If you want to put on weight you will have to make time or you never will.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being thin is very good for your health assuming you are not anorexic or similar. If you must put on weight then higher density whole foods such as whole grains, nuts and seeds together with a weights program (the weights bit doesn't need to mean the gym but can be simple home exercises to gain muscle).
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try poor carbs and high sugar foods, like white bread, thick cut sandwiches, crisps, chocolates, cream cakes, biscuits, thick crust pizzas, garlic bread and chips. Be inactive. Stop smoking if you do. Aim for 4000-5000 calories a day.

The weight will pile on.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry the nuts and grains idea only works after a years of doing it.

If you want to gain weight more quickly, you just have to eat more. Keep eating what you currently are as it probably isn't very fatty if you don't gain weight, but increase your portion sizes. If you usually have one helping of pasta, starting taking 1.5. After a month, increase it to 2 etc.

You basically need to increase your stomach size by filling it with more (hopefully still healthy) food. Also snack between meals. I gained about 8 kgs in under 6 months doing this when I was in my 20s and underweight. As my portion sizes increased, so did my stomach size, and I became hungrier more often, and this in turn made me eat more and gain more weight. It's a cycle.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up your calories. Really that's it. When I was in your shoes I ate constantly but if I wanted to gain weight I'd have to have a 2000 calorie lunch where usually I'd have around 500. Drink whole fat milk. Have am extra egg or two in the morning. Use cheese and mayo or butter on your sandwiches. Use 'real' food, no 'healthy spreads' or the like. You want useful nutrition not fillers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alcohol can help you gain weight as well, say a bottle of wine or four cans of lager in the evening. In addition to the extra calories in the booze, it makes you want to snack more, so you'll take in more food such as crisps, nuts, take aways and fry-ups.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make up a trifle, mixing a pack of lard with chocolate Angel Delight, Black Forest Gateau and ice cream. Add a bottle of sherry and top it with whipped cream. Smoke two spliffs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you go to McDonald's every lunchtime? A large Big Mac meal with large regular coke and a McFlurry has around 1,500 calories a time. Add on maybe an extra cheeseburger or other extras?
  • Options
    Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eat a lot of dates daily. Guaranteed to help you gain weight.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Milk is good for gaining weight.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    Bananas
    But not too many or you end up starting thread after thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I don't drink alcohol or coffee, but i'm getting on the chocolate milk

I've started to count calories in order to make sure I push over the 2000 mark everyday, even if it means eating the wrong things.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had to see a dietician for my daughter who needed to gain weight (or whatever the correct title is, she was in the hospital so a qualified medical professional not a Gillian McKeith type).

After looking through the weekly food diary which contained plenty of fruit, vegetables, meat, fish and so on and she suggested we should put aside the healthy home cooked meals and feed our daughter fry ups, a couple a week at least. :D
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old are you?
    Generally it's harder for naturally thin people to gain weight when they are younger,under 30,And sometimes you pay for chasing the weight gain when you do hit your 30's.

Don't bother with the protein shakes,the majority of the calories in them come from the milk you mix them with,just drink the milk.
    Also some exercise with weights could help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    donovan5 wrote: »
    How old are you?
    Generally it's harder for naturally thin people to gain weight when they are younger,under 30,And sometimes you pay for chasing the weight gain when you do hit your 30's.

Don't bother with the protein shakes,the majority of the calories in them come from the milk you mix them with,just drink the milk.
    Also some exercise with weights could help.

I'm 22 and apart from me I think it'd be far to say all my family members who were similar to me at my age are now overweight and on diets!

I just feel uncomfortable and childlike being this small, I want to get to a reasonable weight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like you need to up your daily calorie intake above the recommended amount for a woman. You could try:

Sainsbury's 'big breakfast' sandwich - 850 calories (breakfast)

Large Big Mac meal with McFlurry - 1,500 calories (lunch)

Pizza Hut deep pan meat feast - 4 slices - 1,100 calories (dinner)

Snack on crisps, biscuits and chocolate. Drink sugary colas and energy drinks. Eat side dishes like garlic bread covered in oil.

On 4,000 calories daily (at least) should help you 😄
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    pies

lard
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sort of job do you do, are you a vegetarian?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    It sounds like you need to up your daily calorie intake above the recommended amount for a woman. You could try:

Sainsbury's 'big breakfast' sandwich - 850 calories (breakfast)

Large Big Mac meal with McFlurry - 1,500 calories (lunch)

Pizza Hut deep pan meat feast - 4 slices - 1,100 calories (dinner)

Snack on crisps, biscuits and chocolate. Drink sugary colas and energy drinks. Eat side dishes like garlic bread covered in oil.

On 4,000 calories daily (at least) should help you 😄

And if it doesn't help with the weight gain it'll help with giving them diabetes and a heart attack. It is possible to increase the calorie intake in a healthy way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreamer27 wrote: »
    I just feel uncomfortable and childlike being this small, I want to get to a reasonable weight.

Unless you are unhealthily thin (i.e. eating disorder) then I'd just enjoy what you are, many people will really envy you. If you feel you must gain weight then at least eat more healthy calories rather than junk food and use weights to build up muscle rather than fat but be very careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    Plucky_OctopusPlucky_Octopus Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know how you feel.

Am near 30, 5"4 and petite.

When I was younger I was healthy ate what I liked but looked ill. I know how you can feel people judge you and assume you're ill. I can also confirm what a previous poster said about getting older and naturally weighing a bit more, happened around 25 for me.

You can do small changes to your cooking for a quick fix, eg not making a tomato sauce but a cream sauce with dinner. Adding cream will add the calories without trying.

To be honest, if you are really worried then see a dietician, but my personal opinion is; don't worry, yes you want a bit more meat on your bones, but age will do it's work and catch up.