Flying Routine - Your Views?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm not keen on it, I'd prefer to see another standard skating routine to be honest.

The flying can look very good but there's just never any skating in the routines, or much dance to be fair, it just seems like the celeb get swung around - albeit gracefully - touches the ice for a second before being lifted again!

I'd prefer the final to have maybe one new, old favourite and Bolero. Maybe even one slow song and one fast out of the first two to show what they can do in both styles.

What does everyone else think?:)

Comments

• wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natstally wrote: »
    I'm not keen on it, I'd prefer to see another standard skating routine to be honest.

The flying can look very good but there's just never any skating in the routines, or much dance to be fair, it just seems like the celeb get swung around - albeit gracefully - touches the ice for a second before being lifted again!

I'd prefer the final to have maybe one new, old favourite and Bolero. Maybe even one slow song and one fast out of the first two to show what they can do in both styles.

I'm with you, they are beyond pointless. Its bad enough when some routines in normal shows consist of pretty much lifts alone but when you add to that wire work that encourages even less skating I find myself wondering why im watching. Its supposed to be about skating not flying around on a wire, if I wasnted to see celebs doing stuff like that id watch Cirque de Celebrata
  • ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    I've not watched any of the previous series so can't comment from actual watching experience, but by the sounds of it, it won't be something I'd like.... I'd prefer to see two routines on the ice, one favourite and one new... If they were a fast and a slow one even better- will show off the versatility of the finalists...

xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    The routines can look good but at the same time I feel a little cheated because there's so little skating in them; I think I would like it better if the routine had to have a certain percentage performed on the ice.
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually quite enjoyed them, the first time I saw them I thought they were awesome.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely wrote: »
    I actually quite enjoyed them, the first time I saw them I thought they were awesome.:D

I do think some wire stunts can look really good, series one i probably loved it but then last year i was bored by it.

Dancing on Ice not Flying on Wires!;)
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    TBH - I'm bored with flying AND Bolero in the final - why can't they do another of the iconic routines like Barnum, Mack & Mabel or Face the Music?

I'd rather see a new routine incorporating ALL of the compulsory elements, an old favourite and a T&D routine which varies each year.....
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I'd rather see a new routine incorporating ALL of the compulsory elements, an old favourite and a T&D routine which varies each year.....

That would be great actually.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I've never seen it before but I can imagine it's a bit like the props, they just get in the way of an entertaining dance routine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I'm not keen on them. I'd rather see another routine too.
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    I don't find them that impressive. I'd rather see more skating. "Flying" is something that doesn't require a person to be wearing skates. Now, if people were being swung around the ice on a rope, that would be more interesting. Say like Greg and Christina and the table thing, but with a big sash or rope to swing each other round on. That would require rather more skating technique than being hauled around in mid air without actually touching the ice, surely?
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    newbie71 wrote: »
    I've never seen it before but I can imagine it's a bit like the props, they just get in the way of an entertaining dance routine.

I actually quite liked props, particularly the one with the table (I think it was Greg and Christina?).
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they are beautiful to watch - but they are an irrevelance, and undoubtedly the advantage lies with the girls; Bonnie 1st series, Clare last year - did superb routines - but Stefan and Kyran were at a definite disadvantage.

I'd think they should be judged on one fast routine and one slow - it would shut up people like me :D:o - who feels Chris hasn't shown us a slow intimate number and Zaraah hasn't shown us an upbeat fast routine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the guys are never going to look as graceful flying as the girls.

I liked Props in series 1 and 2 but they took it too far this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless T&D are doing it themselves, I'm not too keen on it either and I suppose it has to be Bolero also because that's what the celebs themselves want to achieve because that is the main one so they can't really change it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    TBH - I'm bored with flying AND Bolero in the final - why can't they do another of the iconic routines like Barnum, Mack & Mabel or Face the Music?

Bolero is the big one as thats what they won olympic gold with - thats the one their most famous for. Any celebrity coming in and getting to the final two and then having to choreograph and perform something else would be a let down seeing as for 3 years now the finalists performed it so they can't really change it.
    Everyone says Bolero was the first to get perfect 6.0s but it wasn't Barnum was - Bolero got more 6.0s than Barnum in the technical side of things as well. I think M&M got one 5.9 for artistic impression.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    Absolutely wrote: »

So did I loved Bonnies flying rouitine
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    They did it last year:yawn: and the year before that.:yawn:
    It's not skating but acrobatics.

I really thought they could come up with something new.... especially as we already know Chris will win, Suzanne 2nd and Zaraah 3rd.Would love it if my prediction is wrong but would be more :eek: if it wasn't.
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newbie71 wrote: »
    I can imagine it's a bit like the props, they just get in the way of an entertaining dance routine.

That's my view. It's bizarre that it's not part of the show till the final and then it plays such a major part. It favours the girls too, and like the unfair distribution of props it detracts from the skating.

I would prefer to see new routines, one fast one slow in the final. Also I'm a bit bored with the Bolero as no one gets anywhere near the original. :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, you can't beat the original and I fear especially this year Chris F will ruin it, because above all the technical stuff, Bolero is about connection with your partner and that's where he fails terribly, she can't even keep up with him.:rolleyes:

They could do a showcase like in SCD, where they pick and choreograph everything.
  • tilly07tilly07 Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    No one flys like Mr Whiston !!
  • ava2007ava2007 Posts: 285
    Forum Member

Yes I agree on all counts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 498
    Forum Member

definitly agree. im not even keen on T&D doing it. as said not much skating involved and all the professionals can do is skate around them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tilly07 wrote: »
    No one flys like Mr Whiston !!

Didn't he fly to Angels or something on the tour? Can't quite remember but He was very good, definitly had the Wow factor to it!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    No I'm with you on the flying.. it's nice and all, pretty to watch.. but in the spirit of the competition ( I mean how many times do we hear from the judges about the girls who are constantly lifted and how the want to see them ON the ice) I would like to see more skating. I know it's not an easy task, but I do prefer to see them skate.

As for Bolero.. it's classic and I hope they keep it for next season (hopefully !?!)
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say:

No flying.

No Bolero.

IMO, flying shouldn't be part of the show at all - it just has too little connection with ice - and I'm tired of Bolero.