Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent retention for The Apprentice and I presume it's opposition will get temporarily easier once Scott and Bailey finishes next week. Scott and Bailey didn't inherit any additional viewers from a stronger lead in, not that Surprise Surprise performed that well - indeed, considering the lead in and opposition that's a very disappointing rating.

Waterloo Road is an embarrassment but Trsut Me I'm A Doctor performed very well; could it overtake the school soap by the end of the run? Gunpowder 5/11 struggled between two strong shows. Channel 4 had a steady if mediocre night Channel 5 didn't do badly until 10pm when Wentworth slipped. Emmerdale is very close in share to Coronation Street; ITV need to take heed very quickly.
    Dancc wrote: »
    Channel 5 could push Big Brother to 11pm as it looks to go more upmarket under Viacom and be less reliant on the reality show, claims The Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/channel-5-gives-big-brother-the-cold-shoulder-9811916.html

Just cutting one of the celebrity series would do - I think a move to 11pm would be slightly extreme.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    No way the movie is getting a TV release this soon though.

ITV did show The Queen the same year that it was released at the cinema, I think that there were around 6 months from release date to television premiere.

Like I said, not sure where or why it's in my head ..... and no it wasn't a friend of a friend who heard it from a cleaner who works at the BBC and moonlights down the Dog and Duck pub as a barmaid during the week.
  • Options
    david_leewarddavid_leeward Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Now don't ask me where I've got this from, but I've got it in my head that the BBC are showing one MBB at Christmas with the film on New Years Day, and the second special is held back until next Christmas.

I'm not sure where I have read it or heard it somewhere - sometimes it is scary inside my head :o

MBB da movie is aload of rubbish, it doesnt even warrant a slot unless its moved to BBC3
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Those who were wondering about F1 Brazilian Grand Prix Highlights a few pages back on Sunday 9th November. BBC Programme Information has them scheduled from 8pm-9:30pm on BBC One. Unusual for the BBC to have a 9:30pm junction.

Provisional schedules have F1 down for 8.30pm-10pm, with Strictly 7.45pm-8.30pm, which would be interesting (and cause a few arguments) if it sticks. I suppose it's better than a Mrs Brown's Boys repeat at 9.30pm. If it does stick I can see ITV extending X Factor's results show by 15 minutes to start at 7.45pm, they've done it in the past (I think.)

There won't be any clash at all on the Saturday though, Strictly currently down for 6.30pm-8pm, with an hour long Doctor Who (last episode) at 8pm. X Factor 8pm-9.45pm. I can see Strictly start to move later the week after this though, with Atlantis at 8.15pm or even 8.30pm with Strictly at 7pm.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11pm may be a good thing for Big Brother if they went back to old editing style and not put out silly twists, They are not catering to mainstream anymore so may as well keep the fans happy.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    More than making up for the lack of Sherlock. In fact I'd dare say the finale of Miranda might even do better than Sherlock..

No way is Miranda beating that Sherlock rating. Might get over 12m but not much over it.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Provisional schedules have F1 down for 8.30pm-10pm, with Strictly 7.45pm-8.30pm, which would be interesting (and cause a few arguments) if it sticks. I suppose it's better than a Mrs Brown's Boys repeat at 9.30pm. If it does stick I can see ITV extending X Factor's results show by 15 minutes to start at 7.45pm, they've done it in the past (I think.)

There won't be any clash at all on the Saturday though, Strictly currently down for 6.30pm-8pm, with an hour long Doctor Who (last episode) at 8pm. X Factor 8pm-9.45pm. I can see Strictly start to move later the week after this though, with Atlantis at 8.15pm or even 8.30pm with Strictly at 7pm.

Well the BBC have got to find some way of overlapping with TXF.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    A miranda Xmas finale as a send off is a good idea. I am a big fan of the shoe, but for me, series 3 was a bit ropey at times, so I'd rather the show to out with a Big Bang rather than fizzle out, as would Miranda Hart I iimagine!

Big Brother at 11:00 doesn't sit right with me. I can't see the show working when it sits in the margins of the schedule. The nature of the beast, for me, is all or nothing. I think half the reason the civilian version is dying is because its a half-arsed event as it is. Scaling it back further and shunting it to a later slot would just further prove they don't have faith in the show.

I would rather see it not return than be a pale imitation of what the show used to be.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    No surprise as she's just too busy to do another series. I thought maybe another special here and there. Just a shame that when it crosses to BBC1 and becomes huge, it ends.

I am not sure its anything to do with being too busy. I think she wants to get out of it as there really isnt much life left in it and she wants to move on completely.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Yeh - all the BBCs fault I suppose.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

guestofseth, do you have BBC Two's schedule for both evenings? Wondering two things:

1) where F1 Qualifying is on Saturday
    2) if there is a 90 minute placeholder on the Sunday where they could move the F1 to in the event that Brazil is definitely not a title decider (which we will only know after USA)

Cheers. :)
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    ITV did show The Queen the same year that it was released at the cinema, I think that there were around 6 months from release date to television premiere.

Like I said, not sure where or why it's in my head ..... and no it wasn't a friend of a friend who heard it from a cleaner who works at the BBC and moonlights down the Dog and Duck pub as a barmaid during the week.

The Queen aired a year after its cinema release, most films with some exception produced by ITV, BBC Film or Film4 are usually air on TV around a year later. Some films like Tamara Drewe and Made in Dagenham take a bit longer.

Philomena I could see airing on BBC One, Saving Mr Banks might air on BBC Two but I'm unsure if will air this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, ignoring the other channels, which is the better schedule for BBC One, A or B?

Schedule A
    18:15 - Countryfile
    19:15 - Strictly
    20:00 - F1 Highlights
    21:30 - Comedy repeat

Schedule B
    18:45 - Countryfile
    19:45 - Strictly
    20:30 - F1 Highlights

Personally, I think B is the stronger schedule which is what BBC should be thinking of.

(It should be noted that on digiguide Countryfile is currently 75 minutes, from 7.30pm, which is clearly wrong so there will be some changes to Sunday's schedule.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet the USA Grand Prix highlights are airing between 10.30pm on 12 midnight on 2nd November, partially clashing with Match of the Day 2.

Not that they have much choice, due to start time.
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Yeh - all the BBCs fault I suppose.

Well in this case it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    guestofseth, do you have BBC Two's schedule for both evenings? Wondering two things:

1) where F1 Qualifying is on Saturday
    2) if there is a 90 minute placeholder on the Sunday where they could move the F1 to in the event that Brazil is definitely not a title decider (which we will only know after USA)

Qualifying seems to be 9pm-10.30pm on BBC Two. There's a 90 minute Match of the Day on BBC Two on the Sunday at 6.30pm, that's probably it, there's nothing 90 minutes on BBC One.
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street this time last year 2013 was when Corrie started to go downhill with 'The Tina Show' taking over.

Monday
    7:30pm 9.79m (42.7%) ...............................8.14m (37.5%)
    8:30pm 9.42m (38.3%)...............................8.53m (36.6%)

Wednesday
    7:30pm 8.71m (40.1%)..................................7.46m (36.3%)

Friday
    7.30pm 8.07m (39.3%)
    8.30pm 7.98m (35.7%)

And remember this week was a promoted week and and big story. I'm confused why ITV don't seem to be doing anything about the fall in viewership.

How do you know they aren't? It's not as easy as just firing Blackburn and then everything will be resolved, although he is the root of the problem. How about looking at the writers who are writing lackluster episodes for starters.

I would presume they're very concerned at their flagship show posting harsh declines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Qualifying seems to be 9pm-10.30pm on BBC Two. There's a 90 minute Match of the Day on BBC Two on the Sunday at 6.30pm, that's probably it.

The 90 minute Match of the Day will actually be the FA Cup highlights... a very congested weekend for BBC Sport!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, ignoring the other channels, which is the better schedule for BBC One, A or B?

Schedule A
    18:15 - Countryfile
    19:15 - Strictly
    20:00 - F1 Highlights
    21:30 - Comedy repeat

Schedule B
    18:45 - Countryfile
    19:45 - Strictly
    20:30 - F1 Highlights

Personally, I think B is the stronger schedule which is what BBC should be thinking of.

(It should be noted that on digiguide Countryfile is currently 75 minutes, from 7.30pm, which is clearly wrong so there will be some changes to Sunday's schedule.)

9th November is the last Downton Abbey isn't it? It'll presumably be 90 minutes in length (though I can't remember how long the last series finale was). If it is they could run the Formula One 8 - 9.30 and then Death in Paradise after it.

Part of me thinks the highlights of a potential title win for Hamilton starting at the same time as The X Factor could hurt the latter more than a recorded results show anyway, especially if ITV extends The X Factor by 15 minutes to start alongside Strictly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Channel 5 could push Big Brother to 11pm as it looks to go more upmarket under Viacom and be less reliant on the reality show, claims The Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/channel-5-gives-big-brother-the-cold-shoulder-9811916.html

Rather than push it back to 11pm, they could move it across to 5* to anchor that channel over the summer, with CBB remaining in a prominent January slot. That way, the programme remains out of the way but still benefits the channel. If they move it to 11pm they might as well just axe it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody hace access to the fnal ratings for The Apprentice and You're Fired for lastweek?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BCO1 wrote: »
    Doesn't it usually get around 800k viewers? It has been higher this week so it will be interesting to see if it can retain any of the extra viewers who have watched this week.

Loose Women hasn't been close to 800k for months. It has been around 500k until the boost of the last couple of days.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The 90 minute Match of the Day will actually be the FA Cup highlights... a very congested weekend for BBC Sport!

Forgot about FA Cup, there's also the ATP World Tour Finals on BBC Two on the Sunday as well. There's a Football slot on BBC One on the Sunday 13:55-16:20, I take it this is FA Cup as well, if they pick a Sunday 1st round match what will they air on Friday 7th on BBC Two? They do only have the one 1st round pick, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Does anybody hace access to the fnal ratings for The Apprentice and You're Fired for lastweek?

Main show
    14/10 - 8.22m (30.8%)
    15/10 - 7.50m (27.6%)

You're Fired
    14/10 - 2.55m (12.8%)
    15/10 - 2.80m (13.4%)

:)
    Forgot about FA Cup, there's also the ATP World Tour Finals on BBC Two on the Sunday as well. There's a Football slot on BBC One on the Sunday 13:55-16:20, I take it this is FA Cup as well, if they pick a Sunday 1st round match what will they air on Friday 7th on BBC Two? They do only have the one 1st round pick, right?

The Sunday slot is a new 'Final Score' strand, featuring goals from eight games as they go in.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Big Brother moving to 11pm is unlikely, I imagine they'll keep CBB but reduce normal Big Brother's run and air at 10pm with the exception of Fridays and maybe the weekend.

I find it interesting that Channel 5 are planning to go upmarket considering that the Dawn Airey then Desmond era were all downmarket shows. I expect they'll keep the popular shows like Can't Pay, Benefits Britain and the And Proud as well as the shock docs but the commissions like Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty, Rome: The World's First Superpower and Alex Polizzi's Italy are signs that Ben Frow wants to bring in the BBC Two and Channel 4 audience along with their own core audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Main show
    14/10 - 8.22m (30.8%)
    15/10 - 7.50m (27.6%)

You're Fired
    14/10 - 2.55m (12.8%)
    15/10 - 2.80m (13.4%)

:)
    Thanks DMN.

The Apprentice has quite a young demo but doesn't timeshift as much as you'd expect. Good figures on the whole I'd say.
This discussion has been closed.