BBC iplayer freezing up on Firefox

yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It streams the content okay, but when I click one of the control buttons on the screen box (i.e volume or to click to a different point on the stream), my computer freezes up for a few seconds. But the sound coming from the stream continues as normal. Sometimes when the lag is severe enough, the sound does stop a bit later on. I suspect maybe its not my whole computer frozen, maybe its just Firefox thats freezing up.

I don't understand whats going on, just last week, the bbc's iplayer was working fine on Firefox. On Internet Explorer its the same problem. On Chrome though the issue is a lot less severe, although there is a tiny bit of a freeze-up when I click on one on the control buttons on the iplayer screen.

Please note, my browsers are up to date.

Comments

• newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    Are your flash plugins up to date?

Otherwise it's always a good idea to uninstall them and reinsintall from scratch.
  • bigluke1970bigluke1970 Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iM HAVING THIS PROBLEM AS well - any other advice
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you scanned your computer/laptop for viruses and malware? It may not be that, but it's always best to just check.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post edited.
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Have you scanned your computer/laptop for viruses and malware? It may not be that, but it's always best to just check.

Yeah I've done a few scans recently with malwarebytes and microsoft security essentials. They came back clean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Firefox problem with video acceleration that's quite long-standing. Use Chrome.

Unless you want to change your hardware there isn't an option other than the above or putting up with it. Mozilla may fix it, but it's a direction they're not going in with rich media.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    If it is the above you can play a video in iPlayer, right click in the video, click settings and untick 'enable hardware acceleration'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    If it is the above you can play a video in iPlayer, right click in the video, click settings and untick 'enable hardware acceleration'.

Depending on the hardware, it might drop frames this way or freeze or go out of sync. It's a workaround where YMMV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I found this fix below resolves the problem

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1024952