Panasonic Or Sony

When it comes to choosing a large screen HD TV which make/brand would u choose ?. I go for SONY or PANNY above all others. Altho Samsung and LG both build excellent HD TV's I tend to stick to Sony or Panny.

We all know that Sony and Panasonic HD screens are more expensive than other manufacturers but what makes them stand out better than others ?.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member
    Joe-Blade wrote: »
    When it comes to choosing a large screen HD TV which make/brand would u choose ?. I go for SONY or PANNY above all others. Altho Samsung and LG both build excellent HD TV's I tend to stick to Sony or Panny.

We all know that Sony and Panasonic HD screens are more expensive than other manufacturers but what makes them stand out better than others ?.

They are better made, more reliable, and as companies offer a much better service.

Samsung and LG are considerably below the top two, with reliability (and early obselescence) serious concerns.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeps it simple too, If you want an LCD you buy a Sony, If you want a Plasma you buy a Panasonic. Why confuse things with other brands. :)
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and if you want a shaver you buy a philishave:rolleyes: actually, looks more like this :eek:
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never got on with them electric razors - brought me out in a rash. Though of course a philishave might have been OK, it would have stopped working long before the rash :D
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toshiba are very good as well and are cheaper than Sony. Two Toshibas later and no complaints.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe-Blade wrote: »

If your thinking about a LCD keep both Sony and Panasonic in mind.

Having personally made the awful mistake of buying a panasonic Plasma this year, If your looking big and considering a panasonic Plasma you must absolutely go see the TV in the flesh first.

get something nice and bright on screen and wack the contrast and brightness right up, you'll see a Horrendous flicker. lower it back down to normal viewing levels, if you still see it, you'd best consider that it will do your head in at home as your regular TV. All Panasonic TV's using the Neo PDP technology in the last 2 years flicker like this, it is a design feature/fault depending on who you speak to who has a clue about it. This years panasonic TV's also have some issues with motion with regular TV and HDTV stuff( anything 50hz if you know your tech).

Sony's LCD's won't do this but they do have a fantastic HD picture and pretty amazing black levels for LCD though not plasma black levels. If your most going to be viewing in a well lit room there is no contest get the Sony. I'd certainly be well happy with a high end sony at the mo.

If you still want a plasma and can see the issues with the Panasonic range, recent high end LG plasma's are decent enough, but if you want the best of the best your going to be hunting the Free-ads or e-bay and the like for a Pioneer Kuro LX- 5090/6090 or KRP-500/600.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Through my own, limited, experience, Plasma is better than LCD, so I'd have to say Panasonic, though those Sony LCDs do give a damn good picture!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Toshiba are very good as well and are cheaper than Sony. Two Toshibas later and no complaints.

I would not touch them with a barge pole, sony are in a totally different league to Toshiba.

I think Toshiba must be the most complained about LCD ever but they do have the best sound when using just TV speakers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    Keeps it simple too, If you want an LCD you buy a Sony, If you want a Plasma you buy a Panasonic. Why confuse things with other brands. :)

I agree but pioneer are the daddies of plasma but for normal people who dont have money to throw around a panasonic will have to do.
    Of course LCD it has to be Sony everytime.
  • The quizmasterThe quizmaster Posts: 92,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently bought a Sony 40HX803 and the picture is breathtaking in SD and HD. I even have a trinitron which is nearly 20 years old and is still functioning :eek:
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had my Toshiba Regza 37" LCD for a couple of years now and have never had any complaints.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,688
    Forum Member
    If you can afford and justify paying more for a tv then it has to be Panasonic or Sony. The very best in picture quality, build and reliability, all backed up by Which? report, after Which? report.

For me Panasonic edge Sony, but it's only a matter of preference really, I like their set up and where Sony seem to have menus to direct you to features, the Pannys have separate direct access buttons on the handsets.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either, however they are dearer than their competitors, but in this instance you always get what you pay for. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    They are better made, more reliable, and as companies offer a much better service.

Samsung and LG are considerably below the top two, with reliability (and early obselescence) serious concerns.
    Hi, I agree I am just in the process of replacing samsung LE40686 that has just been wrote off after only 18 months decided on panasonic TX-P42G208, I hope this is a good choice, (luckily it was covered by extended warranty). chris.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Do Pioneer still make Plasma's ?. I thought production had ended but Yeah I agree that Pioneer screens are impressive but expensive.
    I went into John Lewis and looked at the new Panasonic LED LCD range. A 42 inch Freeview HD led cost £899 with a free 5 year warranty. An excellent price for an exceptional tv.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pioneer stopped making plasmas a couple of years ago. It's as if they never existed on their website.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    Pioneer stopped making plasmas a couple of years ago. It's as if they never existed on their website.
    Another brand i never see anymore is JVC. Do they still make tvs? Their old Crt widescreen sets and plasmas used to have a very good picture but i never see any JVC sets anymore.:cry:
    Forum Member
    Another brand i never see anymore is JVC. Do they still make tvs? Their old Crt widescreen sets and plasmas used to have a very good picture but i never see any JVC sets anymore.:cry:

JVC only rarely made their own CRT TV's, you used to see all kinds of sets badged JVC, and just a few obviously JVC built ones.

I can't comment on their LCD's, or even if they still sell them, but the odd ones I've seen in customers houses looked OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I agree I am just in the process of replacing samsung LE40686 that has just been wrote off after only 18 months decided on panasonic TX-P42G208, I hope this is a good choice, (luckily it was covered by extended warranty). chris.

You won't be disappointed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JVC only rarely made their own CRT TV's, you used to see all kinds of sets badged JVC, and just a few obviously JVC built ones.

I can't comment on their LCD's, or even if they still sell them, but the odd ones I've seen in customers houses looked OK.
    I didn't realise that. Do you know who made most of them? I still have a JVC 32" widescreen CRT and i have always been impressed with the picture. I know when CRT widescreen tv's were still king the JVC name was very common.
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise that. Do you know who made most of them? I still have a JVC 32" widescreen CRT and i have always been impressed with the picture. I know when CRT widescreen tv's were still king the JVC name was very common.

In later years they were usually Vestel, in much earlier times they even bought sets from Thorn (the TX100 chassis). They also bought sets from Onwa at one time, a really cheap nasty portable.

Those are the three that spring to mind, but there were many other makes as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In later years they were usually Vestel, in much earlier times they even bought sets from Thorn (the TX100 chassis). They also bought sets from Onwa at one time, a really cheap nasty portable.

Those are the three that spring to mind, but there were many other makes as well.
    I am very surprised because most JVC tv's were not cheap and were good quality. I don't understand why some makes who have a good reputation allow their name to be used on cheap rubbish made by Vestel.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Panny plasmas are ftw.
    Forum Member
    I am very surprised because most JVC tv's were not cheap and were good quality. I don't understand why some makes who have a good reputation allow their name to be used on cheap rubbish made by Vestel.

As I said, most JVC TV's were not made by JVC at all, so they never had a very good reputation in the trade, and the ones they actually made weren't highly thought of either.

JVC only ever had a good reputation for VCR's, they were never highly rated as a TV 'manufacturer'.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    in much earlier times they even bought sets from Thorn (the TX100 chassis).

I presume this was in return for Thorn buying and re-badging their VHS decks?
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    I presume this was in return for Thorn buying and re-badging their VHS decks?

No, it was supposedly part of a plan by the head of Thorn to try and get awarded a knighthood :D

Obviously the connection between Thorn and JVC had some bearing on the situation, as they already had close contacts.