Options

So Clara's been the mastermind behind every single episode of Doctor Who?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
My heads in a mess, I feel like I've just watched 50 years of Doctor Who in one episode :p

Comments

• Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.... She merely went back and reverted TGI's meddling in The Doctor's timestream back to normal.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The things I was a bit confused with when it come to Clara were:

1) Why did she seemingly have no memory of The Doctor as Oswin and Vicky Clara but clearly knew he was in her other forms? Which leads me to -

2) Beside Oswin and Vicky Clara were the other echoes real people? Were they born? Did they have a life? Did they die? Because besides the two we had already meet, the others seem to be flash appearances, going from one Doctor to the next. For example when she followed Six around a corner she saw Four, and when she was watching Three drive she suddenly appeared in a park with Eight and Two (all the time wearing the same clothes).
  • Options
    mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea, she went back in time and undid the work of The Great Intelligence.

The bigger question I have, is who or what is The Great Intelligence, and how has The Doctor annoyed it, or encountered it in the past?
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mdtauk wrote: »
    Yea, she went back in time and undid the work of The Great Intelligence.

The bigger question I have, is who or what is The Great Intelligence, and how has The Doctor annoyed it, or encountered it in the past?

He's a longtime foe of the Doctor, from 2's era.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything that happened, happened as normal, but the GI went back and messed with his life. All Clara did was ensure that those things still happened as they did originally.

So, the answer to your question is kind of yes and no. That's what I think anyway...
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GI killed or otherwise thwarted the Doctor in all of his previous adventures.

Clara prevented the GI's interference in those adventures, so they happened as they did originally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I would have liked to have seen a little more of what exactly the GI was doing to the previous Doctors whilst in the time-stream. Was he somehow just erasing the good deeds that The Doctors had done?

Also, I would have liked to of seen more of how Clara stopped him.
    I dunno, the flashbacks just made it seem like instead of killing the Doctors, the GI was just being mischievous and setting up events that would hinder him and Clara was counter acting these. At least one Clara/GI showdown would have been good to see.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    So Clara IS the Big Red Reset Button

Or the Doctor's Anti-Virus software

:D
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a momentous concept but so poorly done.

Little emotional investment, Clara is a walkin' talkin "deus ex machina"

Perhaps deliberately, but still... poor stuff from Moffatt! Again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so Clara wasn't a companion per se just someone who gave the Doctor advice/possibly saved/rewrote his history then 'died'? She knew her purpose was to do x and then dissappear and leave Sarah Jane and the other companions to meet the Doctor to do what they did with the Doctor as Clara had rewritten the GI changes? I can only suppose that is what happened as she couldn't replace all the companions as there would be blood shed on the DW boards lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Such a momentous concept but so poorly done.

Little emotional investment, Clara is a walkin' talkin "deus ex machina"

Perhaps deliberately, but still... poor stuff from Moffatt! Again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why exactly would Clara do that anyway?

She is a normal person, barely knew the Doctor. Basically sacrifices herself to save him.

You can only get away with such self-sacrifice if it was a long-term companion who had got to know the Doctor very well and was probably in love with him. Certainly that does not apply to Clara.

Maybe with the Rose companion it would have worked. But few people watching at home would care about Clara when she jumped into the light.

This is all very poor stuff masquerading as epic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Clara is a "deus ex machina" because the sacrificial behaviour was not in any way characteristic of her.

Uncharacteristic behaviour of a character is after all the usual "deus..." cop out.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    And why exactly would Clara do that anyway?

She is a normal person, barely knew the Doctor. Basically sacrifices herself to save him.

You can only get away with such self-sacrifice if it was a long-term companion who had got to know the Doctor very well and was probably in love with him. Certainly that does not apply to Clara.

Maybe with the Rose companion it would have worked. But few people watching at home would care about Clara when she jumped into the light.

This is all very poor stuff masquerading as epic.

She didn't just save the Doctor. She saved the universe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Clara is a "deus ex machina" because the sacrificial behaviour was not in any way characteristic of her.

Uncharacteristic behaviour of a character is after all the usual "deus..." cop out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    She didn't just save the Doctor. She saved the universe.

And it was completely out of character.

There was no reason for her to behave that way other than the script saying so.
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it was completely out of character.

There was no reason for her to behave that way other than the script saying so.

If she hadn't saved the Doctor, there wouldn't have been a universe to be alive in. It was a sacrifice but in a way she was just choosing the manner of her death.
  • Options
    SamsterSamster Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Yes Clara "choose her death" but we all know she is the companion in S8 so clearly something gets worked out and she is now irrevocably linked to River somehow ('Spoilers' as she faded tells us that)
  • Options
    LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samster wrote: »
    Yes Clara "choose her death" but we all know she is the companion in S8 so clearly something gets worked out and she is now irrevocably linked to River somehow ('Spoilers' as she faded tells us that)

Also she knew that she had to go in the timeline because she heard Vastra mention the Dalek Asylum, something The Doctor said happened so it was her destiny in a way.
  • Options
    Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how people seem to know how long it takes Clara to become attached to someone....:D

People can fall in love in a matter of days and weeks, and that is a normal person.

This is the Doctor and how long they were travelling together is not exactly clear is it, it's not like we saw all their adventures. :rolleyes:

And what she did in the end was in no way out of character, in the slightest.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Samster wrote: »

When stepped into the Doctor's timeline, fixed the GI's meddling and then the Doctor saved her, Clara's voice over said her story was done.

So I think the character is now just an ordinary girl, hence her crying, so maybe the link to River Song will be lost.
  • Options
    SamsterSamster Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    When stepped into the Doctor's timeline, fixed the GI's meddling and then the Doctor saved her, Clara's voice over said her story was done.

So I think the character is now just an ordinary girl, hence her crying, so maybe the link to River Song will be lost.

You could be right, I just felt river implied more than that

.... by the way are you in Edinburgh too?
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love River. Just putting it out there.

Have to say though, Clara...yeah, she behaved really out of character, and for what...I was watching the episode and thinking if you gender-flipped Clara's character she would be incredibly dislikeable for how (in general) helpless she is and more of a hinderance than anything. When she was a Dalek at least she was kinda helpful, but in this episode...and in the flashbacks for that matter - apart from the first one with the TARDIS, she seems to just miss the Doctor. (thus actually having no effect)

What else does she do in the episode? Finds herself lost and just bangs her head down on the floor, gets herself caught by those things going through the door and just grabs out for him to help her rather than shaking free or whacking them herself, nearly gets herself caught umpteen times...

It just grates on me how she's meant to be a great saviour but every time I've seen her she's been pretty helpless and more of a hinderance than a help to the Doctor as he has to always look out for her.

Doesnt the Doctor say it himself? That the one advantage she has is...him. Like she actually has nothing of her own to offer?

She could have been written better so this didnt seem like such a leap, is all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I'm biased because I still haven't warmed to Clara and if she'd died, I'd have been fine with it. The Doctor would have been upset, but he'd have got over it - he always does.

I loved the episode but I also have doubts. It's not a matter of how many adventures they've shared, but how they acted together and it was always stilted or quippy and always cool. It was only in The Name of the Doctor that they suddenly seemed closer. Fair enough that on his part he should trust her after what she did, explaining her mystery, but he seemed more affecionate, even beforehand - maybe for narrative reasons. As for Clara, I've never believed that she really cared for him, more that she thought he was ok, if weird, and could help her to travel, while she still held down her job. All the other main companions seemed to have a more genuine personal relationship with him.

I'm not rehashing the tired and easy old Moffat vs RTD thing, either. Amy wouldn't even have stopped to think, remember.her trying to run to him at Utah - what was she going to do, jump between him and the Astronaut? I had no trouble with Amy adoring him enough to do try that. Rory had already died for him in Series 5, when he wasn't even that close to him and had had about as much screentime as Clara, but I easily believed that he was noble enough to take a bullet for him, even if he was quite ambivalent about him personally. River's life was one big sacrifice.

Clara wasn't a deus ex machina, because that suggests she or her time travelling came out of nowhere. However I wasn't convinced that the character I'd been shown would do this (and sadly didn't care.) Vastra I'd have believed, but she'd have had trouble blending in...:p