How have The Saturdays made it to single 15 anyway?

swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
Forum Member
When all their albums other than their debut flopped?

Is this a first? I am a fan btw but it certainly shows a lot of faith from the label or that they make money for them some other way? what do you think.

Comments

• AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they've been very clever with their money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes their albums have have done badly but most of their singles have entered the top 10 and they are common names in the tabloids.
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well girl bands aren't created to sell albums.

Never have been but especially now more than ever when pop careers are just the 'job' to help sell the brand.

As with the Girls Aloud mould they make lots from advertising deals and having their tracks play over every ITV2 advert/trailer going.
  • GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking also as a Sats fan, I've been really surprised on occasions by how much faith the label has in them. Wordshaker and On Your Radar sold terribly, then 30 Days seemed to hang in limbo and I thought the end had to be coming. SO glad I was proved wrong! Gentleman is the best thing they've ever done imo, I just hope the album release is handled properly ie with a good strong third single leading it. I don't particularly like albums being released after 3 singles anyway, 2 is enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've managed to stay relevant for five years, which is pretty great when you think about it. I mean, what other British act from 2008 is still in the charts today?

They've yet to have that HUGE flop, really. Wordshaker and On Your Radar both bombed but it wasn't like they were completely irrelevant because Wordshaker produced a 300K selling 'Ego' and On Your Radar produced Notorious and All Fired Up which sold a fair amount, plus they had a decent selling arena tour at the time.

Until the girls have an Amelia Lily/Alexandra Burke situation where their singles are only just scraping the top 40 AND their album bombs AND their airplay is dead, then they'll probably be around for a long time.

edit - and their third "album" Headlines didn't flop. It sold over 200K with only two singles released from it, and it only had five new songs on it.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only one I can recall is Just Cant Get Enough and that's because they murdered Depeche Mode's classic
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive Saturdays fan (even been to see them live and everything) and I think they're more singles artists than album artists. Most of their singles have managed to get the top 10 and they seem to have a steady fanbase. Trouble is that their albums are not promoted very well and most casual music buyers who are not massive fans aren't aware of the group. Wordshaker and On Your Radar were a complete flop and the Wordshaker era was handled really badly. I think the other problem with their albums is that they release a couple of random singles and move on to the next album. They need to do what Katy Perry did with Teenage Dream and keep the album campaign going on for a year or two, releasing several singles from it.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite appropriate really for Gentleman to reach no 15, as it matches My Heart Takes Over (and controversially, their only 2 reasonable singles since Higher).
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    There's lots of artists with record deals who sell less albums than The Saturdays. I don't really expect them to get dropped, and there's other ways to make money from a music act than album sales these days.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »

edit - and their third "album" Headlines didn't flop. It sold over 200K with only two singles released from it, and it only had five new songs on it.

it was a "mini album" though, with only 8 tracks and 4 of the tracks were hit singles, it was also priced cheaper than an album too.

Quite appropriate really for Gentleman to reach no 15, as it matches My Heart Takes Over (and controversially, their only 2 reasonable singles since Higher).

it got to #14 actually, but i do think it deserved to do better and i liked "my heart takes over" too.

its staggering that they are still releasing music to be honest. their album sales are less than 750k and that is including "headlines". also, considering they're often touted as a "singles group", i would have expected them to have shifted more than just over 3 million singles over 15 releases. so with total uk sales just shy of 4 million and after 5 years in the business, it difficult to understand how the label can keep them going with such moderate results sales wise.

the label must take a cut in all of their endorsements and probably profit from their touring too, record contracts seem to incorporate other avenues of earnings more and more these days. its the only possible explanation that makes any sense.:eek:
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably have one of those ridiculous deals with the label that sees the label get a % of their profits, even if it has nothing whatsoever to do with their music
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    They probably have one of those ridiculous deals with the label that sees the label get a % of their profits, even if it has nothing whatsoever to do with their music

Do deals like that exist? that's strange as it seems the music isn't even their priority and it should be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I think they're called 360 deals where the label gets a % cut in each thing they do such as endorsements. I believe Lady Gaga has a 360 deal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Simi89 wrote: »
    I think they're called 360 deals where the label gets a % cut in each thing they do such as endorsements. I believe Lady Gaga has a 360 deal.

Yes, it's called a 360. Artists who sign those are just asking to be slaves to the industry. Especially when people are making impact doing it independent. In a 360, the label agrees to finance you, but instead of a normal deal where you just pay them back on the loan and keep all the rest, they get a percent of ALL your income. No matter what it is from. You could start a lemonade stand and they get some of that too. For a while, labels wouldn't do anything other than 360s just because they get the better end of the deal and that is why you would see all these new rappers signing for something ridiculous like $3m. If you go to the Roc Nation website, there is a separate section for all the people they have under a 360. Poor them.

Motown used to do nothing but 360s which is why almost every artist involved in Motown ended up broke at some point or another. They owned everything. Touring, publishing, any royalties you would receive, and anything else you could think of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's called a 360. Artists who sign those are just asking to be slaves to the industry. Especially when people are making impact doing it independent. In a 360, the label agrees to finance you, but instead of a normal deal where you just pay them back on the loan and keep all the rest, they get a percent of ALL your income. No matter what it is from. You could start a lemonade stand and they get some of that too. For a while, labels wouldn't do anything other than 360s just because they get the better end of the deal and that is why you would see all these new rappers signing for something ridiculous like $3m. If you go to the Roc Nation website, there is a separate section for all the people they have under a 360. Poor them.

Motown used to do nothing but 360s which is why almost every artist involved in Motown ended up broke at some point or another. They owned everything. Touring, publishing, any royalties you would receive, and anything else you could think of.

That is truly shocking!!!! I can't seize to think how the split would be like, if the label uses the 360 deal on an artist! Plus, wouldn't the artist have to split their earnings with the management team also? I saw a bit of Love & Hip Hop Atlanta the other week (don't judge me :o ) and Joseline is signed to Stevie J, who is her manager and apparently he gets the massive lion share on her gigs and club appearances! There were rumours Stevie gets the majority cut of Joseline's salary on the show!! :eek: Doubt that's true though. Speaking of Roc Nation, what management deal is Rihanna in? She makes serious money from tours, singles, endorsements etc.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though I think the music is part of the degeneration of the culture, and the lyrics are perhaps the worst thing in creation, it is quite strange how much the label appears to back them.

Its not even like the labels they go to are starving for money and see The Sats as a meal ticket, they always have much bigger and better names, yet for some reason The Sats seem to exist in this strange protective state. Then again that song with Sean "I am now a professional feature artist" Paul did raise them quite a bit in the states, so maybe they are on the rise over there and that would explain the continued interest.
    Forum Member
    paltonz wrote: »
    That is truly shocking!!!! I can't seize to think how the split would be like, if the label uses the 360 deal on an artist! Plus, wouldn't the artist have to split their earnings with the management team also? I saw a bit of Love & Hip Hop Atlanta the other week (don't judge me :o ) and Joseline is signed to Stevie J, who is her manager and apparently he gets the massive lion share on her gigs and club appearances! There were rumours Stevie gets the majority cut of Joseline's salary on the show!! :eek: Doubt that's true though. Speaking of Roc Nation, what management deal is Rihanna in? She makes serious money from tours, singles, endorsements etc.
    Yes, the have to do a cut with management also. Unless you are like GaGa, who is also managed by interscope. They are making bank off of her. I don't think Rihanna has a 360. She's signed to Def Jam, managed by Roc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the have to do a cut with management also. Unless you are like GaGa, who is also managed by interscope. They are making bank off of her. I don't think Rihanna has a 360. She's signed to Def Jam, managed by Roc.

That's a relief for her then. She releases an album every year, tours very frequently and now does movies, so that's a lot of money she's earning. As for GaGa, I saw on some star profiling show that she was bankrupt several times during her Fame Monster tour. Considering the mammoth profit she has made overtime afterwards, I suppose Interscope won't need to worry and will be raking in the big bucks.

The Saturdays must be having a 360 or something like that. I'm not really sure how they are doing in the US though. I know their E! show tanked and What About Us hardly made any impact on radio and sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Saturdays must be having a 360 or something like that. I'm not really sure how they are doing in the US though. I know their E! show tanked and What About Us hardly made any impact on radio and sales.

It should be noted that What About Us never actually got sent to radio and any promotion they did performing the song was set up by E! to promote the show only.

They're going back to the US next year apparently to launch a single properly and release an album.
    Forum Member
    That's a relief for her then. She releases an album every year, tours very frequently and now does movies, so that's a lot of money she's earning. As for GaGa, I saw on some star profiling show that she was bankrupt several times during her Fame Monster tour. Considering the mammoth profit she has made overtime afterwards, I suppose Interscope won't need to worry and will be raking in the big bucks.

GaGa was only bankrupt because interscope decided not to give her anymore money so she paid for the extra shows herself. That includes, travel fees for everyone involved, salaries, and everything.
    Jessie J did the same thing her first year out as well. The label didnt want to cut the check, but she had her management keep booking her shows so she could keep performing and all that extra came out of pocket. She still had some songwriting money from royalties so she could do it, but she ended up drastically in the red too until she started recouping money from her album sales. Luckily for her, she isn't managed by her label.
    It's like a death wish to be managed and signed by a label. That is why Iggy Azalea left interscope amount other things. They only manage like three people and GaGa is one. They lost a lot of money from GaGa working with Akon in the beginning so now they refuse to let anyone they manage have side deals. Probably why they only manage a small amount of people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Daily Mail is sometimes the main thing keeping their careers afloat. There is an article or more on the Saturdays - and especially Mollie King - in every single edition, and they are always fawning fluff pieces.

It isn't their talent or personalities that keep them going, anyway. I like their first two albums well enough but not anything they've done since then, and their personalities have never stood out at all to me either as individuals or as a brand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Daily Mail is sometimes the main thing keeping their careers afloat. There is an article or more on the Saturdays - and especially Mollie King - in every single edition, and they are always fawning fluff pieces.

It isn't their talent or personalities that keep them going, anyway. I like their first two albums well enough but not anything they've done since then, and their personalities have never stood out at all to me either as individuals or as a brand.

Correct.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    It should be noted that What About Us never actually got sent to radio and any promotion they did performing the song was set up by E! to promote the show only.

They're going back to the US next year apparently to launch a single properly and release an album.

How come it never got sent to radio? I wonder will that album and single be a new one or one of their older songs? If they had any sense they'd release Higher featuring Flo Rida over there and promote the hell out of it. They should also release an album in the US consisting of mostly existing singles and album tracks but also a couple of new songs. I'd have on it:

1. Up
    2. Work
    3. Ego
    4. Higher (ft Flo Rida)
    5. All Fired Up
    6. What About Us
    7. Gentleman
    8. One Shot
    9. Why Me, Why Now (Motown version)
    10. Chasing Lights
    11. Lose Control
    12. Set Me Off
    13. Fall
    14. Get Ready, Get Set
    15. Faster
    16. New song
    17. New song

Bonus tracks/deluxe edition:

18. 30 Days
    19. Last Call
    20. Puppet
    21. New song

How would that sound for a US launch album?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They never sent it to radio because their label had no intention of making What About Us a hit or establishing the girls as a music group. Their only focus was a successful reality show. E! got them on Fashion Police, Chelsea Lately, The Today Show, Jeff Probst Show and Jay Leno to promote the show and all the label did was book them in for a few radio interviews. Even when the song was at #102 on iTunes their label made them return to the UK and do nothing for three months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like All Fired Up, Ego, Higher, Missing You and Gentleman, they're my top 5 sats singles

Worst 3 have to be Notorious, Forever is Over and My Heart Takes Over

Really like them as a group and hope Vanessa's voice keeps improving :)