Starbucks - asking your name

jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
What in the name of all that is corporate evil is this?

I went into Starbucks the other day and they asked my name so they could write it on my cup and make me feel like an individual.

I know this is some hair-brained idea thought up by some marketing thug but who allowed this bad idea to bear fruit.

I go into Starbucks for a nice cup of coffee generally to pass some time if I'm early for an appointment. I don't need to feel valued or to be treated as an individual.

Until they stop this insanity I am swerving them.

Comments

• burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give them a false name - like Cecil or Ermintrude.
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't been there for a good while and popped in the other week. They asked my name, so I told them. She asked twice what it was (it's an unusual name) and the third time I couldn't be bothered to correct her so just nodded at what she wrote down. Her colleague who made the drink then couldn't read her handwriting, so I had yet another variation on my name. So in short, totally and utterly pointless and in future, I'll stick to my local place, the coffee is far better anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My name is Costa :D
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    My name is Costa :D

Or Neros.

I have not been in a starbucks for a few years now, never been in our local one.

I will stick with Neros or costa.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Or Neros.

I have not been in a starbucks for a few years now, never been in our local one.

I will stick with Neros or costa.

Or.... Señor Nero La Costa....get them both in...
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I really don't like this, mainly because I have to spell out my name and then they can't pronounce it correctly. I'm more of a Costa girl myself anyway :)
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a pointless marketing strategy. I bet their employees are embarrassed to take part in this. Needless and pointless chattering about names. It has the potential for people to make a complete joke out of it.

'Name please?'
    'Adolf'
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Titus. A. Sphincter would be my reply.

The coffee is blooming awful, I just can't understand why people us any of these coffee chains.
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are mad because they wanted to know your name so your coffee doesn't get served to someone else? That is kinda odd to be mad about, but hey you guys are free to be angry about anything you want I guess.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are mad because they wanted to know your name so your coffee doesn't get served to someone else? That is kinda odd to be mad about, but hey you guys are free to be angry about anything you want I guess.

It was 7:45 am and I was the only person in the queue so they didn't need to know my name to give me the right drink.

There was also promotional literature about how they were asking my name so they can could make me feel like an individual and not just a customer.

I am fine just being a customer.

On the other hand I am now across the age of 40 and I am finding a comfort in moaning on places like this. It means I can still be polite and pleasant to people I encounter in the real world as I have purged myself of the inner demons of anger that plague me in increasing frequency these days as I see things like this for the empty, meaningless gesture they are. I would rather rant in here than to a hapless and encumbered employee who has to follow an insane and insulting procedure that he doesn't agree with either, if he was being honest.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    Tell them your name is Fenella Featherstone-Shaw, and say that if they misspell it, you will feel deeply affronted.
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a great chance for much hilarity . pity i don't drink coffee.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    It was 7:45 am and I was the only person in the queue so they didn't need to know my name to give me the right drink.

There was also promotional literature about how they were asking my name so they can could make me feel like an individual and not just a customer.

I am fine just being a customer.

On the other hand I am now across the age of 40 and I am finding a comfort in moaning on places like this. It means I can still be polite and pleasant to people I encounter in the real world as I have purged myself of the inner demons of anger that plague me in increasing frequency these days as I see things like this for the empty, meaningless gesture they are. I would rather rant in here than to a hapless and encumbered employee who has to follow an insane and insulting procedure that he doesn't agree with either, if he was being honest.
    Fast food chains don't seem to have a problem getting the correct meal to the customer. Not sure why Starbucks think making a coffee and getting it to the correct person is such a difficult task.
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Fast food chains don't seem to have a problem getting the correct meal to the customer. Not sure why Starbucks think making a coffee and getting it to the correct person is such a difficult task.

Our's do, the McDonald's now have double drive-thru's so they have to double check what you ordered when you pay and when you get to the last window, the Starbucks have multiple register's and so do Paneras, they take your name to let you know when you can pick up your coffee or food. I don't understand getting pissed about having to give them your name? If you don't want to give your real name why not just make one up, that works unless you forget which name you gave them, lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

That's because in fast food joints you are in a single line queue where they take your order and hand it straight over to you (in the majority of cases).

In Starbucks you place your order and pay and then move to the end of the counter where you may join other customers to await your drink. So when you find you've ordered a 'skinny latte' and 4 other people have also done the same surely the fact it has your name on assists in stopping anyone taking your drink by mistake.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Must be a nightmare if they get two customers with the same name
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because in fast food joints you are in a single line queue where they take your order and hand it straight over to you (in the majority of cases).

In Starbucks you place your order and pay and then move to the end of the counter where you may join other customers to await your drink. So when you find you've ordered a 'skinny latte' and 4 other people have also done the same surely the fact it has your name on assists in stopping anyone taking your drink by mistake.

That isn't the reason thy are doing it though. Also, you still order in a queue so your order will be ready in that same queue, so if I've ordererd a latte before someone, the first latte will be mine as I was first, not rocket science.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be fun if a group entered one at a time and all used the same name, Johnathan Warmly-Chunder or something.
  • TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    They pride themselves on ''personalising the Starbucks experience'', don't ya know? They state so on their job application forms. A lot.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just think how bad it is for the Arts graduates who work their. Poor saps.
  • TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member

Starbucks should give receipts if that's the case.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose when they ask for your name you could answer "Mike Hunt" and hope for the best.

At a Starbucks in Glasgow the barista asked one customer for his name, and somebody in the queue shouted "don't tell him Pike!"
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,461
    Forum Member
    They've been doing this in the US for some time - when you are in a mega busy one (sadly no Costa or Nero's so it Starbucks or other tasteless hot water) it is way easier than them shouting out the same drink that 6 people have ordered, causing a scrum at the pick up point!
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "My name? Jeff Vader......... and if my brother Darth turns up I'll be sat over there....."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    They can't stuff up with a name like 'Kylie' easy for me..

But if u have an unusual name, or spelling, just say ur name is Jane / John no biggie, u come in for a coffee, who cares if they ask u your name, it's not the persons fault serving you, they are just doing their job as to company's policy.
    As long as he/she makes a good coffee/latte and it's done in an efficient time is all i worry about...

Kyls :p