Most haunting film you have ever seen

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which film has stuck with you the most - not necessarily violent/intentionally disturbing just one that has stayed with you for a long time.

I ask because a friend of mine asked me a few days ago if I could remember watching 'When The Wind Blows' at school. I couldn't and looked it up on Youtube this morning. I feel awful now :(:o

Just curious and nosey really :D

Comments

• Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grave of the Fireflies is pretty emotional.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One that springs to mind is Peter Weir's 'Picnic at Hanging Rock', although I admit it lost something when the myth about the book it was based on being non-fiction was thoroughly debunked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which film has stuck with you the most - not necessarily violent/intentionally disturbing just one that has stayed with you for a long time.

I ask because a friend of mine asked me a few days ago if I could remember watching 'When The Wind Blows' at school. I couldn't and looked it up on Youtube this morning. I feel awful now :(:o

Just curious and nosey really :D

The whole film is on youtube lol I've not heard of that one but there is a similar type film I remember seeing, I think it was based in Sheffield or up North somewhere, it starts with a mushroom cloud and a woman wets herself, that film has stuck with me for a while, I tend to love weird mad films so there are so many Ive watched and regretted after because they play on my mind but two I do remember are cannibal holocaust and man behind the sun, both freaked me out quite a bit!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i think it was called "the burning bed" or something similar, it was about a battered wife, i was one at the time. unbelievably i watched it with my batterer who didn`t bat an eyelid.

i sobbed all the way through and i rarely cry.

edit: and it was a true story.

it was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_Bed
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Dead of Night" ~ a black and white paranormal type film from 1945.

Slightly understated and very unnerving.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiance26 wrote: »
    The whole film is on youtube lol I've not heard of that one but there is a similar type film I remember seeing, I think it was based in Sheffield or up North somewhere, it starts with a mushroom cloud and a woman wets herself, that film has stuck with me for a while, I tend to love weird mad films so there are so many Ive watched and regretted after because they play on my mind but two I do remember are cannibal holocaust and man behind the sun, both freaked me out quite a bit!

Threads - the infamous third world war TV film. Scared the crap out of me at the time!
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Threads - the infamous third world war TV film. Scared the crap out of me at the time!

Me too!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too!!

Yes! Thats the one, I still cant bring myself to watch it again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it was called "the burning bed" or something similar, it was about a battered wife, i was one at the time. unbelievably i watched it with my batterer who didn`t bat an eyelid.

i sobbed all the way through and i rarely cry.

edit: and it was a true story.

Yes I have seen that, I didnt realise it was a true story though. Thats dreadful.

I'm so pleased you are no longer in that situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An American Crime, it's based on what happened to Sylvia Likens, a 16 year old girl who was tortured to death by the woman she was boarding with, the woman's kids and some neighborhood children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Crime
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too!!

I jumped every time I heard a plane fly by for weeks after it.

Warning - its not for the faint hearted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I haven't heard of that before, dont think I will be looking for it. Im still reeling from what I watched earlier - talk about cartoons lulling you into a false sense of security! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This doesn't count as a film, but one horrifically haunting piece of television is the old Tales of the Unexpected episode, 'The Flypaper'. I understand they don't even show this one in reruns, as it deals with a horrible theme. It's on youtube, though, for those who are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V40FT_NWCw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calien01 wrote: »
    An American Crime, it's based on what happened to Sylvia Likens, a 16 year old girl who was tortured to death by the woman she was boarding with, the woman's kids and some neighborhood children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_American_Crime

Ive seen another version of this story, totally horrific :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Theres is a movie, it felt like one of those made-for-TV jobbies, that had an unhinged mother kill her two young children and I think herself, in her car from carbon monoxide poisoning. "Hungry Like The Wolf" was playing on the car stereo whilst it happened. That;s always stuck with me, and it makes me really upset whenever I hear that song!

Other than that, the scars of Watership Down are still with me. I noticed it was on one of the ITV channels today, I will be staying well clear of that.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Demons II, We used to watch all the 18 rated films my parents rented at the time, I was about 10 and this one was a bit :eek: to my mind then.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't heard of that before, dont think I will be looking for it. Im still reeling from what I watched earlier - talk about cartoons lulling you into a false sense of security! :o
    I wouldn't recommend it either, it's extremely scary and might change your political views. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I got the cartoon playing now lol Seems like quite a sweet cartoon aswell!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    Theres is a movie, it felt like one of those made-for-TV jobbies, that had an unhinged mother kill her two young children and I think herself, in her car from carbon monoxide poisoning. "Hungry Like The Wolf" was playing on the car stereo whilst it happened. That;s always stuck with me, and it makes me really upset whenever I hear that song!

Other than that, the scars of Watership Down are still with me. I noticed it was on one of the ITV channels today, I will be staying well clear of that.

That would be Small Sacrifices, based on the real life murders committed by Diane Downs - although she did not kill herself.
  • AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies is pretty emotional.

Thiiiiiiss. Heard it described as 'the best film you'll never want to see again', sums it up!
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    One that springs to mind is Peter Weir's 'Picnic at Hanging Rock', although I admit it lost something when the myth about the book it was based on being non-fiction was thoroughly debunked.

I remember that, yes, I was haunted by it for quite a while after I saw it and then bought the book. I so wanted the girls and their teacher to be found. :(
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Don't look now' has haunted me since it first came out in 1973.

Amazing film in many different ways.
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I jumped every time I heard a plane fly by for weeks after it.

Warning - its not for the faint hearted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg

Haha, it's not that bad!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the beautiful (and short) Russian animation
    The Hedgehog In The Fog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRsXU4Q6a0Q

The Bear Cub talked and talked, and the Hedgehog thought, "Isn't it good that we're together again?" And also he thought about the Horse: how was she doing there, in the fog?
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the Wind Blows.

Haven't seen it for years. I'm sure it's not as scary as it was in the 80s but I bet it's still pretty moving.