Stories not considered very good you really like?

Comments

• AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I would probably add Boom Town and The Idiot's Lantern to my list as well, if they aren't popular...I loved these ones :)
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People didn't like Boom Town?! Ok add that to my list too! That was a great ep!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see A Town Call Mercy is getting some love too, I thought it was one of the best of Series 7!

Also, I really like The Age of Steel/Rise of the Cybermen. I know it has its faults, but it's one of the few post-2005 Cybermen episodes in which the horrific and emotional implications of the Cybermen are actually explored.
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    From the Classic Series, I do rather like 'The Mutants', and Williams-era Baker stories such as 'Eden', 'Creature' and 'Nimon', which I routinely see lambasted, I also think have a lot going for them. I'll also hold my hand up and admit thoroughly enjoying 'The Trial Of A Timelord' season! :)

From the New Series, definitely 'Love & Monsters' - it's very obvious to me why many fans simply revile this story, but, in common with many of those quiet, mid-season, RTD-penned episodes, I think it's an absolute masterpiece.

Regards,

Cypher
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warriors of the Deep.
    I have never seen anyone who has liked this story apart from me. I really enjoyed it, certainly more than the overlong "The Silurians" from the Pertwee era.

Trial of a Time Lord.
    I'm more inclined to count this as 4 separate stories rather than one, but I enjoyed all of them a lot more than Colin Baker's previous season (Attack of the Cybermen and Revelation of the Daleks excluded). Terror of the Vervoids is my favourite Colin Baker story.
    Conversely, I found Vengeance on Varos a bit dull so although everyone else seems to love this story, I found it quite boring and uninspired.

I'm really not fussy at all when it comes to New Who so there are plenty of stories I've enjoyed which other people have hated. These include:

The Lazarus Experiment
    The Beast Below (I actually thought this was brilliant)
    The God Complex (One of my all-time favourites)
    The Rings of Akhaten

...to name just a few.

PS. I also thought A Town Called Mercy was a fantastic episode, but I was under the impression that it was fairly popular.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    Yes The Curse of the Black Spot is generally dismissed as a filler I have seen some comment about it, but I enjoy the dialogue and the premise of it.
    Smith and Jones is a fine pacy quality episode also.
    I always enjoy Attack of the Cybermen, Greatest Show in the Galaxy and Battlefield.
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    The Beast Below (I actually thought this was brilliant)

Grrrrr, I wish I could like this one.

On the face of it, it looks to have all the ingredients of a great Doctor Who story - a warped, dystopian future, political commentary, lots of potentially interesting symbolism.

But I just can't.

The politics and symbolism went absolutely nowhere. 'Doesn't matter how you vote, nothing changes' - well, that's certainly interesting, but *show me* through the evolution of the story, let me conclude that myself from the subtext - don't just say it outright and leave it there. The Smilers and the Winders initially seemed provide some wider symbolic meaning, potentially a projection of some part of Liz 10's personality, but ultimately amounted to nothing more than a secret police inexplicably dressed as clowns.

And then there was the denouement. Yes, because when you're faced with two sides: a tortured creature and its torturers, the Doctor is automatically going to decide to murder the tortured. 'Old, wise and loves children' - you really knew him that well on your second adventure? And what is with the Doctor kow-towing to authority figures, in this case Liz 10, who was reprehensibly given a free pass despite being the architect of a society that killed children.

Just ewwww...no, no, no....
    The God Complex (One of my all-time favourites)

I agree - I thought it was great - a real diamond in the rough. :)

Regards,

Cypher
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rings of Marinus

The Chase

Logopolis

Castrovalva

Delta and the Bannermen

Greatest Show in the Galaxy

The TV Movie

The Unicorn and the Wasp
  • Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greatest Show in the Galaxy - It is heavily underrated, and one of my favourites. Very different from any other Who story

Looking at this thread one wonders where all the hate for that story comes from as lots seem to like it.

I was also unaware that Death to the Daleks was considered a poor story among fans. I love it.

Revelation of the Dalkes is by far the worst Dalek story for me.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Classic Series I always think Time Flight is an enjoyable story even with all it's faults. Yes it isn't as good as Earthshock, yes it has some dodgy CSO effects such as mixing studio footage with the real Heathrow and yes, a lot of the plot is decidedly dodgy. After all, how the hell did Concorde take of from that prehistoric terrain?! :D

However, there are some really enjoyable elements to it. The Master temporarily defeating The Doctor for once, the Doctor at Heathrow annoying authority in a Faceless Ones sort of way. I also love the early 80's feel to it and the freshness of Davison at the end of his first Season is still evident. Plus Anthony Ainley puts in a reasonable performance and I enjoy the banter between The Doctor and The Master. Plus it doesn't feature Adric(aside from one clip) and is one of only thee stories where it was just Nyssa and Tegan, which I thought worked better without Adric, who caused a lot of Tegan's fieriness in Season 19.

Plus there was the unusual cliffhanger about Tegan and whether we'd see her again or not!

As for New Who, agree about Boom Town, I think it's a very enjoyable episode with humour and energy and CE actually puts in one of his funniest performances in the episode as well. The scene with The Doctor and Slitheen Margaret as she tries to use every weapon at her disposal and is instantly rebuffed by him is hilarious!

:D
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    TimCypher wrote: »
    From the Classic Series, I do rather like 'The Mutants', and Williams-era Baker stories such as 'Eden', 'Creature' and 'Nimon', which I routinely see lambasted, I also think have a lot going for them. I'll also hold my hand up and admit thoroughly enjoying 'The Trial Of A Timelord' season! :)

From the New Series, definitely 'Love & Monsters' - it's very obvious to me why many fans simply revile this story, but, in common with many of those quiet, mid-season, RTD-penned episodes, I think it's an absolute masterpiece.

Regards,

Cypher

Snap! On Mutants and L&M. Can't remember enjoying Eden or Nimon, but Creature a goody.

God Complex excellent too. Don't know if it rates poorly, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned often.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely think A Town Called Mercy is very underrated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I really like Fear Her. I was surprised when I first came to these forums that it seems to be hated by practically everyone, it's one of my favourite David Tennant episodes. :)
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Space Pirates
    Colony in Space
    The Celestial Toymaker
    Time Flight
    Fury from the Deep
    Revenge of the Cybermen
    The Claws of Axos
    The Krotons
    The Dominators
    The Space Museum
    Trial of a Timelord
    The Wheel in Space
    The Rings of Akhaten
    The Ark
    The Keys of Marinus
    The Sensorites

Overrated stories
    City of Death (I find it boring and I cannot understand why some people think its one of the best doctor who stories)
    The daemons
    The Five Doctors
    The Time Meddler
    Hide
    The Angels Take Manhatten
    Stolen Earth, Journey's End
    Army of Ghosts, Doomsday
    Evil of the Daleks
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the two-parters.
    Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel
    Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks
    The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky
    Aliens of London/World War 3
    The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood
    The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People

Then some single eps:
    Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
    The Beast Below (How the Moff can think that The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe is better than this is beyond me :D)
    And of course The Rings of Akhaten, I loved it.

I am firmly in the dislike camp when it comes to A Town Called Mercy.

P.S I also love the God Complex but I thought that was quite a popular episode?
    Forum Member
    The Beast Below (How the Moff can think that The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe is better than this is beyond me :D)

Sums it up perfectly :p
    I don't know anyone who could say that TDTWatW was a good episode. I've heard a few people say they enjoyed it despite it's issues, but I've heard nobody with the opinion that it was a good 'un :p
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sums it up perfectly :p
    I don't know anyone who could say that TDTWatW was a good episode. I've heard a few people say they enjoyed it despite it's issues, but I've heard nobody with the opinion that it was a good 'un :p

I've seen a few people on here give it a 10/10 so fair enough to them but I thought it was really dull, predictable, had a rubbish ending, wasn't half as emotional as it pretended to be and I couldn't stand Madge. Could. Not. Stand. Her. The only saving graces were the opening 15 minutes (loved the spaceship scene) and the end scene with Amy and Rory.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Rings of Marinus

Should, of course, be The Keys Of Marinus! :o
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I really like Revenge of the Cybermen. Really Peter Davison was the Doctor that I grew up with but thanks to my dad being able to get hold of some dodgy VHS copies of some Tom Baker episodes this was also one of the first stories that I grew up with so I will always have a soft spot for this story.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The War Machines [First Doctor]

The Ark [First Doctor]

The Krotons [Second Doctor]

Colony In Space [Third Doctor]

State of Decay [Fourth Doctor]

Black Orchid [Fifth Doctor]

Boom Town [Ninth Doctor]

Fear Her [Tenth Doctor]
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love The Beast Below, Vampires Of Venice, Gangers and Rings Of Akhaten. I can understand why people don't like Rings but it gets better upon each viewing and the singing during the speech was great.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four To Doomsday. It's considered to be average, but I love it. :)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »

City of Death (I find it boring and I cannot understand why some people think its one of the best doctor who stories)
    The daemons
    The Five Doctors
    The Time Meddler
    Stolen Earth, Journey's End
    Army of Ghosts, Doomsday
    Evil of the Daleks

I would disagree with you on the above stories as I think they are between them some of my favourite stories ever! :D

As for City Of Death, I know it's not popular with everyone. With me, it's the humour and sparkly dialogue that really makes the story but I guess if you're not into that the story would come across as dull.
    Pointy wrote: »
    Four To Doomsday. It's considered to be average, but I love it. :)

Forgot to add this to my earlier post but I agree that though this isn't the strongest of stories it always appeals to me watching it. I think it could do without the constant arguing between Tegan and Adric but aside from that I thought Stratford Johns made for an unconventional sort of villain and the plot though at times flimsy was at least devoid of the returning monster of the week that came later even though it was bogged down with numerous continuity references.

Oh, and loved the cricket ball sequence as well!!!!

:D
    Forum Member
    I've seen a few people on here give it a 10/10 so fair enough to them but I thought it was really dull, predictable, had a rubbish ending, wasn't half as emotional as it pretended to be and I couldn't stand Madge. Could. Not. Stand. Her. The only saving graces were the opening 15 minutes (loved the spaceship scene) and the end scene with Amy and Rory.

That spaceship scene was part of my problem with it all. At the end of the episode before (The Wedding of River Song) we had the Doctor telling Dorium that he'd gotten "too noisy". In the very next scene of Doctor Who that we're graced with on television, he's exploding spaceships above wartime Earth and somehow surviving a fall through the atmosphere.
    This episode had lost me from the very start, and come the complete waste of Bill Bailey and a disappointing story later I knew it had been bad. You have to worry when your favourite part of the episode was the epilogue with Amy and Rory. :p
  • sagrsagr Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I just watched the whole of Trial of a Time lord and I quite enjoyed it, particularly spotting the scenes in the Gladstone Pottery Museum. I didn't know it have been used as a location but I went there a few weeks ago and suddenly recognised it. Now I think about it, I guess that isn't too much of a positive review of the story really. :rolleyes: