Left or right - which are you?

2»

Comments

• Anthony_FreemanAnthony_Freeman Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I`m on the left/ centre left

Most on here seem to be in the centre ground or centre right ground despite them claiming to be left.
  • GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am, I think, leaning to the left but with some right undertones.

The thing is I do not really know the difference between right and left, all I know is I have gained my opinions, on my lifes experiences and on what I have witnessed around me.

All I know is there is not currently a political party, which I feel meets my needs and opinions. They are all way off the mark.

I'm curious as to what your needs and opinions are than no party meets?
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i havent a clue...
    ok, some of my opinions...am I left or right?
    (some are probably not practical, but its an idealised view)

1) all drugs should be legal for adults over 21..(including alcohol)
    2) Soliciting for prostition should be legal if not done 'cold' (again adult only of course), but very harsh penalties for forced prostitution.
    3) The rich should pay more tax.
    4) People should be able paint their houses whatever colour they want to.
    5) health and safety laws should be MORE rigorous
    6) Minors should not be punished as adults..(we dont say minors are able to make an informed choice about sex , so why crime?)
    7) Health care should be free to all
    8) Ideally I'd like a world goverment with no borders.
    9) complete freedom of speech(that doesnt mean freedom to abuse and insult) and TRUE democratic choice of leaders
    10) PR for elections.

I know many of you will disagree with some, but i dont want to argue..im just curious as to whever Im left or right.
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly conservative, and sometimes just a little right of center.
  • citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    i havent a clue...

1) all drugs should be legal for adults over 21..(including alcohol)
    2) Soliciting for prostition should be legal if not done 'cold' (again adult only of course), but very harsh penalties for forced prostitution.
    6) Minors should not be punished as adults..(we dont say minors are able to make an informed choice about sex , so why crime?)
    9) complete freedom of speech(that doesnt mean freedom to abuse and insult) and TRUE democratic choice of leaders
    10) PR for elections.

I know many of you will disagree with some, but i dont want to argue..im just curious as to whever Im left or right.

Thanks everyone for your replies, interesting to see that most people do not seem to see themselves as 'leaning' one way or another across the board.

The general feeling seems to be these are outdated concepts and are not reflected by politicians of any hue, they tend to opt more for a centrist (populist, bland, generic) approach.

I guess my general expectation was that we'd see some who were proudly and emphatically one way or the other. As that is not the case it does reinforce my view that splitting the government of our country on the basis of two opposing views (lets face it, they vary very little in the grand scheme of things) is outdated and far from democratic.

This type of government disenfranchises people who do not feel represented and that can be evidenced by voter turnout. This peaked in 1950 with 83.9% of those eligble to vote doing so (http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons/lib/research/rp2004/rp04-061.pdf). By the 2010 election, this had reduced to 65% by 2010 (although notably, this was slightly higher than 2005 which recorded a 61% turnout).

Clearly this thread is a small, self selected sample but i suspect it is indicative of the general feeling amongst the population. In spite of that, Politicians and Newspapers still try to divide opionion along left/right lines. Whilst i don't think this is a conspiracy i do think it remains within "their" interests to perpetuate the current system rather than consider/offer an alternative.

I'm of the opinion that party politics should be banned, MPs should be independent. This would encourage policy to be drafted and voted on based upon its merits (or lack thereof). I believe this would go some way to removing the "political class" - polticians and hacks who have had it their way for long enough. This ought to encourage more 'normal' people with a range of views and life experiences to win votes from the electorate.

Finally, I think WE - you and I - should be able to table legislation or demand full debates by raising a threshold of auditable votes online. Further, the actual legislation could be drafted by peer review - collaborative working before ultimately being put to Parliament.

Thoughts?
  • LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    I'm a leftie :)
  • Anthony_FreemanAnthony_Freeman Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Hotelier wrote: »
    i havent a clue...

1)all drugs should be legal for adults over 21..(including alcohol)
    10) PR for elections.

I would say you`re more to the left though I would like to pull you up on one thing

I`m a bit confused by your first choice regarding drugs and alcohol

You are aware that at the age of 18 a person legally reaches the age of majority and legally becomes an adult and has done since this age was lowered in 1970 so if you made drugs legal for adults they would be legal for those aged 18 or over

Or would you plan to raise the age back to pre 1970 age of 21??

Personally I don`t agree with making all drugs legal