Options

Madonna - Rebel Heart

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all 9 tracks so far, I haven't heard any of the leaks yet so I am really excited. I'm also glad that the UK super deluxe will feature Queen and Autotune Baby.
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the 19 track cover but I really like the colour one also. She hasn't looked this Monroe since the 90s!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your reasoning fell apart when you mention lack of hooks and then cited Gang Bang as your example. I can't think of anything more hookless and un-melodic than Gang Bang!

I think Gang Bang like most of MDNA was put together with the tour theme (guns, violence, divorce) in mind. I think this is why it didn't really jell as a Madonna album.

Rebel Heart however like most of Madonna's best is all about the music first. Going to be interesting seeing which songs from the 25 she uses on the tour and which one's she neglects.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I was a bit concerned about the extra 3 tracks after reading some of the posts but I'm pleasantly surprised. I love joan of arc and hold tight. Thought I wouldn't like iconic but it's not half bad
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Has Living For Love been getting any airplay yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    And will the video ever get played on any of the music channels!!!?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Gang Bang like most of MDNA was put together with the tour theme (guns, violence, divorce) in mind. I think this is why it didn't really jell as a Madonna album.

Rebel Heart however like most of Madonna's best is all about the music first. Going to be interesting seeing which songs from the 25 she uses on the tour and which one's she neglects.

Oh, wow! What a thought, how on earth will she come to a decision regarding her setlist?

Here's my idea:

SECTION ONE:
    "Rebellious"

Iconic (Part I)
    Express Yourself
    Give It To Me
    Music
    Holiday
    Rebel Heart
    Iconic (Part II)

Interlude: I Don't Give A Video Backdrop

SECTION TWO:
    "Troublesome"

Like a Virgin
    Material Girl
    Papa Don't Preach
    Unapologetic Bitch
    Bitch. I'm Madonna
    Joan of Arc

Interlude: Classics Medley Video featuring 5 snippets of her best songs.

SECTION THREE:
    "Heartfelt"

Hold Tight
    Inside Out
    Wash All Over Me
    Holy Water/SEX/Erotica Medley
    Take a Bow
    Ghosttown

Interlude: Body Shop reworking

SECTION FOUR:
    "Influential"

Hung Up
    Devil Pray
    Illuminati
    Frozen
    Messiah

(Dancers now perform for a few minutes to Veni Vedi Vici)

CLOSING SECTION:

Like A Prayer
    Living For Love
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope this album gets recognition by the grammys. That's how special and magnificant this album is. Maybe Best Pop Vocal album nomination? and she's well overdue for another brit award. I think she only has won that once and that was back during her Music era.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Oh, wow! What a thought, how on earth will she come to a decision regarding her setlist?

Here's my idea:

SECTION ONE:
    "Rebellious"

Iconic (Part I)
    Express Yourself
    Give It To Me
    Music
    Holiday
    Rebel Heart
    Iconic (Part II)

Interlude: I Don't Give A Video Backdrop

SECTION TWO:
    "Troublesome"

Like a Virgin
    Material Girl
    Papa Don't Preach
    Unapologetic Bitch
    Bitch. I'm Madonna
    Joan of Arc

Interlude: Classics Medley Video featuring 5 snippets of her best songs.

SECTION THREE:
    "Heartfelt"

Hold Tight
    Inside Out
    Wash All Over Me
    Holy Water/SEX/Erotica Medley
    Take a Bow
    Ghosttown

Interlude: Body Shop reworking

SECTION FOUR:
    "Influential"

Hung Up
    Devil Pray
    Illuminati
    Frozen
    Messiah

(Dancers now perform for a few minutes to Veni Vedi Vici)

CLOSING SECTION:

Like A Prayer
    Living For Love

As long as she leaves out Human Nature I'll be happ! The MDNA tour was very light on real hits,and due to bad promotion nobody really knew her new stuff. The whole show was a bit flat because of it. She needs to get the mix right this time.
  • Options
    PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this album gets recognition by the grammys. That's how special and magnificant this album is. Maybe Best Pop Vocal album nomination? and she's well overdue for another brit award. I think she only has won that once and that was back during her Music era.

Agreed. The three tracks released today are quite simply stunning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    As long as she leaves out Human Nature I'll be happ! The MDNA tour was very light on real hits,and due to bad promotion nobody really knew her new stuff. The whole show was a bit flat because of it. She needs to get the mix right this time.

Yes, sadly last era she inadvisedly used the tour as a means to promote her album. There were people next to me at Hyde Park talking about their fitted kitchen rather than watching the show!

I also think that you need to captivate the audience from the off which is why I suggested Iconic to start (a new song) followed by a few well known hits before then going back to the new stuff and Iconic and then a few more from Rebel Heart. Integrating new and old throughout like she did brilliantly with Reinvention and Confessions would be a good thing to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i often despair at how Madonna is, seemingly, deliberately ignored at awards ceremonies. I agree with you. It does deserve high recognition.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I've just heard Joan of Arc for the first time. Definitely the best of the bunch so far, it's just gorgeous. My first thoughts were if you removed the heavy drum beat it sounds very 'American Life'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spent all of last night listening to this album. As someone who has been a fan of Madonna since the Music era, I think some of her best work ever is on Rebel Heart. So far stand out tracks include

Living for Love
    Devil Pray
    Ghosttown
    Illuminati
    Hold Tight
    Joan of Arc
    Iconic
    HeartBreakCity
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Messiah
    Queen

I love the whole album though. It's a stunning and beautifully put together piece of work.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And will the video ever get played on any of the music channels!!!?

What music channels? Most so called music channels don't play videos anymore, just reality shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    What music channels? Most so called music channels don't play videos anymore, just reality shows.

Too true, Gigi.

The music channels are in such a pathetic state. I'm not sure why they're even kept around. In the age of Youtube it seems like a completely pointless waste of time and money as far as business ventures go.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    Too true, Gigi.

The music channels are in such a pathetic state. I'm not sure why they're even kept around. In the age of Youtube it seems like a completely pointless waste of time and money as far as business ventures go.

Well, I can sort of understand the decline in that people don't want to sit in front of the tv and watch video after video waiting for one by their favourite artist to come on. With youtube and social media platforms it's more convenient because you can just choose to watch the videos by the artist you like and not see ones by artists you don't. But I think the loss of a major outlet for videos has led to a decline in the art of videos. A lot of artists aren't that bothered with making interesting ones anymore.
    But I think music channels could still give their audience some music related content like for example documentaries about different musical artists. That might be more interesting than watching video after video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Well, I can sort of understand the decline in that people don't want to sit in front of the tv and watch video after video waiting for one by their favourite artist to come on. With youtube and social media platforms it's more convenient because you can just choose to watch the videos by the artist you like and not see ones by artists you don't. But I think the loss of a major outlet for videos has led to a decline in the art of videos. A lot of artists aren't that bothered with making interesting ones anymore.
    But I think music channels could still give their audience some music related content like for example documentaries about different musical artists. That might be more interesting than watching video after video.

You make good points, I agree with everything written here. Especially about the art of the music video becoming lost. I'm struggling to think of any truly creative videos made in the last few years.

I love documentaries about music so would really like to see more on TV. It would make more sense for so-called music channels to show those than programmes like The Hills. What caused MTV, for example, to lose their way so much in terms of sticking to their roots?
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Has Living For Love been getting any airplay yet?

Yes. Capital have had it on loop since it came out tbh. Can't think of any other 56 year old (let alone female) musician that would happen to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the Brits gives the song a boost for its release too. It could be a biggest hit for years fingers crossed. I'm still so proud Hold Tight topped the iTunes chart within 7 hours, even if it only stayed there for two hours she made it! so I think that's a sign Madonna has it in her to still generate a hit single.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the Brits gives the song a boost for its release too. It could be a biggest hit for years fingers crossed. I'm still so proud Hold Tight topped the iTunes chart within 7 hours, even if it only stayed there for two hours she made it! so I think that's a sign Madonna has it in her to still generate a hit single.

Getting a hit single these days doesn't really mean very much in reality. If no one released a record apart from Madonna and she sold 1000 and everyone else just sold 800 she would be number 1. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love it if she managed to be in the top 5 or even top 10, but the prestigious number 1 slot is often something achieved quickly and briefly because music is changing and the way music charts is changing. The very fact that people are waking up to the fact that Madonna is still making pretty damn good music after all these years is incredible and gives her the recognition and respect she deserves. I for one am more bothered about whether her album gets to number one or not. That is what I judge her current success on. Her status is unquestionable. I love her music so its irrelevant about what I think about her. It is her album that needs to get to the top of the charts. At the moment, it's only number 27 on iTunes through pre-orders. That isn't really that spectacular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting a hit single these days doesn't really mean very much in reality. If no one released a record apart from Madonna and she sold 1000 and everyone else just sold 800 she would be number 1. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love it if she managed to be in the top 5 or even top 10, but the prestigious number 1 slot is often something achieved quickly and briefly because music is changing and the way music charts is changing. The very fact that people are waking up to the fact that Madonna is still making pretty damn good music after all these years is incredible and gives her the recognition and respect she deserves. I for one am more bothered about whether her album gets to number one or not. That is what I judge her current success on. Her status is unquestionable. I love her music so its irrelevant about what I think about her. It is her album that needs to get to the top of the charts. At the moment, it's only number 27 on iTunes through pre-orders. That isn't really that spectacular.

I want her to go top 10, even top 5 because it will then mean she has had a top 10/top 5 hit in every decade since the 80s. I think Madonna needs that for her status and I'm sure Living For Love will manage it. :)

Number 1 would be nice but I'm not to sure that can happen unless the Brits performance really makes people rush out to buy the song.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i often despair at how Madonna is, seemingly, deliberately ignored at awards ceremonies. I agree with you. It does deserve high recognition.

That's because the grammys have their heads too far up Beyonce's ass to honor any other female.
  • Options
    PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is, getting a no 1 is symbolic of success and a "hit". No matter what the sales are , it still has that cache.

I do think L4L has a chance in the UK, where it has pretty much failed in the US, save some sort of miracle. For several reasons. One, it was never released as part of the original tracks for the pre release, The Brits performance and the single release coincide nicely and several radio stations have actually began to embrace Madonna again when she was abandoned for MDNA. Capital have A listed L4L, Radio 2 now have it on their playlist and a few others like heart.fm. Radio 1 refuse to come on board because of AGE.

So I do think L4L has a chance at top 5...if not no 1..we shall see.

Now if we were talking about Ghosttown, then I could see that storming the charts. I have yet to find anyone that does not like that song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, getting a no 1 is symbolic of success and a "hit". No matter what the sales are , it still has that cache.

I do think L4L has a chance in the UK, where it has pretty much failed in the US, save some sort of miracle. For several reasons. One, it was never released as part of the original tracks for the pre release, The Brits performance and the single release coincide nicely and several radio stations have actually began to embrace Madonna again when she was abandoned for MDNA. Capital have A listed L4L, Radio 2 now have it on their playlist and a few others like heart.fm. Radio 1 refuse to come on board because of AGE.

So I do think L4L has a chance at top 5...if not no 1..we shall see.

Now if we were talking about Ghosttown, then I could see that storming the charts. I have yet to find anyone that does not like that song.

How will changes to the UK Album Chart affect Madonna's chances of a UK number 1 album? The changes commence on March 1st.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/uk-official-albums-chart-to-include-streaming-data-for-first-time-3479/