UK Expats - what do you miss from home?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Yes, but
    We are eleven hours ahead of the UK.So I'd have to stay awake all night to listen.:)
  • Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brasilians and their black beans...bloody hell...they need it with EVERYTHING, don't they? But my friends need the UK-style tomatoey pale beans. Heinz. Always Heinz.

Heinz are American. Can't they get them on the internet, or from someone in America?
    Why don't they set up a small business buying and selling Heinz beans to similar dispossesed people in South America?
    Have they tried making their own baked beans? It's really easy and they taste just like (or better than) the tinned kind.

This.
    It's why slow cookers were invented.

I must say that, on my extensive travels around the world, I missed nothing from Britain, not even mature cheddar cheese. I found it fascinating adopting to the local cuisine and lifestyle. Travel is supposed to broaden the mind.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    That reminds me! I really do miss proper Scotch pies fresh from the bakers Can't get them in England or not that I have seen anyway
    Love those pies:):):)

You can get them in the north east. Not square slice though :(
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    My Aunt and Uncle live on a little Greek island, so most 'British' food has to be brought to them by visiting relatives or they stock up when they go to the larger islands or Mainland.

The main thing they miss are food related: Cadbury's, Tetley's or PG, 'proper' bacon and sausages, Paxo stuffing, peanut butter.

But they do say the meats, fruit and veg and coffee are all better out there and the ingredients are often more organic.

They thought they would miss the British sense of humour but have fund that Greeks have a very similar sense of humour, they have a very dry and sarcastic humour.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I miss:

Take-aways
    Chocolate (cadburys)
    Decent customer service (trust me - it's pretty good compared to here...!)
    Clearly marked speed humps :-x
    Ability to buy booze when I want to!
    Cheap and on-offer groceries (and choice in general!)
    Lamb

There is a lot more than I don't miss however.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heinz are American. Can't they get them on the internet, or from someone in America?
    Why don't they set up a small business buying and selling Heinz beans to similar dispossesed people in South America?

This.
    It's why slow cookers were invented.

I must say that, on my extensive travels around the world, I missed nothing from Britain, not even mature cheddar cheese. I found it fascinating adopting to the local cuisine and lifestyle. Travel is supposed to broaden the mind.
    Oh please. Just because someone misses something from home, it doesn't make someone ignorant or small-minded towards the culture they are living in. Lighten up, for goodness' sake!
  • Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh please. Just because someone misses something from home, it doesn't make someone ignorant or small-minded towards the culture they are living in. Lighten up, for goodness' sake!

I am very light thank you. It seems from what you've written here that your friends tend not to be i.e. want things from home, don't want to cook etc.

A friend of mine lives in rural France. He's intergrated very well, despite the local ex-pats wanting him to "get on their side".

Why can't your friends get a slow cooker to try and recreate baked beans? They might well enjoy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very light thank you. It seems from what you've written here that your friends tend not to be i.e. want things from home, don't want to cook etc.

A friend of mine lives in rural France. He's intergrated very well, despite the local ex-pats wanting him to "get on their side".

Why can't your friends get a slow cooker to try and recreate baked beans? They might well enjoy it.
    My best friend is Brasilian, one half of the couple who loves baked beans, so in what way do you think this means she doesn't integrate with people of her own culture? She moved back to Brasil BECAUSE she prefers her own culture, and her English husband loves the life out here too. You are reading way too far into people's love for a few British (or American!) food items.

Calma, é uma lata de feijos! (in my bad Portuguese: 'calm down, it's a tin of beans!')
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member

Absolutely! Every time this kind of thing is posted on forums there is always some superior being who pops up to point out they miss nothing from home and are happily integrated in their new country.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I missed loads of food when i lived in Italy. Savoury pies, decent flavoured crisps, decent beer, sauces, the list goes on.

Also Chinese/Indian restaurants were very poor out there. Italians do italian great, but suck balls at any other food type.

They did have some very cool bars, but nothing to compare to a proper britsh pub.

I also missed British hairdressers. Getting a haircut in italy for a man is what i imagine its like for a woman here. You're in there for fricking ages, they wash the hair, give you a scalp massage, spent ages styling it. I just want in, quick cut, and out!
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Absolutely! Every time this kind of thing is posted on forums there is always some superior being who pops up to point out they miss nothing from home and are happily integrated in their new country.

and then one has to ask, why there a frequenting a UK forum when they are so content in their new home...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Sounds so exciting! Good luck :)
    Obrigada!
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Loving this thread Victoria. Our mortgage will be paid off in 2017 and we are planning o selling our house and moving abroad. Himself fancies France and I will just follow. We are giving ourselves lots of time to thoroughly research the housing, taxes etc, healthcare, etc etc. We are planning on going over later in the year for a holiday and to start viewing houses to see what is available and for what price. Good luck for your new life. Sounds exciting. :)
    Obrigada granny!

And your plans also sound very exciting. Go for it. Life is for living and enjoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Obrigada!

Obrigada granny!

And your plans also sound very exciting. Go for it. Life is for living and enjoying.

Thank you. :)
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    and then one has to ask, why there a frequenting a UK forum when they are so content in their new home...

one has to ask why, if one leaves the UK, one must refrain from visiting any UK-based websites???

:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pubs. In spite of "English pubs" over here they just can't get it right.

I miss Spring. There really is no Spring here in Ontario and what few days we might get are muddy, grey and ugly.

I miss friendly people. If you try to strike up a conversation with a stranger here they think you're mad.

I miss the dawn chorus.

I miss fish and chip shops.

What I miss least is the banking system in the UK!

I presumed that the dawn chorus happened everywhere !?