Been asked to audition for X Factor.....

WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
Forum Member
✭✭
Was performing in a bar in Glasgow tonight (only my 3rd show) and just did a group of covers - Hero (Enrique Iglesias), Perfect (P!NK), I Was Here (Beyonce), Lego House (Ed Sheeran) and I Wont Give Up (Jason Mraz) and was approached by someone at the end of the performance and asked if I would be interested in auditioning, and has given me contact details and have been told to phone when I have made my mind up. He told me as deals haven't been announced he cannot give me out the application forms yet - I have no idea what bloody deals he is talking about, anyone have any clue? - and said he would be back in touch at a later date. He also took a list of my gigs over the next few months.

Now, I thought this was an absolute piss take, but reading up online about it since I got back, apparently people are asked to audition? Still, it seems kinda 'off'.

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    would be a little bit careful until they can prove they are who they say they are but sounds like you already are aware of this

if it is genuine then good luck , i'm sure we will be "gentle" with you if you do make it to the tv part of the show ;):p
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    would be a little bit careful until they can prove they are who they say they are but sounds like you already are aware of this

if it is genuine then good luck , i'm sure we will be "gentle" with you if you do make it to the tv part of the show ;):p

I have auditioned before, and got past the producer rounds and made it to the judges, but I got too nervous and I didn't turn up for the judges audition. That's why I have been doing gigs this year, so I could pick up a bit more confidence, and then audition next year. But yeah, Im a little unsure of this bloke, so we will just see what happens!
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Sounds a bit odd to me - surely every single member of the production team would be concentrating on the current series, and in particular the live shows? Seems very weird.

Ask him to give you a Thames, Fremantle or Syco address. That won't be hard.
  • abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably have music scouts checking people out at all times.
    To the OP good luck but beware, others have been asked to apply only to be chewed out and spat out when no longer needed. Re melanie and joeseph
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be very aware.
    If you decide to do it(if it is really a talent scout and not somebody daydreaming that they are) you be signing to do what ever Simon or who ever working on his behalf .or lest that is what I heard
    It maybe that he will edit you anyway he wants to, make you sing what ever he wants you to(given chosse of songs that may not be what will best for you) and if he drops you maybe you still belong to ''Simon'' until the contract says ok you now can perform where you like etc.
  • BodyElectric.BodyElectric. Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was performing in a bar in Glasgow tonight (only my 3rd show) and just did a group of covers - Hero (Enrique Iglesias), Perfect (P!NK), I Was Here (Beyonce), Lego House (Ed Sheeran) and I Wont Give Up (Jason Mraz) and was approached by someone at the end of the performance and asked if I would be interested in auditioning, and has given me contact details and have been told to phone when I have made my mind up. He told me as deals haven't been announced he cannot give me out the application forms yet - I have no idea what bloody deals he is talking about, anyone have any clue? - and said he would be back in touch at a later date. He also took a list of my gigs over the next few months.

Now, I thought this was an absolute piss take, but reading up online about it since I got back, apparently people are asked to audition? Still, it seems kinda 'off'.

You keep mentioning you sing etc. We have never heard any of your stuff? What's your YouTube page? :confused:
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Maybe you'll be next year's chosen one? ;)
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you on Soundcloud as it would be nice to hear some of your material then?
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've a suspicion that most live show finalists are scouted by the show and don't really "audition" at all. They're spotted performing at gigs or on Youtube and approached by the producers....this has probably been going on for many years.

There's no doubt some arrangement too where agents and managers put forward acts to compete. One wonders if it is possible for any act to walk in off the street and get on the live shows these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as above - be cautious about this and think about what you really want to do long term. my wife's friend considered auditioning several times but was talked out of it by a family friend who used to manage a british pop group. he said don't do it, they'll chew you up and spit you out.

I'd be very interested to know how many finalists over the last 5 years were 'invited to audition'. I don't have a problem with that but at least the voice is upfront about it. xfactor run with the mum of 3 who sings in the bath who later turns out to be a pro on the cruise ship circuit or painter and decorator who sings on the job but turns out to be gigging with a band
  • Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I've a suspicion that most live show finalists are scouted by the show and don't really "audition" at all. They're spotted performing at gigs or on Youtube and approached by the producers....this has probably been going on for many years.

There's no doubt some arrangement too where agents and managers put forward acts to compete. One wonders if it is possible for any act to walk in off the street and get on the live shows these days.

There's too much at stake to leave contestant choices down purely to chance. No doubt many are scouted before hand.

As for the OP, it's impossible to give you advice as there's simply no way of us knowing exactly how your X-Factor experience might turn out. But I guess if you understand the risks going in, you'll be better prepared overall. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I read an article where XF said they do scout people and dont hide that as they want to offer the best talent they can get. So wouldn't surprise me if it was true.
    Good luck if you do decide to go for it.
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are only a few locations where you would be interviewed/auditioned if this is a legit oportunity, and you will know by the companies/names associated with it.(And it won't be directly the show. That isn't how it works.There are management /agency places, some associated with schools,small labels,bookers and such, who scout, for instance)) Any hedging or secrecy when asked to provide this info should be seen as the biggest,reddest flag in the universe.

People are fast tracked to the final selection process,usually from somewhat experienced performers, so it might be a real offer.Usually, though, potential acts contact them, not the other way around( and that has no bearing on how good an act may be.)

Proceed with caution. If you want to do it for a laugh or to gain a bit of exposure, go for it. If you are serious about a career in music, think twice, think again, and be very,very certain of the T&C of any offers made.

If real, prepare a few 30 second to minute and a half arrangements of songs, no backing vox, preferably acoustic, but acapella is better than overproduced backing trax,because that's what they will want .Usually, such interviews happen at the start of the next year, but that may have changed in the last year or so.

Good luck! :)
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are bound to be skeptical, but at the end of the day, while you may not have entire control; The X Factor can take you places. You could have a hugely successful career, many have proved that. It's right to say be careful, but if you're wanting a chart topping career, then go for it. However, if you're not the typical X Factor contestant, then maybe it's not the route for you. Once an artist has been on The X Factor, I think it's incredibly hard for them to form a substantial career unless they've came fourth at the very minimum. If you fail then you'll forever be known as the 'x factor reject', no one will want to sign that. Give it some thought, but you've obviously got something to be scouted. Just think... are you what Simon whats? If not, then you probably won't get very far, if you are, then the ball is in your court. I know it sounds awful having it come down to Cowell, but that's the reality of the matter. If you're good looking, commercial and have a good voice then go for it, and I wish you all success :)
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling i may know who you are, but i wont say as it would'nt be right.
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more quick bit of advice: A fast way to find out if you're wasting your time-Google the phone number / name you were given. There is no big secret about things connected to this kind of offer.If anything, they all want to promote promote promote, so any recognizable connections will be listed and easily found.

If it's legit, you'll find these things.
  • bananaa_bobbananaa_bob Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EddyEagal wrote: »
    People are bound to be skeptical, but at the end of the day, while you may not have entire control; The X Factor can take you places. You could have a hugely successful career, many have proved that. It's right to say be careful, but if you're wanting a chart topping career, then go for it. However, if you're not the typical X Factor contestant, then maybe it's not the route for you. Once an artist has been on The X Factor, I think it's incredibly hard for them to form a substantial career unless they've came fourth at the very minimum. If you fail then you'll forever be known as the 'x factor reject', no one will want to sign that. Give it some thought, but you've obviously got something to be scouted. Just think... are you what Simon whats? If not, then you probably won't get very far, if you are, then the ball is in your court. I know it sounds awful having it come down to Cowell, but that's the reality of the matter. If you're good looking, commercial and have a good voice then go for it, and I wish you all success :)

You make some good points but it says a lot for the programme when a person gets scouted on the strength of singing 5 cheesy pop covers. personally i'd rather go down the road of being an original artist & earn respect the old fashioned way rather than become a karaoke puppet craving instant fame through a trashy talent show, it seems so many these days think that this is the only way to success & rejection by this programme is taken as failure, how many up & coming artists have been destroyed by X Factor rejection? I'd rather listen to a artist singing in a corner of the pub singing his own material than listen to the final 12 on
    X Factor singing karaoke versions of someone else's songs,music should be a way of expressing yourself & long lasting not just instant chart success.
  • Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be wary. No-one who enters thinks they're going to be made into a mug but in fact most are - it's only a very few who come out of it well.

The judges opinions, right or wrong, are what people will remember of you. Of course you might win or become one of the favoured, but are you prepared to bow the knee and kiss the bum and do all the other stuff you have to do when you take the Cowell shilling?

Remember Melanie McCabe and Joseph and Paul A and Miss Dynamix and Lorna, never mind past series.

It's easy to forget the machinations and the way they use people. They throw the stardust in your face and suddenly you get blinded by the thought that you're going to be rich and famous.

It's a bit like the lottery adverts. It could be you. But it probably won't be.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have any links of you singing or anything?

If I'm not a fan then I'll tell people you were a Gina fan, beware!!!
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Love how pretty much every reply is warning about Cowell and X Factor screwing you over than this guy being fake :p Says a lot about the show and is really bad :o
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This might sound rude but are you actually a good singer?

I'd hate to think they were toying you for some meat for us forum vultures to rip into.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you phone and he asks you round to his place for a 'private' audition, don't go
  • indenileindenile Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, presumably you know some professionals in the business. Perhaps their advice would be more helpful?
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good luck
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Only one thing to add, I think the "deals not announced' thing might refer to the rumored 3-year renewal that was reported a couple days ago. Good to be cautious though.