Which networks offer Visual Voicemail on iPhone?

nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I lived in France until a couple of years ago & over the years upgraded my iPhone on Orange as new models came out. It was quite a shock when I came back to the UK & signed up with Three to discover that they don't offer the lovely Visual Voicemail that I had assumed was the default Apple way of handling voice message on the iPhone. As an alternative I have been using the app Hullomail which is OK as far as it goes but seems to be getting increasingly erratic e.g. intercepting calls & sending straight to voicemail instead of dining & I also cannot figure out how to change the email address that messages get forwarded to. My contract is up soon & while unlimited data is nice as I now don't travel that much tethering isn't so important to me that I am considering changing provider. I would prefer to have Visual Voicemail but am not inclined to sign up with O2 who I know offer it. Do any of the other networks offer Visual Voicemail?

Comments

• AdamukAdamuk Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    EE offer it too.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE certainly offer made my life so much easier. I understand exactly what you mean iOS Visual Voicemail is far better than having to ring up to listen to them. I couldn't go back to not using Visual Voicemail.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's expensive for a network to implement Apple's Visual Voicemail service, and given the trend away from people actually making phone calls, let alone using voicemail, there's not much demand for it in the UK.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I missed Visual Voicemail when I left O2.

However there is an app, called Hullomail that, in it's basic form, offers the same feature.

If you pay you get additional whizzy features, such as a transcript emailed to you.
  • joelukenjoeluken Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    nigelbb wrote: »
    I lived in France until a couple of years ago & over the years upgraded my iPhone on Orange as new models came out. It was quite a shock when I came back to the UK & signed up with Three to discover that they don't offer the lovely Visual Voicemail

I use a free iOS app called Libon published by Orange S.A. because I didn't get along with Hullomail.

I would prefer it if the integrated Apple solution was supported but this was the next best thing for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    It's expensive for a network to implement Apple's Visual Voicemail service, and given the trend away from people actually making phone calls, let alone using voicemail, there's not much demand for it in the UK.

Not sure if it's expensive but I know it's certainly requires a lot of core work to get working. I was surprised Vodafone never implemented it to be honest it was nice that EE took the effort to get it implemented. If I remember correctly only reason O2 did because it was required to when iPhone was exclusive to them.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    That is correct.
    Course there are pitfalls.
    It doesn't work on WC if there's no 3G as well.
    God, there's always something isn't there.
    I wonder if one day everything will just work?
    :)
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    And Tesco Mobile refuse to support it :cry:
  • DingerDinger Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this Hope it's useful?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Not sure if it's expensive but I know it's certainly requires a lot of core work to get working. I was surprised Vodafone never implemented it to be honest it was nice that EE took the effort to get it implemented. If I remember correctly only reason O2 did because it was required to when iPhone was exclusive to them.

I think Orange did it (why EE now offers it) but used to charge for it as an add-on, whereas with O2 it was included if you had an iPhone plan, but any other plan (e.g. simplicity) you lost it. So it was obviously a premium feature.

EE supplies it to everyone on an EE plan (not those on legacy Orange or T-mobile plans).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    I think Orange did it (why EE now offers it) but used to charge for it as an add-on, whereas with O2 it was included if you had an iPhone plan, but any other plan (e.g. simplicity) you lost it. So it was obviously a premium feature.

EE supplies it to everyone on an EE plan (not those on legacy Orange or T-mobile plans).

Orange didn't do it. EE got it working just after 4G launched on there network. High price orange contracts think it was 36+ got iPhone visual voicemail included free as well.

O2 originally included it on all iPhone contracts it was required by Apple for them to do that. Apple wanted to revolutionise Voicemail and they did but it didn't hit off sadly.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dinger wrote: »
    Found this Hope it's useful?
    Very interesting as the official Apple statement of support not just for Visual Voicemail but other features like LTE.
  • voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Very interesting as the official Apple statement of support not just for Visual Voicemail but other features like LTE.

I think these are networks Apple has 'certified' to work on LTE - there's a separate list here. I think Apple used to require this before iPhones could use the LTE network (I remember there was some discussion about iPhone 5 compatibility with 3's LTE network when the network launched). However Apple's list implies this isn't the case anymore ("Many more carriers may also offer LTE on iPhone.").
  • Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HulloMail is much more powerful. It works through WiFi too.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    HulloMail is much more powerful. It works through WiFi too.
    As I already stated several times the problem that I have with HulloMail is that about 80% of the time calls go direct to voicemail even when I have a good signal. It's particularly irritating when I am waiting for a call back from someone & have the phone in my hand so I know that it didn't ring but it still goes straight to HulloMail.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I missed Visual Voicemail when I left O2.

However there is an app, called Hullomail that, in it's basic form, offers the same feature.

If you pay you get additional whizzy features, such as a transcript emailed to you.

Read the op again.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I already stated several times the problem that I have with HulloMail is that about 80% of the time calls go direct to voicemail even when I have a good signal. It's particularly irritating when I am waiting for a call back from someone & have the phone in my hand so I know that it didn't ring but it still goes straight to HulloMail.

That shouldn't be the case as there isn't any difference in the way the call is diverted when you use your network's voicemail vs when you use Hullomail (or any similar service).