Options

The Best and the Worst ready meals you have ever had

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
Forum Member
✭✭
I do love food, and though nothing beats home cooking or a good restaurant meal, I do rely on a lot of ready meals for the sake of convenience.

I would like you to all recommend/warn me against the best/worst ready meals you have ever had, to help me with my ready meal diet.

I'll talk about mine first though. The best one I have had is the frozen chicken madras and pilau rice from Asda. For value, taste and fat content this is my fave all-rounder. The rice is so fragrant and tasty and the chicken is spicy and delicious. I drain off about 5g of oil which brings the total to about 15g fat, which ain't too bad. And it's dirt cheap too, less than £1.50 if I remember.

The worst one was the Tesco Light Choices chilled macaroni cheese. Bland as hell, I took one mouthfull and chucked it away.

Comments

• Options
    Beer MonsterBeer Monster Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best: Thai Green curry from LIDL

Worst: Sweet n Sour chicken from Iceland
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had one and never will.
  • Options
    MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Best:

Duck with noodles in hoi sin sauce or orkney crab linguine from M&S.

Worst:

Parctically anything from Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainburys etc - all salt, sugar and preservatives and no flavour.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived 4 weeks without a cooker recently so became a bit of a ready meal expert

Best: Waitrose paprika chicken with cubed garlic potatoes
    Worst: Morrisons 'healthy option' duck with noodles. It was inedible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Best: Weight watchers mushroom and broccoli potato wedge melt
    Worst: Asda's curry and chips - YUCK
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tescos old healthy living chicken and pasta bake was lovely. The new thing they have replaced it with is awful.

worst one ive ever had was another tescos healthy living cottage pie, ive never seen so many tubes eugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best - still racking my brains.

Worst - cheapo Sainsbury's Chinese takeaway box containing revolting luminous red jam-like goo with chewy unidentifiable balls in it, soggy/oily 'veg' spring roll and rice that was like grit.

Bleurgh!!!
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst; Well I don't think much of any of the ones that you heat up, i'm with orangebathwater on that.

Best; I don't know if it counts but the trays of sushi from M&S are bloody lovely!

Life is definitely too short to fart about making different types of sushi.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst; Well I don't think much of any of the ones that you heat up, i'm with orangebathwater on that.

Best; I don't know if it counts but the trays of sushi from M&S are bloody lovely!

Life is definitely too short to fart about making different types of sushi.:p

Why Thanky :D

You can make your own and freeze them up, much better.

Agree with you about sushi, but there is a great Japanse place at the end of our street for that. If really lazy they deliver. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    sezegg wrote: »
    tescos old healthy living chicken and pasta bake was lovely. The new thing they have replaced it with is awful.

worst one ive ever had was another tescos healthy living cottage pie, ive never seen so many tubes eugh.

~Heaving online..........The chicken healthy eating one is bearable, less likely to get tubes and other horrors, but I doubt the chicken is all breast meat, rather minced and then bleached to look like the best bits.

Worst was some burgers, supposed to be 100% beef, but they sprouted growth like things when they were cooked, I nearly fainted into the grill.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Best: Waitrose Salmon & Prawn Tagliatelle

Worst: A Lancashire Hotpot, can't remember where from, but the 'meat' was all gristle.
  • Options
    damocdamoc Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Best:Chicken Tikka Masala (M&S)

Worst:Chicken Tikka Masala (Morrisons)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best= Birdseye Chicken Curry

Worst= Rustlers Burger(why i even picked it up i'll never know)

AJxx
  • Options
    Raspberri TwistRaspberri Twist Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I don't have a favourite ready meal but I do have quite a few that I like and buy regularly. Mostly from M&S.

I think the worst I ever had was a low fat lasagne that was tasteless and had a horrible watery consistency. No idea where I got it though.
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,603
    Forum Member
    Best: M&S Organic Chicken Casserole. Mind you, it does cost £4.09.

Worst: Anything containing Quorn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best: Bighams Individual Shepherds Pies from Waitrose - gorgeous tasty ragu topped with crushed potatoes in individual pottery ramekins to keep and use again. Costs more than a shepherd's annual salary.

Worst: Roast Lamb Dinner from Iceland - unspeakably nasty. It was made for me with the best of intentions and I had to pretend to enjoy it, a great feat of acting that I think I just about managed to pull off before I had to go to the toilet and bring it back up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I've thought of a Best: Bombay Brasserie meal for 1 at £4.99 from Sainsbo's

Bevheth - I think I've had that Roast Dinner too! It was indeed horrid. I swear if I'd put a strip of the cardboard packaging picture side down in the gravy it would have been hard to distinguish from the meat.

Another worst from me: I can't remember which less-than-supermarket it was from, but it was a great big puffy pastry steak and ale pie which, when you cut into it, was all puff (ie steam) and a thin greyish-brown gruelly layer of slop at the very bottom.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best: Birds Eye Chicken Curry.

Worst: It's between the Sainsbury's Chicken Curry which gave me stomach ache, or the tight fisted Cooks Pie and Mash.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Spar frozen curries, they are really bad, the chicken one i got for me lunch one day, didnt have any chicken in it all
  • Options
    QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a big fan of Ready meals athough Lasagne is always pretty edible.

Best: Chinese Stlye Beef Curry from Farmfoods (Can't remember the manufacturer) Almost as good as the local takeaway.

Worst: Some Healthy Options Low Fat Rice & Chicken Curry. It's some sort of joint venture between Iceland Bird's Eye and was awful but their Healthy options deserts are lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another worst from me:

Budgens Thai green curry (not sure if it was own brand).

It looked like last night's left over washing up water and tasted of soap, and not in a good way.
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best: Icelands beef madras, at £1.50. [it's one of my greatest finds]
    Worst: Anything with pressed chicken in it. [enough to put you off food for life]
  • Options
    weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst - mostly every one I've tried...particularly anything claiming to contain meat.

Best - I'm struggling but probably those fresh Asda curries which are not all terrible and can be improved with a little fresh coriander.
  • Options
    ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best: Thai Green curry from LIDL

Worst: Sweet n Sour chicken from Iceland

I agree about the Thai green curry from Lidl, it's delicious and sometimes on special offer down to £1.39. The red one isn't so great, but the various Indian ones are nice too.

Worst I think was some tuna pasta bake thing from Tesco - watery, bland and just plain nasty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Best: Linda McCartney lasagne or (although I don't eat fish anymore) any fish pie made by Youngs. They're huge, cheap and yummy!

Worst: (Does this count) Heinz Vegetarian Ravioli (in a can). MINGING!!