Do you grieve over a pet?

CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
Forum Member
✭✭
Today my little grey cat was tragically killed by a car and I am honestly heartbroken, however my emotional retarded other half shows no sign of emotion and thinks im allien to display such signs of grief for an "animal" :eek: My children were visibly deverstated and even then he showed little understanding.

I honestly can not understand his lack of emotion to such a tragic event.

Hes made me so bloody mad im sleeping on the sofa! How can he be so coldhearted!! Yes I am in domestic emotion overload but it's the princible!!! :mad::o:cry::(

Do you or would you grieve over a pet?

Comments

• rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I have done in the past. You build a relationship with them because you care for them, so it is only natural to feel some remorse.
  • monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Today my little grey cat was tragically killed by a car and I am honestly heartbroken, however my emotional retarded other half shows no sign of emotion and thinks im allien to display such signs of grief for an "animal" :eek: My children were visibly deverstated and even then he showed little understanding.

Hes made me so bloody mad im sleeping on the sofa! How can he be so coldhearted!! Yes I am in domestic emotion overload but it's the princible!!! :mad::o:cry::(

I am sincerely very sorry for your loss and the way it happened. Your grief is entirely natural. Take care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    yeah course. i had a cat die suddenly 2 years ago, woke up and he was dead on the stairs with blood on his mouth. cried my eyes out all day, picking him up and putting him in a box was one of the hardest things ive done...
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my dog when I was 5. I picked her out of the litter and named her. She had to be put down a month after I left home when I was 19...Was very sad.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monkino wrote: »
    I am sincerely very sorry for your loss and the way it happened. Your grief is entirely natural. Take care.

Thank you
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm devastated when my pets die. It's a horrible time :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear that.

I understand it. I had a cat. She came from a Farm. I don't know if that was why she was the way she was. But everyone loved her, even people who didn't normally like cats. She never killed anything, too soft. She once caught a butterfly and even that got away. At 16 she died of cancer. She was my best friend through all the good times and bad. I still sometimes have dreams about her.

She died in 2001. Never got another one. I couldn't. She was a one off. People who say an animal is just an animal are just ignorant.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Yes, I do. Rightly or wrongly, we build up emotional attachments to them, and losing them is to me second only to losing a family member, from a personal point of view.

I'm sorry for your loss.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A dog of mine died in 2006, i grew up with her, she was old (17) but when she died of old age i was truly heartbroken.

It took me months to get over it, i have her ashes in a little wooden box with her name on (Maisy) - I say 'morning Maisy' and 'night night Maisy' every day to her ashes/box :o

I know some people think it's crazy, but oh well, i loved that dog so much and i'll never forget her.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course.

My last cat I had since I was 5, she died when I was 21. She had been in my family as long as I could remember almost and I was so incredibly sad.

Your grief is entirely natural, it will pass and you will just remember the lovely times you had with your little cat.

Take care. I am sorry for your loss.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've buried too many pets, especially in the last two years. Each one is hard to do, and long grieved-over.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You cant understand his lack of emotion and he cant understand why you are heartbroken. People are just different, neither is right or wrong.

And yes, I still miss my dog a lot, 12 years on. Because to me she was part of the family. So I understand your grief. But I also understand not everyone feels the same way.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely.

First of all, very sorry for the loss of your cat :cry:

When my cat was run over and killed, I was absolutely gutted. For the first few days afterwards, I actually burst into tears every time I pulled into the driveway and he wasn't sleeping in his usual spot. It took me ages to get over it. Some people thought I was pathetic, but to me he was part of the family .... obviously not quite on a par with the children, but the very next level down!
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had other animals die and have always had an emotional response to their passing but honestly my other half must have a heart of stone he really feels that I am over emotional crying over an animal. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

First of all, very sorry for the loss of your cat :cry:

When my cat was run over and killed, I was absolutely gutted. For the first few days afterwards, I actually burst into tears every time I pulled into the driveway and he wasn't sleeping in his usual spot. It took me ages to get over it. Some people thought I was pathetic, but to me he was part of the family .... obviously not quite on a par with the children, but the very next level down!

Not remotely pathetic, you are just human and lost a family member.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a song for the cat-shaped hole in your heart.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monkino wrote: »
    Not remotely pathetic, you are just human and lost a family member.

Thank you.

That is exactly how I see my pets, they are part of the family. To be honest, I like them more than I like most people!
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your cat, OP.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with grieving for a pet. I was absolutely devastated when my dog got put down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    i hope im not speaking out of turn or nothing but even if your husband feels nothing about the cat, if he cant even at least acknowledge that you and the kids ARE upset and try to be supportive for you guys then hes acting like a bit of a cock
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Yes, deeply and bitterly. :(
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Thank you.

That is exactly how I see my pets, they are part of the family. To be honest, I like them more than I like most people!

True. My mum's got three dogs and I absolutely adore them. I love them to bits. They're like a ray of sunshine.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    A dog of mine died in 2006, i grew up with her, she was old (17) but when she died of old age i was truly heartbroken.

It took me months to get over it, i have her ashes in a little wooden box with her name on (Maisy) - I say 'morning Maisy' and 'night night Maisy' every day to her ashes/box :o

I know some people think it's crazy, but oh well, i loved that dog so much and i'll never forget her.

Awww, HJ, that is a lovely, touching post. :)
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's perfectly natural to grieve for a pet, if you formed a bond with it. It can be similar to the death of a family member.
    Your OH maybe just didn't form a bond like yourself or the children did - though it's kinda surprising that the children's distress didn't affect him.

My last dog lived a long (for a Labrador) and healthy life - but it was still upsetting when he died - even now, 7yrs later, I'm still a little sad when I think about it.
    And I'm expecting things to be even worse with my current dog - I packed in working shortly before we got him, and he's been around me all day, nearly every day for 6 yrs so far (and hopefully another 8 or more) - he's like my shadow.
  • greendayfan6greendayfan6 Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes you can grieve more for a non-human companion that you would do even over a relative. It's very normal because with a non-human companion normally you would have a very close physical and emotional relationship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you.

You are welcome, and yes I prefer animals to people too. They are innocent and they depend upon you for everything. They give unconditional love, and you never really realise the support they give you until they are gone. I am probably quite tough on people in general, but I think those people who are able to love animals are quite special people indeed.