Virus in my Mac this morning

2»

Comments

• jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which means you get much better hardware, and better performance, than you get inside an apple, for cheaper!

Do we have to wait for the punchline.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    indeed, the windows business is essentially to get it installed on as many system as possible - limiting it would be crazy.

apples business is slightly different, they created OSX to run on their systems and don't sell OSX as product to anyone else. their business model is not to get OSX running on as many systems at possible, but as a tool to sell their hardware.

I fail to see how that relates to the post you quoted.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I fail to see how that relates to the post you quoted.

that's your problem, not mine.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a Mac, not a PC. A Windows partition does not count as it's still running on Apple hardware :p

How loud do I have to keep shouting it.
    tries to find a brick wall ro bang head against.
    You have a Pc.
    A mac is a pc
    Google pc.
    Wiki pc.
    All = Personal computer.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    it's all in the differences of the license you agree to.

I never read those. I just can't be arsed to.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe you can install the apple OS on normal PC hardware, which means you get much better hardware, and better performance, than you get inside an apple, for cheaper! :D 'Hackintosh' or something...

Not quite. You're limited to hardware that is compatible with OSX unless you enjoy the sado-masochistic exercise of messing around with drivers and coding to make something work for five minutes. So you're more likely to get equal performance for less money but then you have to factor in the time it can take to get even compatible hardware up and running...

I've had a few Hackintosh machines on the go. It can be a real faff sometimes.
    wavy-davy wrote: »

I wouldn't wish McAfee on my worst enemy...
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take childish delight in the fact that cnbcwatcher's thread has gone so massively off-topic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's your problem, not mine.

So it doesn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

McAfee's antivirus, in my opinion, is best suited for the goody two-shoes internet users.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    So it doesn't.

if you can't read the thread and keep up with what is being said then that is your issue.

whether you can follow it is of no concern to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    The only major difference between your Mac and a modern PC is the UEFI/Bios.

Internal they are almost identical, so whether you like it or not, you have a PC made by Apple and called a Mac. Same hard discs, same memory, same processors.

As for running OSX on a standard PC as a Hackintosh, it isn't actually illegal but it is strictly against Apple's terms and conditions. You also have the issue of compatible hardware, Apple only supports a limited subset of available hardware, so you'd need to ensure as far as possible, you bought the same parts used by Apple.

If you try and set up a commercial operation selling Hackintosh computers Apple will go after you in civil courts, using trademerk and copyright laws though.

In terms of viruses I haven't actually seen one for years, on any OS. Pretty much every nasty these days seems to be malware, trying to nick your passwords, credit card details or hold you to ransom rather than older style traditional viruses.

Windows still dominates, so of course Windows is still the target for the majority of malware. If you are writing some code to get passwords, identity details, credit card numbers or force people to pay you to release files then you are going to want to target the biggest user base primarily, and that still means Windows.

But let's not pretend that malware for both Linux and OSX don't exist, because they clearly do and have been reported on in the press, and even Apple now accepts there is malware that targets Mac users. There is a lot less of it, and less of a risk, but it is out there.

Any computer is only as safe as the idiot behind the keyboard. Don't run anything you download from sites or people you do not fully trust without scanning first. Make sure whatever form of UAC your OS has is actually on, don't use your computer for everyday use signed in as an Administrator, and keep backups of data you would be upset if you lost.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    Any computer is only as safe as the idiot behind the keyboard. Don't run anything you download from sites or people you do not fully trust without scanning first.
    Yes and yes, but a decent Internet Security program will scan everything anyway, even email attachments on arrival.

Incidentally the latest trojan/virus/other nasty is by email ostensibly from Skype (but it isn't), with a so-called Skype audio message for you to listen to. Yesterday was the first I received and Kaspersky did not report it - however, I did not open it, I deleted it (especially because it was a zip file :eek: ).

However, today when I received another, much the same, Kaspersky got all excited and deleted the attachment - so it must have been a day zero one yesterday and now they've caught up. I bet many people were caught out by this yesterday!!!
    Any computer is only as safe as the idiot behind the keyboard. Don't run anything you download from sites or people you do not fully trust without scanning first.

Indeed (see above!). Beware the latest 'Skype'!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you can't read the thread and keep up with what is being said then that is your issue.

whether you can follow it is of no concern to me.

I wasn't asking a question in my last post but rather stating something. Anyway, whatever.
    Forum Member

McAfee belongs in the tech scrapheap. You ever seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg
    Not quite. You're limited to hardware that is compatible with OSX unless you enjoy the sado-masochistic exercise of messing around with drivers and coding to make something work for five minutes. So you're more likely to get equal performance for less money but then you have to factor in the time it can take to get even compatible hardware up and running...

I've had a few Hackintosh machines on the go. It can be a real faff sometimes.

Whatever floats your boat I guess... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you try and set up a commercial operation selling Hackintosh computers Apple will go after you in civil courts, using trademark and copyright laws though.

It hasn't stopped companies/shops setting up. Applehacks, for example. I think there are ways around it...

"Here is your custom built PC with no OS installed, sir, and here's a completely unrelated copy of OSX that you also happened to order at the same time..."
    Forum Member
    It hasn't stopped companies/shops setting up. Applehacks, for example. I think there are ways around it...

"Here is your custom built PC with no OS installed, sir, and here's a completely unrelated copy of OSX that you also happened to order at the same time..."

You could always claim the copy of OSX was a gift for the Mac owner in your life and that you're going to install Linux on the PC :D
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    McAfee belongs in the tech scrapheap. You ever seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Certainly have. I was being sarcastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could always claim the copy of OSX was a gift for the Mac owner in your life and that you're going to install Linux on the PC :D

In the rare instance that the cops are waiting for you as soon as you step out of the shop, that's a cast-iron reason for having OSX... :D

I always like having a spare copy of OSX lying around the place, you never know who might come around...
    Forum Member
    Certainly have. I was being sarcastic.

It's a good video, isn't it? :D
    In the rare instance that the cops are waiting for you as soon as you step out of the shop, that's a cast-iron reason for having OSX... :D

I always like having a spare copy of OSX lying around the place, you never know who might come around...

I'm sure the men in black turtlenecks would accept that excuse as well :D Do you hand out copies to the Mac owners in your life or give them as gifts?