Signs that Simon is losing his authority as the most influential judge

2»

Comments

• VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other judges on AI seem honest to me. Simon seems biased and seems to be playing mind games to influence the viewers to mess with the heads of the contestants he has, for some reason, taken against. He'll make little digs that undermine their confidence or get them worrying about or trying to "correct" things they should leave alone. And when he goes on about how great a performance is, it's just not believable.
  • Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Considering Cowell had seen Melinda Doolittle perform MFV and didn't stand for that, he was unlikely to stand for Lucie (he should actually have picked up on the problems with the note at the end). Proud Mary was good, but it wasn't exactly "Listen"/"Summertime" - the kind of performance that was once required for standing ovations.

I'm not making anything up.

That 5.74m number (used on Wikipedia) includes recordings viewed within 7 days of first transmission. The overnight rating was 5.2m.

The 5.61m figure only includes "live" viewing and recordings viewed on the same night. An official rating will be published on Monday and is likely to be around 6m.
    Trying to squeeze in references to incomparable performances from completely different shows is really rather lame, as is attempting to move the goalposts. You said; "There were hardly any great performances in the whole series let alone superb." Whether Simon Cowell stood, remained seated or attempted to break the world record for pie eating is completely irrelevant. I didn't care for Listen, because it's a dull song regardless of who may be singing it. And you've not said which interpretation of Summertime you were referring to, either. But if you meant the Leona Lewis version, then that was quite a chore to endure, too.

Your "considerably higher than the much revered Ms Minogue" comment is petty, biased hogwash, and will remain so whether your "6m" prediction proves accurate or not.

That would be the "5.74m number" I looked on the BARB database, as it goes.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to squeeze in references to incomparable performances from completely different shows is really rather lame, as is attempting to move the goalposts. You said; "There were hardly any great performances in the whole series let alone superb." Whether Simon Cowell stood, remained seated or attempted to break the world record for pie eating is completely irrelevant. I didn't care for Listen, because it's a dull song regardless of who may be singing it. And you've not said which interpretation of Summertime you were referring to, either. But if you meant the Leona Lewis version, then that was quite a chore to endure, too.

I've already said that Lucie's MFV wasn't particularly good. The issue being discussed was Cowell's varying standards when giving standing ovations so it's quite relevant.
    Your "considerably higher than the much revered Ms Minogue" comment is petty, biased hogwash, and will remain so whether your "6m" prediction proves accurate or not.

That would be the "5.74m number" I looked on the BARB database, as it goes.

My 6m prediction was inaccurate. It came out at 6.62m. Now, I'm not sure about you, but a difference of 25% is "considerably higher" as far as I'm concerned. Dannii is much revered on here and there is a considerable difference in the ratings. I really don't see the issue in the comment especially in the context of discussing differences between forum opinion and actual public interest.

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weeklyTopProgrammesOverview?_s=4
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but I rate performances on merit, rather than by which judge they're mentored by. By whom? I quoted you because I disagreed with your assertion that "There were hardly any great performances in the whole series let alone superb." Cowell isn't at all relevant to the point, as I very much doubt anyone uses his response as a barometer for the quality of performances.

I don't think it's "considerably higher" at all, given (as I said originally) his supposed status and the amount of publicity his interview had. He's effectively Mr. ITV right now. Dannii judges and mentors on XF. He does the same, judges on BGT as well and owns both formats to boot, not to mention AI on ITV2. Some serious questions would've needed answering had his interview not pulled in more punters than Dannii's. None of this alters the fact that she's the only judge with even an ounce of integrity, in any case.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I rate performances on merit, rather than by which judge they're mentored by. By whom? I quoted you because I disagreed with your assertion that "There were hardly any great performances in the whole series let alone superb." Cowell isn't at all relevant to the point, as I very much doubt anyone uses his response as a barometer for the quality of performances.

Considering the performances compared to previous series, X Factor 6 was widely regarded as a poor year for talent. IMO, it doesn't say much for the series if Lucie's MFV was seen as one of the best.

Cowell is relevant to the thread topic and I noted that he was being less honest with his own contestants on X Factor UK in recent years and that for some reason, the judges seemed to be getting on their feet more in the latest series despite a lower standard of talent.
  • SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think the best we got from that series was Jamie Archer - Hurt and Miss FRANK's - Thats Life.
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Considering the performances compared to previous series, X Factor 6 was widely regarded as a poor year for talent. IMO, it doesn't say much for the series if Lucie's MFV was seen as one of the best.

Cowell is relevant to the thread topic and I noted that he was being less honest with his own contestants on X Factor UK in recent years and that for some reason, the judges seemed to be getting on their feet more in the latest series despite a lower standard of talent.
    Even if it was considered the worst series of the lot, it doesn't automatically follow that there weren't any good performances. But opinions are subjective. Mention Leona Lewis here, and it's virtually guaranteed to result in page after page of posts singing her praises. I find her voice discordant.

Yes, he's relevant to the thread as a whole. But his response isn't relevant to the point when considering whether a performance was good or not. I like the fact that Dannii is prepared to do her job description justice. And it was necessary last year too, with Cowell quite blatantly over-praising his own acts - yet seldom having anything positive to say about hers despite the fact that they frequently left his for dead.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer to hear what Kara has to say this year. I don't find myself agreeing with a lot of what Simon says.