Options

Name change after marriage.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm hoping to get married abroad next month and will be changing my surname when I return to the UK and have found varying claims online about what you actually have to change ASAP. It seems unanimous that my provisional driving license will have to be changed straight away, but am I right in thinking that it is completely legal to keep my passport with my unmarried name until it is due to expire, as long as I book any travel in the name on my passport? I only got it back in March this year so you can understand my reluctance to pay another £72 a few months later for something that ordinarily lasts 10 years if it's not completely necessary!

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's fine. I did the same thing. Wasn't going to pay £70 just for that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's fine. I did the same thing. Wasn't going to pay £70 just for that!

Great, thank you! :D
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations OP,

Yes you can keep your passport in your maiden name - tickets & passport need to be in the exact same name - keep an extra copy of your marriage certificate with you just in case of any emergencies etc.. Also make sure your travel insurance is in the same name. Good luck :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    Congratulations OP,

Yes you can keep your passport in your maiden name - tickets & passport need to be in the exact same name - keep an extra copy of your marriage certificate with you just in case of any emergencies etc.. Also make sure your travel insurance is in the same name. Good luck :)

Thank you very much! :)

Ah, I didn't even think about the travel insurance being in the same name! Thanks for that :)
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Why not get your husband to change his name instead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not get your husband to change his name instead?

Well for a start I'm not going to have a husband...
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La_Looot wrote: »
    Well for a start I'm not going to have a husband...

Well who is going to wash the car and mow the lawn?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My wife-to-be's 19 year old son, of course :D:D
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife-to-be's 19 year old son, of course :D:D

Great reply :D
    Enjoy the wedding day and everyday after that, all the best to you both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great reply :D
    Enjoy the wedding day and everyday after that, all the best to you both.

Thank you very much :):)
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do know that you don't have to change your name at all, don't you?
  • Options
    nig6nig6 Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife is just changing her name on everything since we got married, and she got told by the passport office you had to have it changed within 9 months or its an offence. She's only had it 2 years, so has to pay the full amount and lose 8 years too - conning gits!!
  • Options
    DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nig6 wrote: »
    My wife is just changing her name on everything since we got married, and she got told by the passport office you had to have it changed within 9 months or its an offence. She's only had it 2 years, so has to pay the full amount and lose 8 years too - conning gits!!

An offense? This must have changed within the last two years or my wife broke the law!!?? She took five years to change it.

Thought so - not an offense.

You only get nine months added to your new passport to cover any time remaining on the old one. Just wait until it expires and change all the names at once or just bite the bullet and pay for a new one

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/overview
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Why do people change their names these days? Surely both parties in a marriage are equal and one should not be subsuming their identity under the other.
  • Options
    DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people change their names these days? Surely both parties in a marriage are equal and one should not be subsuming their identity under the other.

Because they want to?

At least that is what my wife said after we'd been married for five years. The idea that she is not equal in our marriage and is subsuming her identity to mine would be news to her.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member

When I get round to it I will be changing mine to a double-barrelled and he will be doing the same. I want to keep my name. As he said I was never going to take his surname and he wasn't going to take my surname so the compromise is to double-barrel.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine took his wife's surname. He completely disassociated himself from his family and doing this was his way of cutting ties completely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nig6 wrote: »

Well I do not use my husbands name and have never heard that before.
    How can it be an offence not to use your OHs name?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Well I do not use my husbands name and have never heard that before.
    How can it be an offence not to use your OHs name?

I think the poster means if you actually change your name it is illegal to have a passport in your maiden name after a set amount of time

If you don't take your husbands name then carry on as normal
  • Options
    AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't planned to change my passport before it expired, but after changing my driving license it got too confusing while booking a holiday involving a hire car so ended up changing passport too. Something to bear in mind if planning holidays where you plan to drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    I think the poster means if you actually change your name it is illegal to have a passport in your maiden name after a set amount of time

If you don't take your husbands name then carry on as normal

Oh I see, thanks for clarifying that for me.
    I was thinking I was illegal for a minute then :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those asking, I'm changing my surname because I WANT to and I'm well within my right to do so. I'm not doing it to adhere to any sort of expectations. It is completely MY choice. And that is what I'm choosing to do. Maybe it's not what you personally would do, but it's what I'm doing. Not that that has anything to do with anyone other than myself and my fiancee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    For those asking, I'm changing my surname because I WANT to and I'm well within my right to do so. I'm not doing it to adhere to any sort of expectations. It is completely MY choice. And that is what I'm choosing to do. Maybe it's not what you personally would do, but it's what I'm doing. Not that that has anything to do with anyone other than myself and my fiancee.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Hope your day is fantastic :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah1982 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Hope your day is fantastic :)

Thank you very much :):)
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it - what does changing your name after marriage actually mean, legally? I'm married and have never used my husband's name, for a variety of reasons. But I'd assumed that it was always an option if I wanted to, and I wouldn't have to actually 'do' anything - except use it, and get it changed on official documents like my passport, driving licence etc.

OP, have a great wedding!