Arthritis in young dog

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
Forum Member
My 3yr old female Deerhound Lurcher has got osteoarthritis in her stifle (knee joint) and hip on one side, and she's currently on Seraquin 2x daily and Previcox when needed. She is still highly energetic and very active, but limps after a long walk or when she's been running a lot.

We've been taking her swimming most nights which has built up her muscle very nicely and helped reduce the limping down so much she only needs maybe 3 Previcox a week, but the cost of the medication is still astronomical, about £96 a month. We're insured, but can't claim for the regular medications as our premiums would go sky high!

We really would do anything for her, and currently looking into getting her referred to see a veterinary orthopaedic surgeon for an arthroscopy, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on alternative remedies which might help. Also I've been looking at the possibility of using human supplements for her instead as Seraquin is glucosamine, chondritin and tumeric, all of which can be bought much cheaper in the same dosage for human consumption. Would it make a difference to give her human supplements instead?

Also, has anyone tried massage for dogs? I have a friend who is a sports massage therapist and also training in equine massage who has offered to read up on dog massage, but was wondering if anyone knows if this has much benefit for arthritis?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any form of medication and dogs makes me nervous......

I would stick with the swimming and try hydrotherapy, some vets have a proper hydro tank to help with this and help dogs recover from other injuries where weight bearing exercise is a prob.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 6 year old labrador with hip dysplasia & likely arthritus (if not now, he'll probably be arthritic in a few years.). The advice I was given by my vet was to make sure that his weight was kept "on the lean side" for the breed as any extra weight will only put extra pressure on the joints.

He also has Cosequin joint supplements. I bought the first lot from the vet at £86 but have since got them online for about £41 ~ helluva difference!!! But I stuck to the brand Cosequin because I was told that it is important not only to get the right strength (too low & you're just wasting your money) but also to look at the active ingredients & other things that they add to these supplements. I'm not sure about using human quality glucosomine but I should check with your vet first.

My dog also has weekly hydrotherapy sessions. This is not just "swimming", which is good for them, but it is a much more controlled form of exercise with a qualified canine hydrotherapist. The hydrotherapist monitors heart rate, pulse, looks at gums, checks the range of extension & movement of the hip joints & makes sure that both hips are working & developing equally. She is in the water with my dog the whole time & makes sure that Barney is using his rear legs properly (he is prone to being a bit lazy & sometimes is content just to paddle around for a bit rather than really exercising his hips!).

I know that the hydrotherapist works with animals recovering from surgery on joints, stifle, hips etc. The idea is that the water makes the exercise virtually weightless so there is no pressure on the joints. Also the legs are just hanging down allowing the joint to move freely & clearing out any detritus in the joints that would cause pain. Plus, as you said, the exercise improves the muscles around the joints & helps support them.

My vet said that dogs that are in pain from arthritic joints tend to compensate by using other joints (i.e. instead of being a "4-wheel drive " dog, they become "front-wheel" or "rear-wheel" drive). This eventually leads to problems from wear & tear on these other joints ~ not a good idea!

I don't know how effective all these treatments have been or whether it's a combination of all of them but so far (touch wood!) Barney's had no problems with his hips, he doesn't limp & is not in pain (he's a complete wooz with pain so I'd know if he was hurting ~ a small thorn in his paw is a major disaster for him:eek:.).

I've not tried massage for dogs but whilst it may be effective for pain relief & pleasant for the dog if done properly, I don't know that it would make any difference to the arthritis itself. ~I have heard that acupuncture can help, but again, only with pain relief, not with the cause of the arthritis.

Best of luck with your young dog ~ I hope that you find something that helps her.
  • quincemeisterquincemeister Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    My collie had very severe osteoarthritis, like your dog he limped after long walks although he was on medication which I think was weaker than that being prescribed to your dog.

I gave him a supermarket brand cod liver oil tablet every day, but a friend of mine suggested that another mutual friend tried a newer technique on my dog. It's a technique called the Bowen technique and whilst I do appreciate that some things work from some and not for others, after two sessions he no longer limped, no longer needed medication at all and was like a puppy again.

The lady who treated him undoubtedly ensured that he had a much better quality of life and people who didn't know he had had the treatment would ask me what I was giving him as he was such a changed dog.

I think it was a technique originally devised for humans but it is gradually being used on animals. As an alternative therapy I cannot recommend it highly enough, particularly when the lady who did it explained that I had to be referred by a vet and that she would not be giving me any advice as regards medication - in my opinion, some alternative therapists try to 'better' the vet when they aren't necessarily qualified to do so.

OP I wish you the best of luck and if I can provide any further information please PM me and I will see what I can find.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, its not quite the same but my Labrador has arthritis in his back legs, due to old age.

The vet recommended human glucosamine supplements, and cod liver oil capsules. He takes Rimadyl for the pain and is tolerating it very nicely after a few months on Metacam which eventually upset his stomach.

Like another poster said I would check the active ingredients. I would also look into buying your meds off the internet, but with a reputable seller - that might well save you a lot of money. Our vets charges us £5 to raise the prescription and we get in online - that saves us about £50 for each lot of Rimadyl.

Really hope you get something sorted :)
  • illusioukillusiouk Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vet recommended human glucosamine supplements, and cod liver oil capsules.

I've been giving my dog these for the last few years now, hes 13, It was heart breaking to watch after a good walk/run in the country park seeing him so stiff and limping away, but after regular doses of the above tablets, for a 13 year old dog hes still fairly active without the suffering now.

I get mines from Holland & Barrets
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys, it's great to hear these suggestions as I've not got any experience of arthritis in people or animals so very helpful!

Sakina had her first massage this week and it did the world of good, she went straight to sleep after the hour session and then in bed later in the evening was groaning happily, no need for her evening pain pill afterwards. It helped that the person doing it is a close friend of mine so she had a happy half hour cuddled with her on the sofa beforehand relaxing and was comfortable in her presence.

Am now having the massage sessions monthly and now have a contact to do the hydrotherapy also monthly so fingers crossed this will all help!
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I'll second glucosamine.Ours is 16 and it's made his quality of life better.My mate races greyhounds and always uses it for them too.Cheaper to buy off the internet in powder form than buying from health food shops though,they're a total ripoff.
  • India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll agree with the Glucosammine also. One of my dogs has always had stiff and painful joints and the vet suggested this supplement.
    It took a couple of months but eased a lot for her, bless her. I get mine in Holland and Barret too.
  • ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Sheltie was 12 months when she got Arthritus .

We were given a supply of painkillers for her when it was bad - similar to our paracetamol.
  • ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Dog oil " works wonders also - get it from Health shops !!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll fourth 'human' glucosamine pills. Shop around on the internet to find them cheaply. The vet wanted us to buy them direct off them, but the price was ridiculous! Anyway haven't had any problems since.