frozen baby onions - where from

AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
Forum Member
On sat Kitchen the other week, ( Phil Davis was on)James mentioned that you could buy these "from the supermarket"

Anyone know which one?

And before anyone says it, I know you should do your own, it's just such a faff! Especially when daugher likes about 10 to herself

Comments

• Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Didn't he use 'silverskin' ones that we usually see pickled and he stated that too? I know I was interested as I'd buy them aswell - but I live in South Wales and I do the rounds of supermarkets especially Tesco, Morrisons - and I don't think I've ever seen them. I've only ever seen the usual small & banana shallots, pickling onions, ready sliced onions - fresh.:)
    I haven't even seen small silver skins fresh let alone frozen - I hate it when I can't find ingredients.:mad:
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Didn't he use 'silverskin' ones that we usually see pickled and he stated that too? I know I was interested as I'd buy them aswell - but I live in South Wales and I do the rounds of supermarkets especially Tesco, Morrisons - and I don't think I've ever seen them. I've only ever seen the usual small & banana shallots, pickling onions, ready sliced onions - fresh.:)
    I haven't even seen small silver skins fresh let alone frozen - I hate it when I can't find ingredients.:mad:
    I think they were silverskin, yes. Have looked on Sainsburys site and googled but cna't seem to find them. Antonio Carluccio said they were " a revelation" IIRC
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    I think they were silverskin, yes. Have looked on Sainsburys site and googled but cna't seem to find them. Antonio Carluccio said they were " a revelation" IIRC

'a revelation'! I wish they'd reveal where from!:rolleyes: they really would be a lovely ingredient to try, as I said earlier I'd buy them. Have you tried emailing the show? I bet it'll be Waitrose or some supermarket we don't have down here in SW.:(
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    'a revelation'! I wish they'd reveal where from!:rolleyes: they really would be a lovely ingredient to try, as I said earlier I'd buy them. Have you tried emailing the show? I bet it'll be Waitrose or some supermarket we don't have down here in SW.:(
    Probably, we don't have one near us either
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I have seen Silverskin pickled but not fresh.
    Forum Member
    I have seen Silverskin pickled but not fresh.

Yes, they're common pickled and my favourite - but apparently 'fresh' is the way forward.:D according to Saturday Kitchen anyway.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately Brake is a very expensive wholesalers.

I am nipping out to Aldi and Asda in a bit, will have a look there for you Abriel.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update: I was at the Aldi till before I remembered, so was unable to check. Sorry.

Asda only had frozen chopped onion.