Options

Court rules UK ISP's must block The Pirate Bay

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17894176

Not really surprised by this ruling, not that it'll have much effect.

Virgin have the right mindset though ..
"As a responsible ISP, Virgin Media complies with court orders addressed to the company but strongly believes that changing consumer behaviour to tackle copyright infringement also needs compelling legal alternatives, such as our agreement with Spotify, to give consumers access to great content at the right price."

Comments

• Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    balls to the BPI. *****.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When do they start blocking The Pirate Bay? Forcing me to use one of the 30 or more other large torrent sites? :p
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, what! I get a lot of my stuff from there. I wonder if a proxy would work?
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I'm still waiting for evidence to show this is affecting music sales and jobs.

As far as i can see with the likes of cowell raking in tens of millions, untalented people like that justin beiber guy buying a mansion at his young age, there is no shortage of cash kicking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for evidence to show this is affecting music sales and jobs.

As far as i can see with the likes of cowell raking in tens of millions, untalented people like that justin beiber guy buying a mansion at his young age, there is no shortage of cash kicking about.

there is a little irony that that **** bieber made his name giving away his music for free on youtube. until he became famous.

bunch of *****.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people who make the decisions are generally not entirely in touch with the subject involved. You need to remember this whenever you read anything to do with laws and rulings.

Not that it matters too much anyway as the next big thing on the horizon is major government driven traffic shaping and filtering. No doubt this will mean only 3 sites will be uncensored in the UK, more than likely one of these will not be .gov.uk domains due to some monumental cock-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    When do they start blocking The Pirate Bay? Forcing me to use one of the 30 or more other large torrent sites? :p

I know of another one that has lots of seeders with the majority of its torrents. They're trying to win a battle that they'll never win. There's an absolute TON of download sources out there. Yet again, their egos are taking control.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I know of another one that has lots of seeders with the majority of its torrents. They're trying to win a battle that they'll never win. There's an absolute TON of download sources out there. Yet again, their egos are taking control.

What does it matter? Most of your seeds will come from DHT anyway. Most of the trackers return an error (for me) anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the best thing about TPB in a way is that they have made themselves something of a focus for the industry. they're like chaff, deflecting attention from everywhere else.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny because the BPI are accusing The Pirate Bay of costing them money, yet they are the ones throwing thousands of pounds at lengthy legal proceedings. If people don't want to pay for something, then they won't. There are plenty of other sites just like The Pirate Bay which UK users will flock too, or people will just use proxies. Shut these sites down, and another will spring up and you have to go through yet more expensive court cases.

The Pirate Bay isn't even that good. It's like stopping you shopping at Lidl. No big loss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    It's funny because the BPI are accusing The Pirate Bay of costing them money, yet they are the ones throwing thousands of pounds at lengthy legal proceedings. If people don't want to pay for something, then they won't. There are plenty of other sites just like The Pirate Bay which UK users will flock too, or people will just use proxies. Shut these sites down, and another will spring up and you have to go through yet more expensive court cases.

The Pirate Bay isn't even that good. It's like stopping you shopping at Lidl. No big loss.

It's crazy really. They're complaining about something they're doing themselves. It's absolute craziness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what i've always said - the money they spend on the legal cases could be better spent on making it more desirable to download legally.

but everyone seems far too concerned with protecting their own backsides and sticking to something that's completely outdated.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears PRS For Music are now the arbiters of what can be online or not, the same organisation which has people pay for licences to listen to music in public when the radio stations have already paid a fee.

The Great Firewall of the UK has arrived. Linux (distros are primarily distributed by P2P), Google (accused of providing links to copyrighted material plus alleged fair use abuse), left wing commentators and other websites and people to be silenced next I fear.

I also note the same fallacies are being used here by supporters of this move (ie. those against the move indulge & support piracy, etc) as was used earlier this year for SOPA and PIPA.

And the biggest tragedy, this move will do nothing to hit piracy.

China, Iran and Syria must be envying what we have done today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    record labels clearly don't understand the problem, let alone come up with a solution to it.

saying that, if they understood the technology in the first place and did something positive about it rather than trying to litigate the problem away, maybe piracy wouldn't be so widespread...
  • Options
    ThePhotographerThePhotographer Posts: 3,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears PRS For Music are now the arbiters of what can be online or not, the same organisation which has people pay for licences to listen to music in public when the radio stations have already paid a fee.

The Great Firewall of the UK has arrived. Linux (distros are primarily distributed by P2P), Google (accused of providing links to copyrighted material plus alleged fair use abuse), left wing commentators and other websites and people to be silenced next I fear.

I also note the same fallacies are being used here by supporters of this move (ie. those against the move indulge & support piracy, etc) as was used earlier this year for SOPA and PIPA.

And the biggest tragedy, this move will do nothing to hit piracy.

China, Iran and Syria must be envying what we have done today.

Are you for real?

China are envious of the UK judge ruling that 4 ISPs have to block a website that will no doubt be accessible for people with other ISPs and then theres issue of proxies and other means?

I hope we have nothing like China in terms of Internet censorship.

I do not like this ruling because it will not stop copyright infringement, it's utterly pointless and means people look to alternative means. The issue of pricing and such needs to be addressed.

I think you were a bit wrong when you talk about banning left-wing commentators. I have the view that I do not want political blogs or news or anything political to be censored. Whether it'#s points I agree with or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China are envious of the UK judge ruling that 4 ISPs have to block a website that will no doubt be accessible for people with other ISPs and then theres issue of proxies and other means?

This bit doesn;t make any sense, needs rephrasing, seems contradictory I think.
    I hope we have nothing like China in terms of Internet censorship.

Not far off. Any censorship is excessive on a massive scale. Obviously censoring your own internal networks and systems is fine, but at some point up the chain someone needs to be able to do unfiltered things and be trusted to be allowed to do what they want. This point is getting further and further away.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    What a pointless and dangerous ruling.

Pointless because there are any number of ways to get around web blocking and a quick search will get you a step by step guide on how to set up a proxy or a VPN. The owners of the site could also set up a new site within minutes under a new name (Newzbin/newzbin2 anyone?). It is a pointless game of whack-a-mole that is costing the government and the entertainment industry an absolute fortune, and what is the result? Kill one site and a new one takes it's place(hence the whack-a-mole analogy).

Now for the dangerous part. This is not going to stop with sites distributing pirated material. What is to stop the government from having any site hosted by political activists shut down? Any site that displays an opinion that goes against the establishment would be in danger of being blocked and you can kiss goodbye to freedom of speech.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The judge obviously does not live in the real world. Most use proxies.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Anyone believe we'll eventually end up with a whitelisted internet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone believe we'll eventually end up with a whitelisted internet?

Erm, no. we haven;t got one now and it's getting further away.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news. Hopefully over the coming months more big name sites will be blocked.

All this nonsense about "its the the internet, we can do WHATEVER we like, WHENEVER we like, because its the INTERNET!!!!!!!!" simply shows arrogance . The golden age of theft is drawing to an end.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Chinese are having a laugh..
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Great news. Hopefully over the coming months more big name sites will be blocked.

All this nonsense about "its the the internet, we can do WHATEVER we like, WHENEVER we like, because its the INTERNET!!!!!!!!" simply shows arrogance . The golden age of theft is drawing to an end.

No it isn't. It is evolving.
  • Options
    GortGort Posts: 7,467
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »

Funny thing is, it's ignorant measures like this that'll just encourage people to find other sources and ways around it. Now those very same people who relied on The Pirate Bay will discover there's a wider world out there than that soon to be blocked site. That's what happens when you deal with the symptoms rather than the cause: the disease strikes back even harder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    That's what happens when you deal with the symptoms rather than the cause: the disease strikes back even harder.

Indeed.