Options

The Daily Mail is the Best Newspaper for Sport

Comments

• Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    I suspect many people don't realise that Britain's most influential newspaper is also very good for sport. Martin Samuel (The Mail's Voice of Sport) has predictably been awarded Sports Writer of the Year for the fifth time.

For more details of the Mail's success:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2588402/MailOnline-named-Website-Year-Sports-Journalism-Awards-ceremony.html

Martin Samuel has now been awarded Sports Journalist of the Year to go with his Sports Writer of the Year Award - from the other day.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin Samuel has now been awarded Sports Journalist of the Year to go with his Sports Writer of the Year Award - from the other day.

Are you on The Mail payroll ? or are you Martin Samuel ? I get the impression he could drown kittens and you would defend him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you on The Mail payroll ? or are you Martin Samuel ? I get the impression he could drown kittens and you would defend him.

No. I didn't get a vote either - on either award.

Nothing to do with me. But I was aware he is the best, so it was no surprise to me.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    No. I didn't get a vote either - on either award.

Nothing to do with me. But I was aware he is the best, so it was no surprise to me.

I've never heard of Martin Samuel.

Who's voting in these awards? Daily Mail office workers?
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

Don't worry, you're not missing anything
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear!

Still they do say ignorance is bliss. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Martin has won the award FIVE times. He will be the highest paid sports columnist in the country - because he is the best.

I expected him to win it this year - and he did. :D

Like the vast majority of fans I've never even heard of Barney Whatshisname.

Err, ok, you don't have to act like a child on a playground about it, 'My dads better than yours etc..'

If you are a child, apoligies, carry on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    I always thought that The Guardian was the best paper for sport - at least based on the quality of its online offering.

It is by quite a distance imo, even the comment sections have sensible and quality debate which is a rarity.

The Times used to be right up there as well but its behind a paywall nowadays.

The Daily Mail is basic tabloid trash really, lots of the 'articles' are only a paragraph or 2 long based off absolutely nothing - the majority of it is based on random tweets and lots of recycled rubbish from other gossip sport sites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought that The Guardian was the best paper for sport - at least based on the quality of its online offering.

The Left-wing rag has been too concerned about losing £100, 000 a day to compete with the best.

If you pay peanuts, you know what you get working for you.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello Martin :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Eyed wrote: »
    Err, ok, you don't have to act like a child on a playground about it, 'My dads better than yours etc..'

If you are a child, apoligies, carry on.

If you are a child, One Eyed, get a parent or guardian to read the simple facts I have given to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's on The Sunday Supplement right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's on The Sunday Supplement right now.

What is The Sunday Supplement?
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP acts as a great 'inverse' barometer whether it be sport or comedy of what's good and what's bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear!

Still they do say ignorance is bliss. :)

Just like you've never heard of Stephen Jones and Paul Rees.

You'll be telling me you've never heard of Oliver Holt next. Oliver's won awards too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is The Sunday Supplement?

Seriously?

It's a show for football fans with different top football journalists on each week. And has been running for many years.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    Agreed with much of what's been said - the DM is genuinely worth the money simply as a daily sports magazine. It has by far and away the best sports coverage of any paper. I only wish the sports section was even bigger!

Front of the paper might not be up to much though, but I'd also say the same for the Guardian and others tbh...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Agreed with much of what's been said - the DM is genuinely worth the money simply as a daily sports magazine. It has by far and away the best sports coverage of any paper. I only wish the sports section was even bigger!

Front of the paper might not be up to much though, but I'd also say the same for the Guardian and others tbh...

Not sure what your problem is with the front of the paper. It changes from day to day.

Take today's: A Father Who Can't Forgive - As ex-IRA boss dines at Windsor, a grieving dad's dignified protest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you are a child, One Eyed, get a parent or guardian to read the simple facts I have given to you.

The only fact that is clear from this thread is that you come across as a bit of a weirdo, if you have any self awareness then im sure you will know what i mean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Eyed wrote: »
    The only fact that is clear from this thread is that you come across as a bit of a weirdo, if you have any self awareness then im sure you will know what i mean.

There are plenty of facts on this thread (relating to the subject title) One Eyed, I suggest you read them again. But this time do try to concentrate. And don't be so puerile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seriously?

It's a show for football fans with different top football journalists on each week. And has been running for many years.

Yes seriously.

I'm not a wendyball fan. We like Rugby of both codes and cricket.
    I take it this award winning 'sports' journalist is just a soccer journalist?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,048
    Forum Member
    Mainly but he does write about other sports on occasions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Mainly but he does write about other sports on occasions.

Then I shall look forward to reading his output on, for example cricket, and comparing it to pure cricket writers. We can then see just how 'award winning' he is.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    Actually he's an excellent cricket writer, it just happens the DM naturally covers football to a greater degree so we see a lot more of his articles on football.

Also, he has a great weekly section where he tears apart ridiculous things that are happening in a number of sports. And his constant attacks on Michel Platini are nearly always hilarious.

I occasionally disagree with him on some things, but it would be very dull to agree with a writer all the time. One thing I always observe is how well he justifies his opinions, compared to many other sports writers. Something which I feel goes towards all his awards.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I find the tabloids to football orientated.
    Okay The Sunday Times has a lot of football, but it does cover all the Rugby Premiership.

The Times was excellent during London 2012, hope that Glasgow 2014 is treated with as much respect.