They didn't kill Hitler

13»

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Hitler was just a red herring.

Much like communism was just a red herring in the movie "Clue" in fact....:)

Great little film that :)
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    It seemed like he was going to be a large part of the plot like the episode with Churchill and the Daleks, and then he's out of the story, like he's the remnant of an earlier draft cut out too suddenly in rewriting, so it seemed clumsy, messy.

The whole thing seemed to be a clumsy mess - and missed opportunities. Surely someone could have come up with a decent story around the rise of Hitler in Doctor Who. Instead we get to find that
    River Song was actually Amy Pond's daughter/best friend who poisoned the Doctor just after regenerating from the best friend.

And then some other folks were going around killing people who were going to be criminals.

Seriously disappointed in the current season of Doctor Who - now where did I put my DVDs of the classic doctor?
  • newman2005newman2005 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    seems there is apt room now for a who/narnia crossover

spose he was left in his war cabinet like churchill (er...srorry)
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watch 'Inglourious Basterds' to get your fix
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dhdefender wrote: »
    Sorry, but this thread reminds me of the bit in the Simpsons where Homer complains that "To Kill A Mocking Bird" didn't tell you how to.

Exactly- brilliant- do not understand the complaints at all- it is only the episode title

the exact Simpsosn quote by the way is
    Homer Simpson: Books are useless! I only ever read one book, "To Kill A Mockingbird" and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the colour of his skin... but what good does *that* do me?

Just because the episode is called 'Let's kill Hitler' doesn't mean anyone has to kill Hitler (and actually somebody did try)- it's a clever title because Mels (joking) reaction to having the use of a time machine is - 'Let's Kill Hitler' an attempt to rewrite history a lot of people would understand

The treatment of Hitler in this epsiode- getting punched by Rory and shoved in a closet was perfect- not quite 'Springtime for Hitler' but pretty funny all the same:)
  • newman2005newman2005 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    one could argue that Hitler's timeline is so important
    that he was shoved in cupboard to avoid it being mucked around with too much etc.

also nice touch that
    Hitler killed Mels,cos he was such a bad shot (her words)

i think thats quite a clever, or at least subtle subtext on a issue that would have been hard to address without mentioning the charcters widers evils.

Also -

Note that the other
    time travellers are not there to affect Hitler which should demonstrate the gravity of what mel/river/kinston bird has done.

I thought all of that was quite well written, certainely handled well for what is meant to be kids TV which appeals to adults to, please try not to shoot me down, only an opinion

newman
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    The people who were going to kill Hitler even admitted they were there too early in his personal timeline, so even if they hadn't have been stopped at that point with River as a distraction, then nobody was planning to do anything to him then.