Dickinsons Real Deal

2»

Comments

• EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    The dealers aren't being greedy, they need to make a living. Dickinson sticks his nose and says twist his arm for another £50. The dealer makes £10, that won't pay for his petrol to get to the sale.. Its not all profit, it's overheads, to cover rent,rates, staff, if any,
    heating, lighting, travel expenses, tax,and wages for the dealer.The mark up needs to be at least 40% or 50%. To stand at a weekend antique fair can cost £300, and some big London fairs can be £1000, or even £2000.for the weekend.

I presume the dealers receive a decent enough fee from the TV company though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dealers aren't being greedy, they need to make a living. Dickinson sticks his nose and says twist his arm for another £50. The dealer makes £10, that won't pay for his petrol to get to the sale.. Its not all profit, it's overheads, to cover rent,rates, staff, if any,
    heating, lighting, travel expenses, tax,and wages for the dealer.The mark up needs to be at least 40% or 50%. To stand at a weekend antique fair can cost £300, and some big London fairs can be £1000, or even £2000.for the weekend.

Since when did I say the dealers being greedy? Ive always supported the dealers its those a***ole sellers that are greedy keep asking for more for old stuff they probably would have thrown out anyway. Makes you wanna just shake them and tell them they wont get full price for it.

Why should the dealer pay over the top for something. He deserves to make a profit on it as thats his line of work. At times its so funny when you get the arrogant seller who wont listen and goes straight to auction and gets less & even less after comission and they say they arent fussed. Of course they are but then again thats your fault for being a greedy sod.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    :o No wonder I have not won. I only put A B or C. I never thought to put the answer as well :(

Ah, someone else with this same dilemma. I now type (for example) - A: Bollocks - because I am not sure either. So I figure if I type the letter and the answer I am ticking both boxes.
    I wish others would refrain from entering this competition because it is hindering my chances and I'm not happy about it :cool:.

I agree with Davy though, those people gawping through the glass in the background make the seller and buyer look like they are sitting in an aquarium. It's when they look at the camera and keeping staring at it that I would like to throw something at them.

I think it is the sellers who are the greedy ones most of the time, some of the rubbish they bring in and expect to walk away with several hundred pounds in their pockets for it..."I've found this used bandaid in my kitchen drawer and I'd like to sell it and take a holiday to Peru...oh no I want more than that, can you go higher? no you're not even warm yet, how about a few more purple notes...no I think I'll take it to auction".

I find the buyers are on the whole professional and fair, you can tell when they don't want to buy something from someone and so offer them peanuts.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't you just hate it when David is ostensibly talking to the seller but is looking directly at the camera? arrrrgghhhh!
    It is his show:p:p
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I presume the dealers receive a decent enough fee from the TV company though.
    I also assumed that they got an appearance fee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They recorded this in my local area last Saturday...... the people chosen to be filmed are told what to say. My friend was there and one of her friends was picked to be on camera.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best daytime show
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DD is always saying . . . . 'there's plenty of bartering and dealing in this show'.
    He's wrong. There's no bartering at all. Bartering is swapping. E.g. you give someone some carrots and he gives you some tomatoes.
    What he means is 'haggling'. I do wish he'd get it right. >:(
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

By appearing on this show, the dealers are getting some fantastic, free publicity.
    That's worth an awful lot.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By appearing on this show, the dealers are getting some fantastic, free publicity.

Why advertise antique dealers? they stand at Antique fairs, do you think people rush to see and buy from them? I often see one of the ladies, I forget her name , at fairs but she is just another dealer amongst many.
    Today the cockney one Hogben, paid £2000 for some gold coins at the insistence of Dickinson, and lost £180 on them, as he said at the time, gold goes down as well as up.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and they get paid to come on the show. with expenses
    they do all right thank you..
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The dealers will be getting a big fee for appearing on the show. If they didn't, I highly doubt that they'd be willing to allow the seller to sometimes walk away with more than they would have got had the deal have been made in their shop. The dealers will be doing very well for themselves on this show. The dealers will have to be compensated for the loss of earnings because of them not being at their shop, unless they have someone there while the dealer is at the show.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The dealers will be getting a big fee for appearing on the show. If they didn't, I highly doubt that they'd be willing to allow the seller to sometimes walk away with more than they would have got had the deal have been made in their shop. The dealers will be doing very well for themselves on this show. The dealers will have to be compensated for the loss of earnings because of them not being at their shop, unless they have someone there while the dealer is at the show.

this is all very true, don't let them fob us off about poverty.. and the Michael hogben he is a tight fisted dealer.. wants a high profit margin, at the expense of the poor seller, who needs the cash, to pay a utility bill.

If he lost money on every program i would be pleased..

£30- £100 profit plus their fees and expenses is plenty for everyone of the dealers.
    more is greed..
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is all very true, don't let them fob us off about poverty.. and the Michael hogben he is a tight fisted dealer.. wants a high profit margin, at the expense of the poor seller, who needs the cash, to pay a utility bill.

If he lost money on every program i would be pleased..

£30- £100 profit plus their fees and expenses is plenty for everyone of the dealers.
    more is greed..

Does anybody know for sure if they do get an appearance fee and if so, how much?

Good of you to let them have £30 -£100, as I pointed out previously it is not profit but overheads including tax. I have had some of experience of antique dealing at fairs and I can tell you that most of the dealers who are doing it more as a hobby are earning less than minimum wage when you take into account all the time they spend at sales and auctions and cleaning and repairing items.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know for sure if they do get an appearance fee and if so, how much?

Good of you to let them have £30 -£100, as I pointed out previously it is not profit but overheads including tax. I have had some of experience of antique dealing at fairs and I can tell you that most of the dealers who are doing it more as a hobby are earning less than minimum wage when you take into account all the time they spend at sales and auctions and cleaning and repairing items.

They would have to get an appearance fee. There are literally hundreds of these shows every year and they're not going to do all that TV work for nothing.