The Royle Family Christmas Special - Xmas Day - 21:45

1131415161719»

Comments

• RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    And yet you mentioned "lower classes" in your previous statement.

Working class = Thick chavs to you does it?

No, they are two separate groups of the population.

The working class I would say were represented by the early series of The Royal Family. Not brilliantly educated, but willing to do a hard days work etc and, as mentioned earlier, with their own moral code/ethics.

The underclass I view as the types represented by the 'Shameless' series eg generations of families that have never worked, using (or rather abusing) social housing, drug abuse, no respect for the law/authority and women popping out their Heinz 57 kids ugh
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Jeez, why all the negativity?

Would you like the most recent album from your favourite band to sound just like the last or their first?

No, but I would expect it to have a similar feel and outlook.

I wouldn't want them to suddenly change tack completely and start doing covers of Gangnam Style.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was an interesting interview with Craig Cash. Especially this part:

"Via the BBC, Cash and Aherne put out a statement blaming other commitments and apologising to the show's fans. To which all I can add is what Cash admitted to me about his and Aherne's approach to scripts: "We do leave it late. It's like doing homework, and we'd put it off and off."

If they see it as doing homework, maybe they don't enjoy writing this any more?

They should do a Royle Family spin off in the Feathers , like Early Doors but with Jim, Dave and Joe etc appearing!
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, interesting interview, thanks for that.
    Here's the link to it

I see that it was from last year, and just to clarify, the apology was for not managing to write a RF special for 2011. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, interesting interview, thanks for that.
    Here's the link to it

I see that it was from last year, and just to clarify, the apology was for not managing to write a RF special for 2011. :o

Whoops sorry! I totally forgot to add the link.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they are two separate groups of the population.

The working class I would say were represented by the early series of The Royal Family. Not brilliantly educated, but willing to do a hard days work etc and, as mentioned earlier, with their own moral code/ethics.

The underclass I view as the types represented by the 'Shameless' series eg generations of families that have never worked, using (or rather abusing) social housing, drug abuse, no respect for the law/authority and women popping out their Heinz 57 kids ugh

Thanks for the clarification, I got a bit confused about who you were referring to.
  • nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ibatten wrote: »
    They probably did. But when they saw the disaster that was last year's Victoria Wood and shifted it to a slot where no-one would see how embarrassing it was, she howled at length about how she was entitled to better

That was actually 4 years ago in 2009!

She spoke about it 9 months later

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/sep/27/victoria-wood-bbc-comedy-decca-aitkenhead
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with this last night. While some parts were just too silly, on the whole I enjoyed it and found it pretty funny. It's definitely a shadow of it's former self though.
  • JayneykulJayneykul Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know why Doreen Keogh (Mary) left?
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jayneykul wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Doreen Keogh (Mary) left?

She retired. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that she had had a stroke, but I can't find the reference now so it may not be the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    She also lives in Ireland, and could be too old/frail/ill to make the trip over the seas. I doubt she's died, we'd have heard something about it, especially seeing that the actress was also one of the original cast members of Coronation Street.

The 2012 special probably won't air in AU for some time, though somehow, I feel this is for the best. I can't say I'm surprised mind, the three specials before it were cringeworthy at best.
  • suzielou1970suzielou1970 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Just read the interview with Craig Cash. Didnt know that Kathy Burke was going to play Cheryl. Dont know if that would have worked out.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky & Sue carry this show quite easily. Craig & Caroline can write far superior scripts and act it too usually. What's weird is that Joe never said a thing and now he has two Christmas episodes centred around him.

The Caravan special has been my favourite since it returned then the Sofa one. I don't think they'll ever top the following gag which was hilarious; 'What personality said "I want to be alone" and Barb says "Terry Waite". Ha!

You have to hand to Jim and Barbara and also when Jim said to Dave can little jim have to go in Barbara's ballroom and Dave said I didn't know Barbara had a ballroom the look on Jim's face was enough and then when Jim threw the board game up in the air saying my arse. I love the sniggers of Jim when Joe is trying to be so serious and Barbara tries to keep her face straight
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got round to watching it. Thought it was brilliant. A lot of laugh-out-loud moments and a lovely ending. Hopefully they will make more.
  • madeleymademadeleymade Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    She retired. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that she had had a stroke, but I can't find the reference now so it may not be the case.
    Did she? Because a friend of mine whose parents worked in Irish telly said that she had died, that's why she wasn't in any episodes after Queen of Sheba.
    TheButler wrote: »
    She also lives in Ireland, and could be too old/frail/ill to make the trip over the seas. I doubt she's died, we'd have heard something about it, especially seeing that the actress was also one of the original cast members of Coronation Street.
    I see.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she? Because a friend of mine whose parents worked in Irish telly said that she had died, that's why she wasn't in any episodes after Queen of Sheba.

I see.

Shes alive..Shes 89 according to wikipedia.