Options

TV always showing rubbish?

Comments

• Options
    dynamicsdynamics Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some would ask why on earth you would want to watch those American shows:confused:

Perhaps we dont get them because few are interested?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Personally, I beleive that it all boils down to that five letter word MONEY here!! TV Execs just dont want to spend their money on GOOD QUALITY programming when making acquistion deals!!

Yet, in Australia, who, by and large, has less cable/satelite channels than we do, gets EVERYTHING!! They have all the US talk shows, both daytime and late night, and even gets them 24 hours after the original airtime showing in the USA!! And yet, we are on a 2-3 week delay before we get an Ellen Degeneres Show for example!! Mind you, thats the only one we get anyway, other than the Wendy Williams Show on BET!! I think, although I am not certain about this, but Australia even gets the US Breakfast shows as well, like NBC Today, Good Morning America and CBS This Morning!!

AND YET WE IN LITTLE OLE PUNY CHEAPSKATE BRITAIN GETS NOTHING!!!!:mad::mad:

Cut out the brit bashing, remember we are paying for you, your rent, food etc as you don't work. Talk to Australians about how good they think TV is over there, many ain't impressed. If you want to watch American tat then carry on but please don't try and tell us its good broadcasting.
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dynamics wrote: »
    Some would ask why on earth you would want to watch those American shows:confused:

Well, we all seem to be getting transfixxed with Honey Boo Boo now!!!:eek::eek:
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,658
    Forum Member
    Personally, I beleive that it all boils down to that five letter word MONEY here!! TV Execs just dont want to spend their money on GOOD QUALITY programming when making acquistion deals!!

Yet, in Australia, who, by and large, has less cable/satelite channels than we do, gets EVERYTHING!! They have all the US talk shows, both daytime and late night, and even gets them 24 hours after the original airtime showing in the USA!! And yet, we are on a 2-3 week delay before we get an Ellen Degeneres Show for example!! Mind you, thats the only one we get anyway, other than the Wendy Williams Show on BET!! I think, although I am not certain about this, but Australia even gets the US Breakfast shows as well, like NBC Today, Good Morning America and CBS This Morning!!

AND YET WE IN LITTLE OLE PUNY CHEAPSKATE BRITAIN GETS NOTHING!!!!:mad::mad:

I would expect Australians would like to see some more Australian programming on their screens rather than wall-to-wall imports.

Australian TV is on the whole dreadful - full of advertising and imports. The content actually made in Australia tends to consist of soaps, very occasional drama serials, and domestic versions of international formats like The Voice, Dancing With The Stars, Big Brother etc. They're also rather fond of bland chatshows and infomercials. Even the big networks like Nine, Ten and 7 show very little Australian content in primetime, and the budgets are not high. Stuff gets shelved and axed very quickly too.

Say what you like about UK television, we do at least make the majority of our TV programmes and have comparitively little advertising compared to other major English speaking nations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I would expect Australians would like to see some more Australian programming on their screens rather than wall-to-wall imports.

Australian TV is on the whole dreadful - full of advertising and imports. The content actually made in Australia tends to consist of soaps, very occasional drama serials, and domestic versions of international formats like The Voice, Dancing With The Stars, Big Brother etc. They're also rather fond of bland chatshows and infomercials. Even the big networks like Nine, Ten and 7 show very little Australian content in primetime, and the budgets are not high. Stuff gets shelved and axed very quickly too.

Say what you like about UK television, we do at least make the majority of our TV programmes and have comparitively little advertising compared to other major English speaking nations.

Yeah, because we have a Godawfull thing called a TV Licence rammed down our throats, that we are virtually held at gunpoint to pay!!!

British TV programming is by land large utter cheap crap!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, because we have a Godawfull thing called a TV Licence rammed down our throats, that we are virtually held at gunpoint to pay!!!

Gosh, you do put forward an intelligent and rational argument don't you?
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dynamics wrote: »

I would ask that too, the lack of American chat shows invading our TV screens, to me, is a blessing.

Now that is utter rubbish. You have a very strange idea of what constitutes a decent programme and what they cost to make. Chat shows are possibly the cheapest form of TV programming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would much rather have more adverts than have this TV Licence millstone around my neck!! I am used to loads of ad breaks anyway, having lived in the USA and watching TV over there, it wouldnt make much difference to me!!

Anyway, getting back to the original topic of this thread: One small example of rubbish on TV here now, is that show on Sky 1, I think, about the sandwich chainstore, Greggs. What an utter waste of time and resources!! I dont seem to ever recall the USA making a TV series on MacDonalds, Burger King, Subway or KFC!!!:eek::mad::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I would ask that too, the lack of American chat shows invading our TV screens, to me, is a blessing.

Now that is utter rubbish. You have a very strange idea of what constitutes a decent programme and what they cost to make. Chat shows are possibly the cheapest form of TV programming.

They are not, because for one thing they have to pay all the guests to appear on them(and depending on who the guests are, even Lawyers fees), plus the salaries of the hosts and staff!! I remember a couple of years ago reading that the retired host Regis Philbin commanding $18 million a year for just an hour a day of TV time and David Letterman gets paid $30 million a year!! All our TV hosts get paid peanuts and are paupers by comparison!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I would much rather have more adverts than have this TV Licence millstone around my neck!! I am used to loads of ad breaks anyway, having lived in the USA and watching TV over there, it wouldnt make much difference to me!!

Anyway, getting back to the original topic of this thread: One small example of rubbish on TV here now, is that show on Sky 1, I think, about the sandwich chainstore, Greggs. What an utter waste of time and resources!! I dont seem to ever recall the USA making a TV series on MacDonalds, Burger King, Subway or KFC!!!:eek::mad::D
    I'd bring up Man vs. Food and "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" and pretty much the entire Food Network.

In fact whilst we're at, why the hell does The Weather Channel exist?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your talking utter and complete tosh, you really do need to slow down and carry out a life audit, it might make you speak sense in the future...although I doubt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are not, because for one thing they have to pay all the guests to appear on them(and depending on who the guests are, even Lawyers fees), plus the salaries of the hosts and staff!! I remember a couple of years ago reading that the retired host Regis Philbin commanding $18 million a year for just an hour a day of TV time and David Letterman gets paid $30 million a year!! All our TV hosts get paid peanuts and are paupers by comparison!!:D

Try not to confuse quality with earnings :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd bring up Man vs. Food and "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" and pretty much the entire Food Network.

In fact whilst we're at, why the hell does The Weather Channel exist?

The Weather Channel is useful, because farmers and other food producers view that channel in the USA in order to guage crop production value for Wall Street to monitor stocks and markets and also it gives valuable information about tornadoes, hurricanes, snowstorms, and other extreme weather conditions, locally and nationally, for such things as travel, albeit air, rail, road or water!! Forewarned is forearmed as they say!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, we all seem to be getting transfixxed with Honey Boo Boo now!!!:eek::eek:

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite, there is nothing to write home about Australian TV, and I do have extensive first hand experience of it.

ABC tries, but it simply doesnt have the money to produce a diverse range of quality home grow content like the BBC, hence it ends up buying a significant quantity of BBC content . This is no bad thing in itself, other than the fact I'm sure Australians would prefer to have more of their own home grown content. Oh and AFAIK Foxtel (Sky) has recently grabbed the rights to the BBC content, so ABC are going to be royally stuffed.

One thing Foxtel hasnt yet monopolised, surprisingy, is sport. There is still plenty FTA. It will sadly inevitibly go that way though. My wife is most pissed about them grabbing the netball recently.

The commercial channels as you rightly say are saturated with rehashes of international formats and endless American imports. You are also right about the adverts, informercials and dont forget the intrusive in program promotions. You would have to be pretty moronic to think that is a good way to go.

There have been a few enjoyable Aussie dramas over the past few years such as, Packed to the Rafters, A Place to Call Home, House Husbands, Puberty Blues, Winners and losers.

SBS is an international channel so does have a variety of european and other content if that floats your boat.

UK television, generally, is way ahead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats total bollocks. It's by and large way better than in any other country I have spent time in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

........and they dont have crap like that on American TV? I think you'll find they do.....and yes I have also spent significant time working in the States.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I agree with the OPs sentiment that there is a huge amount of rubbish on TV. What annoys me is the laughable amount of repeats - i.e. - 'Dave' should just be renamed 'The Top Gear channel'. I can't usually distinguish between different nights of the week when I browse through my EPG because most of the cable and sat channels just show the same programmes at the same time every day.

The most baffling thing, that really supports the OPs view is crazy scheduling decisions. Very often, primetime on BBC One and ITV have such unusual programming. BBC One on Sunday night primetime - Antiques Roadshow and Case Histories. Surely these are tea time or afternoon shows, not the creme de la creme of the BBCs locker that aim to pull in ratings on a Sunday night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People bemoan the way the BBC is financed but compared to many "state" broadcasters it seriously is way ahead.

As someone has mentioned, ABC in Australia is nowhere near in terms of scope, content, and quality compared to the BBC.

RTE in Ireland is not great either. Not a huge amount of original Irish programming, and reliant on imports from the US and the UK for huge swathes of their schedule. RTE are good at children's and youth programming, and their current affairs stuff is pretty good but they don't make a lot of dramas, comedies etc except for the soap Fair City.

In Ireland too, they pay a TV Licence for RTE and still have to watch adverts on RTE's two main channels!

TV One in New Zealand is very heavily reliant on imports too, from the US, Australia, and the UK.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    RTE in Ireland is not great either. Not a huge amount of original Irish programming, and reliant on imports from the US and the UK for huge swathes of their schedule. RTE are good at children's and youth programming, and their current affairs stuff is pretty good but they don't make a lot of dramas, comedies etc except for the soap Fair City.

In Ireland too, they pay a TV Licence for RTE and still have to watch adverts on RTE's two main channels!

I agree. RTE is a load of crap 90% of the time. I hardly ever watch it apart from the news, weather and lotto results. I mostly watch the UK channels whenever I watch TV. And yes we do pay a TV Licence, it's about €160 a year. I pay mine every September.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've experienced Australian TV, its not good but ours is fast catching up, but at least they still have free to air test cricket.

Totally agree with the OP, Saturday nights being a case in point.
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, you do put forward an intelligent and rational argument don't you?

But she comes to the point though:D:) - I like her style!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The Weather Channel is useful, because farmers and other food producers view that channel in the USA in order to guage crop production value for Wall Street to monitor stocks and markets and also it gives valuable information about tornadoes, hurricanes, snowstorms, and other extreme weather conditions, locally and nationally, for such things as travel, albeit air, rail, road or water!! Forewarned is forearmed as they say!!:D

The rest of us just use google...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose the Weather Channel could be seen as important in a large country like the USA where there can be huge variations in the weather across the country at any one time, but would be completely pointless in a small country (geographically small I mean) like the UK where you can pretty much summarise the weather for the entire country in a 2 minute forecast.

I still don't think US TV is superior to the UK. They do make some very good comedies and dramas, and due to much larger budgets they can produce more of this than we can in British equivalents. However, you have to remember we receive mostly only the best of what the US has to offer. A lot, and I mean a helluva lot of their TV is complete tripe which we are lucky not to receive.
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who has SKY can not say that all channels show rubbish.
    There is some real quality drama out there. All American mind but drama like American Horror Story, Dexter, Walking Dead, Bates Motel, Hannibal, True Blood are not rubbish.
    Even trash tv like The Real Housewives is entertaining to me. The amount I pay for SKY is well worth it IMO.