Options

Permit holders parking - I need help!

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't know if this applies around the whole of the UK but in London there are signs with

Permit Holders Only

2 - 3pm.

Does anyone know what that means? Can I park in those time slots or park outside those time slots? I can't find the info on the internet!

Update - have I posted this in the wrong section of the forum? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should mean between 2pm-3pm only residents can park there but that would only mean for an hour which does not make any sense.

I live in a road (not in London) and it says 9am to 8pm for residents and outside those hours anyone can park there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're 100 percent sure I can park on those bays (sort of rectangle boxes) outside 2 - 3 pm? I'm worried I will get a ticket.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's used in streets where commuters park up - by having those limited time bays it ensures that the people who actually live or want to park for a short time there can get parked during the day as they'll be free from commuter parking all day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically I can park outside of the 2 - 3pm time zone? Is that right? Sorry to sound dense on this, it's just that if you say

YES!

I will understand!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    You're 100 percent sure I can park on those bays (sort of rectangle boxes) outside 2 - 3 pm? I'm worried I will get a ticket.

It would be my understanding of that sign from what you have said, but I would call the local council rather than take my word for it.

Just an hour of restricted parking is a little odd.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    So basically I can park outside of the 2 - 3pm time zone? Is that right? Sorry to sound dense on this, it's just that if you say

YES!

I will understand!

Yes, you can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I will check tomorrow though. I think what you DS users have posted is right. Seems to make sense. Thanks for the help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    It's used in streets where commuters park up - by having those limited time bays it ensures that the people who actually live or want to park for a short time there can get parked during the day as they'll be free from commuter parking all day

That would explain why it is just an hour.

There's a town not far from here where it is also just an hour or two you cannot park, but I always thought I was missing something and couldn't park there at all.

Those evil geniuses :D
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would explain why it is just an hour.

There's a town not far from here where it is also just an hour or two you cannot park, but I always thought I was missing something and couldn't park there at all.

Those evil geniuses :D
    Where I've seen it the hour is *just* at chucking out time from the schools - so not only do the locals not have to worry about commuters, they also don't have to worry about the evening school run.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It means only people with resident parking permits can park there between 2-3pm. Outside of that hour, anybody can park there.

The reason is as Ethel_Fred described: it stops commuters parking there and going to a nearby station for work. That would be unfair because they would leave their cars there until 6/7pm, meaning the residents would have nowhere to park until late evening, and it would also take income away from the station car park. Most places in London within a mile of a railway station will have similar restrictions.

The town I work in is full of large office buildings so the restrictions are 9-10am and 3-4pm, which prevents commuters who start early and those who start late.

Edit: For all of you who don't know what these signs mean, bus lane signs are similar in London. Where they say "7-10am" it means that's only a bus lane for those three hours. Outside of those hours you can use it as a normal lane. Sometimes I have been the only car using the lane and sailed past hundreds of yards of stationary cars who don't seem to realise it's not restricted ALL the time.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: For all of you who don't know what these signs mean, bus lane signs are similar in London. Where they say "7-10am" it means that's only a bus lane for those three hours. Outside of those hours you can use it as a normal lane. Sometimes I have been the only car using the lane and sailed past hundreds of yards of stationary cars who don't seem to realise it's not restricted ALL the time.

There's a long street near me with a bus lane nearly all the way down it. It's a bus lane from 4pm - 7pm, and it stays that way over several junctions.

Then suddenly, after one junction, and without any warning, it changes to 7am - 7pm. The council has put a bus lane camera up at that point, and has made a fortune from it.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why are you telling people that? I save an hour a week using bus lanes outside of operational hours, the less people that know the better
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed they have '1-hour-a-day' restrictions on residential streets near train/tube stations and other locations where parking doesn't need to be particularly restricted, but they want to discourage commuters from leaving their cars in random streets from 7am until 7pm.

By having just 1 hour during the day when the car would have to be moved is a major disincentive to do this, so people park in the proper train station car parks.

They usually put the restricted hour right in the middle of the working day so it would be impossible/impractical for people to get the train/tube back just to move their car.

This is also very cheap to enforce as you only have to pay a warden for one hour a day :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Well, we finally got there - thanks folks! I was looking up the meaning of a parking notice which reads 'Resident Permit Holders only - 2-4pm" in Crouch end. Now I know - cool. and well good tip on the Bus lanes too. Love DS