Options

Channel 4 Educating Yorkshire

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'm not a parent. I just think that there is a difference between being a parent and being a teacher, because as a teacher you have a job to do, you have to be completely professional, you only have to work with the subject through a short period of their lives, and while it's good to have a mutually friendly and respectful relationship, if one of you doesn't like the other it isn't necessarily the end of the world as long as you both can put aside one's differences for the respective tasks at hand. Being a parent is different. It's still a sort of job, but not really one where you have to be professional; it's a task for a very long period of the child's life, in most cases; personal opinions of one another are very important; you will get to know one another on a much more personal level than in a parent/teacher relationship; and it's not so much about completing individual tasks as it is about letting the child grow up and learn about the world.

Obviously there is overlap between the two, but personally I think that being a parent and a teacher are two completely different things, and require different skills. I've never been a parent (or a teacher come to that, though I have worked in a school as a voluntary classroom assistant in drama), so maybe there is something that I don't know. I can't claim to understand being a parent entirely, as I don't think you can until you have experienced it first hand - but just from my observations, I think it's very different to being a teacher. Maybe I"m wrong.

If you're not a parent, your views, to which you are of course entitled, are bound to be somewhat subjective.

No disrespect, but they seem to be as I've read, "mostly about you" which is only natural. You need to be able see the wider picture.
    Particularily, the deteriorating standards in classroom behaviour, some of which is down to poor standards of contemporary teaching and some due to teachers having their authority to control classes watered down and some parents who just can't be assed.

I accept, there's always been good and bad teachers.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    If you're not a parent, your views, to which you are of course entitled, are bound to be somewhat subjective.

No disrespect, but they seem to be as I've read, "mostly about you" which is only natural. You need to be able see the wider picture.
    Particularily, the deteriorating standards in classroom behaviour, some of which is down to poor standards of contemporary teaching and some due to teachers having their authority to control classes watered down and some parents who just can't be assed.

I accept, there's always been good and bad teachers.

No disrespect taken. Everyone's points of view will be from their own personal experience, and for some people that experience will have more relevance to the current educational standard than others (not to say that the others' opinions aren't relevant, of course.) I'm neither a parent nor a teacher, but it hasn't been long since I was in a state school myself, so I think I understand a fair amount about a school's workings at the current time.

Everyone's views are subjective; to have a fully objective viewpoint on the standards of education, you need a thorough understanding of every school there is, which is pretty impossible in my mind - statistics can show what grades the students get, but we both know that grades aren't everything. Every school is different. The viewpoints of everyone on this forum will be subjective and based on their own personal experiences, just as mine are as well.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that made me smile in this episode was that the headteacher was saying that one of the boys was not making eye contact when he was talking to him. Yet the headteacher himself had his foot up on a table and was concentrating on doing up his laces all the time he was talking to the boy.

A case of "do as I say, but not as I do", I should think.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    One thing that made me smile in this episode was that the headteacher was saying that one of the boys was not making eye contact when he was talking to him. Yet the headteacher himself had his foot up on a table and was concentrating on doing up his laces all the time he was talking to the boy.

A case of "do as I say, but not as I do", I should think.

The point was clear, that he was avoiding making eye contact, looking down, to the side, but not at the Head.
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    Looks like it'll be a great series.

Ryan :D:D:D
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryan is a absolute gem.:). I've just watched it and was surprised by what the headmaster said near the beginning of the programme, that 15 years ago the school was 99% white British and now it's 50% white British. Quite a drop for a relatively short space of time.:confused:
  • Options
    .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks just like my school did 30 plus years ago - yes i grew up in dewsbury ! but left 30 years ago

Me too!!! Left 20 yrs ago for South Devon.....give me Dewsbury any day!!!!:D
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A real shame that Kammeron (or however you stupidly spell it) got let back in.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Me too!!! Left 20 yrs ago for South Devon.....give me Dewsbury any day!!!!:D
    They've re-opened the Earlsheaton Tunnel for walkers and cyclist.;)
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    According to the programme, his name is Kamrrem, his father is Pakistani, and his mother is English.

For the benefit of Radcliffe 95.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening :)
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all..
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Good evening :)
    Hi - didn't watch last week but curious to see what the show's like. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Hi - didn't watch last week but curious to see what the show's like. :)

What a delightful young lady
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CHARMING girls!
  • Options
    BlomkvistBlomkvist Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vicky Pollard.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blomkvist wrote: »
    Vicky Pollard.
    Lol - my thoughts exactly! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assault ABH... oh wonderful...
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It needs subtitles!!! :D
  • Options
    BlomkvistBlomkvist Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll be pushing a pram around Dewsbury in three years.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Lying *****.

Sorry she might be a kid but thats the kind of little miss that grows up to be on jezza.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can that be fair? Have I missed something? What corroboration was there that he called Georgia a slag first?
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure that was fair, both were as bad as each other and should have had the same punishment in my opinion. I wonder what the Head thought when he saw it back and that she had called the lads mum names
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blomkvist wrote: »
    She'll be pushing a pram around Dewsbury in three years.

As long as that:D
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so she says on camera that she did call his mum a slag, what a bright spark :p