The Motorway - Life in the Fast Lane BBC2

Comments

• charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GP wrote: »
    They should leave the repairs outside those two pathetic individuals, houses and when someone dies on the motorway due to the road not being in a good state, send all the relatives round with baseball bats. You bought a house on the cheap as it's by a motorway you morons. Dont like it? Move. duh.

It's usually good fun to see the overreactions on here, especially when something is so clearly set up for the cameras like those two moaning chaps.

But your comment crosses the line. Hopefully it's a woeful attempt at humour because if that was a serious comment.....
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    A set up? Slowing and stopping a car in a live lane on one of the busiest sections of motorway in the UK for dramatic effect, can you imagine the health and safety discussion before shooting that scene?

And remember this programme was made in close co-operation with the Highways Agency. Do you really think they would have been involved in something that showed how dangerous the Smart Motorway scheme can be, when they are the ones championing it?

Agreed, can't see it being set up due to the dangers of live traffic
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, so you just think they happened to have a camera in a car of a woman who just conveniently had a puncture in the smart motorway section? Yeah right.

Right so you think someone would be so stupid as to set up a stunt on a live motorway lane which could easily have resulted in a fatal accident?
  • elfrancoeelfrancoe Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I live few streets away from the moaners. They both moved after motorway was built. I know them both and they are known for moaning about everything. Thing is they both drive so u would think they want a safe roads for when they use them. Also alan drives comnunity transport so u think he be more understanding.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, so you just think they happened to have a camera in a car of a woman who just conveniently had a puncture in the smart motorway section? Yeah right.

I think they fitted GoPro's to a number of vehicles that travelled through the M6 area in question, remember the Sikh guy and his comments about congestion and right at the start of the programme the people carrier full of kids, the puncture - just good luck for the programme makers. Likewise do you think catching those HGV's that made the last minute swerve was planned?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    I am inclined to agree with the setup theory, although quite why they chose that section beggars belief. Why else was a camera in her car unless it was for the documentary and was pure bad luck that she had a puncture where she did, whilst she was being filmed for further footage, ( I don't really know what I am talking about). :confused:

They could have filmed someone with a puncture being recovered then got permission from her to recreate the puncture happening. It could have been simulated without any danger to anyone but would need to watch again to be sure.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    They could have filmed someone with a puncture being recovered then got permission from her to recreate the puncture happening. It could have been simulated without any danger to anyone but would need to watch again to be sure.

Yes, of course. It's TV after all - smoke and mirrors. :)
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the way she said "oh god, oh god, no, we're going to die" and then a bit later said "don't worry dear" to her little daughter.

(or words to that effect)
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The face and reaction of the young lass in the car, suggested it wasn't set up, she was close to tears
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    The face and reaction of the young lass in the car, suggested it wasn't set up, she was close to tears

Still begs the question as to why was she being filmed at all.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone said earlier. They might have just set up a few cars that use the new Smart M-way with cameras to "fish" for footage.
    It might be people being saying "ooh no, I'm not driving over there in the hard shoulder" or bits of road rage, but in this instance they struck gold with a puncture.

As said above, to ask a parent and child, even if they were part of the production crew, to fake a puncture and come to a full stop in the inside lane of a busy motorway and risk getting destroyed by say, an HGV driver who was texting away, is not something that would happen these days.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    Right so you think someone would be so stupid as to set up a stunt on a live motorway lane which could easily have resulted in a fatal accident?

Yes I do. How else do you explain it? Coincidence?
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I think they fitted GoPro's to a number of vehicles that travelled through the M6 area in question, remember the Sikh guy and his comments about congestion and right at the start of the programme the people carrier full of kids, the puncture - just good luck for the programme makers. Likewise do you think catching those HGV's that made the last minute swerve was planned?

No, they didn't get that lucky. The chances of someone just happening to have a puncture are miniscule.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was likely staged. At no point do you see behind the car to see if the lane was open behind them also there was a camera man there to film the car going on to the low loader who also didnt bother to get a shot of the flat tyre.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only just caught up with this as i recorded it.

The two moaning men came over as a bit daft, one in particular seemed more interested in getting some free board and lodging at an Hotel out of it.

I felt more for the elderly couple with the flooding problem who were both decent people. The authorities seemed to treat them with respect too. No bawling and shouting matches there.

The woman with the puncture.....funny how some folk jump to the 'set up' conclusion. :confused: As others have pointed out, were the stupid HGV's dodging the exit about to be coned also 'a set up'? :confused:

Anyone who has had a puncture will know it can happen anytime anywhere with little warning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was likely staged. At no point do you see behind the car to see if the lane was open behind them also there was a camera man there to film the car going on to the low loader who also didnt bother to get a shot of the flat tyre.

Why is he going to take a risk to film a flat tyre? why would she bother ringing a recovery service if she was part of a set up she'd wait for recovery as it was already coming.. and of course who on earth would involve a child in such a set up?
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    You can see it just after she's pulled in.

44:36 on iPlayer - front right looks flat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    It strikes me as strange when they rush across the lanes of traffic in the dark to put signs up. Yet, not long after, the police are there to hold traffic back.
    Well, common sense to me would say, don't risk the lives of employees, get the police to hold back the traffic, then set up the signs and the traffic cones, and then let the traffic go.

They should also think of putting lane markings in gantries. That way, people know by a green arrow, red cross, or amber circle if the lane is open, closed, or there's an incident and it's time to move.

I'm not sure if they already do in the UK. I know in Australia they lower the speed limits of motorways all the way down to 40km/h when there's roadworks going on. Surely, this is what they should be doing in the UK as well. It's a wonder more workers haven't been killed.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    It strikes me as strange when they rush across the lanes of traffic in the dark to put signs up. Yet, not long after, the police are there to hold traffic back.
    Well, common sense to me would say, don't risk the lives of employees, get the police to hold back the traffic, then set up the signs and the traffic cones, and then let the traffic go.

They should also think of putting lane markings in gantries. That way, people know by a green arrow, red cross, or amber circle if the lane is open, closed, or there's an incident and it's time to move.

I'm not sure if they already do in the UK. I know in Australia they lower the speed limits of motorways all the way down to 40km/h when there's roadworks going on. Surely, this is what they should be doing in the UK as well. It's a wonder more workers haven't been killed.

I take it you're not from the UK or have driven the motorways here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They do try to slow the traffic down via overhead signs, some of which are legally binding speed signs, closing lanes causes tailbacks on busy motorways, growing at approximately 1 mile a minute.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The police do on occasions do rolling roadblocks, espcially if the lane closure(s) is for emergency safety reasons such as a pothole appearing, as they seem to do daily. But with the police who patrol that part of the motorway network responsible for more than 400 miles of road they can't be at the beck and call of the private contractors all the time.

They do have gantries and use them, but regretably not everybody notices/obeys the closures so they have to use physical markers such as cones and Impact Protection Vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhZSEIn9t2k

They do routinely reduce speed limits where there are lane closures, but they don't go as low as 40km/h (25mph), usually 50mph (80km/h) but sometimes 40mph (64km/h).
  • RIPYorkshireTVRIPYorkshireTV Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    It was definitely real. They wouldn't be allowed to fake it and pass it off as real in an observational documentary. That's a real no go zone these days.
  • QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    tasker wrote: »
    Only thing better than listening to someone like that moan is them doing it in a Brummie accent.

These people were in Dudley so were from the Black Country - a different accent completely from the Birmingham one. Actually, much nicer to listen to IMHO than the Birmingham accent...and I'm a Brummie born and bred! ;-)

Neil
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    Why is he going to take a risk to film a flat tyre? why would she bother ringing a recovery service if she was part of a set up she'd wait for recovery as it was already coming.. and of course who on earth would involve a child in such a set up?

You really aren't going to be convinced are you? What do you think the likelihood of someone just happening to get a flat while having a camera in their car is? And where do you think the cameraman came from?
    Forum Member
    Quofan wrote: »
    These people were in Dudley so were from the Black Country - a different accent completely from the Birmingham one. Actually, much nicer to listen to IMHO than the Birmingham accent...and I'm a Brummie born and bred! ;-)

Neil

They were actually from Walsall, but same point applies.