Forum Member
✭✭✭
Out this friday, anyone buying? :)

First review is in - http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/992/992615p1.html

Looks 'ace' (:rolleyes::p)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    I'll be buying even though I was pretty tempted by Virtua Tennis. EA pulled off a coup by being able to include motion+ add-on with it.

Looking forward to the game immensly but bit annoying that you can't play 2-player with the motion+ unless you buy the add-on on its own aswell.

And considering the majority of people will be buying wii sports resort with included add-on then I personally would have 3 add-ons for 2 controllers if you follow. Great if you have more than 2 remotes though!

Anyway mini-rant over, I am looking forward to the game, honest.

Look out for the official Wii Grand Slam tennis online challenge thread.....
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was tempted by Virtual tennis too but ended up getting that for the 360 instead, been totally swayed by the motion plus add on!

Lets have a Digital Spy Wimbledon :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a great review from eurogamer.....the only bad one I've seen so far. Gamesradar gave it 9/10 and ONM also gave it a 9 (suprise, suprise!)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't WAIT for this.

The problem is. . . .

Gran Slam Tennis with Motion plus = £45

Extra motion plus = £18

Extra nun chuck = £15

DAMN PRICEY!
  • ShimShamShimSham Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    aaronon wrote: »
    Can't WAIT for this.

The problem is. . . .

Extra motion plus = £18

Extra nun chuck = £15

DAMN PRICEY!

You can get the motion plus addon for £16.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aaronon wrote: »
    Can't WAIT for this.

The problem is. . . .

Extra motion plus = £18

Extra nun chuck = £15

DAMN PRICEY!

Grand Slam Tennis with Motion plus

Extra motion plus

Nintendo Nunchuk

:)
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Just been to ASDA and asked if they were stocking GrandSlam Tennis with Wii Motion+ tomorrow.
    The guy went out the back and got a box which contained both and scanned it which showed a price of £39.71.
    He said he was not sure if the price will change by tomorrow or not.
    Im going out first thing in the morning to check, praying that the price stays the same which will be a bargain if it does.
    Forum Member
    Yay! £39.71:D
    I think they got the price wrong, but im not complaining.
    Forum Member
    Ive had a quick go.
    Its gonna take a bit of getting used to as ive got to try and get out of Wii Sports Tennis mode and swing my arm more rather than just a flick of the wrist.
    My online name is Gonzo6275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna pick this up on my lunch today

How does the online mode work? Is it the silly friend code malarky??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Had a bash at it last night like Gonzo said need to get out of Wii Sports Tennis mode, its quite difficult but I rate that as a positive

Have a proper crack this weekend
    Forum Member
    Anyone figured it out yet?

I've spent an hour with it. I can't seem to stop my player from moving around the wrong side i.e. I want to play a forehand but it's positioned me for a backhand.

Doesnt seem to do it quite so reguarly now but I've no idea how to stop it lol.

Managed to win one game out of 5, but my com. doubles partner won most of the points lol.
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Ive had a quick go.
    Its gonna take a bit of getting used to as ive got to try and get out of Wii Sports Tennis mode and swing my arm more rather than just a flick of the wrist.
    My online name is Gonzo6275

Edit to my online Tag. Its now Gonzo62752
    Forum Member
    OMG! Online with this game is bloomin brilliant:D:).
    Just played a couple of sets with someone from a different forum and had a much more fun experience over the single play mode.
    Im so glad I got this game with motion+ now.
    Forum Member
    I agree that the online play is much more fun. I seem to be winning a fair bit but my opponents play much nicer shots :rolleyes:.

If anyone wants a game: Rory86
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Online play is great on this. If you want to play me i'm on as ilowman31
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Im loving this game at the moment and the online play is fantastic!! If you wanna game i am as my user name robster 73
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game is fantastic.

My only gripe is there are times where you just move your arm a bit and your character shoots before you mean it and your not ready by the time the ball comes so you lose the point.

Another gripe is swinging and not hitting the ball - extremely annoying.

I also hate hitting it out.:D:D

Final gripe is John McEnroe - - - - he seriously cheats with his serve volleying.

You just can't do anything? . . . he serves. . .you return and he's already at the net to volley it to the opposite side of the court. Very boring and tedious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    My mate bought this round with him on Friday night and I didnt want to give it back at all. I managed to get an extra day with it and gave it back yesterday but I just keep trying to think of ways to raise the money to buy it and play the bloody thing again.

It did take some getting used to at 1st, we played online Friday night taking 1 game each as we only had 1 motion thing, we won only 1 game and lost all of our points but had a great laugh, I dont know if it was just a case of us drinking to much or just being crap. Then yesterday it just clicked for me, I played without the motion thing for a game or 2 and then put it back on and that was that, I was battering people.

A must buy in my opinion for the online game on its own, its brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had another quick play this morning and tried using the nunchuck (after reading comments about how much better it was that way) and Wow, it's like a different game! Took a while to get used to at first but you have so much more control and the motion plus works even better. Pity about the bloody nunchuck wire hitting me in the face all the time! I was thinking about getting a wireless nunchuck but apparently they don't fit with the wm+ in aswell.
    Even though it was more difficult to coordinate the moving with the nunchuck and aiming/spin with the wm+ at the same time I still found myself winning more points overall from the advantage of being able to play shots from wherever I wanted on the court.

I've sent a few friend requests to you lot on the EA Messenger thing in the game but no-one's accepted! :(
    Forum Member
    Ilowman wrote: »
    . Pity about the bloody nunchuck wire hitting me in the face all the time!
    :D That tickled me:D
    I've sent a few friend requests to you lot on the EA Messenger thing in the game but no-one's accepted! :(
    Im pretty sure your on my list. We must have a game sometime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unkdysfunk wrote: »

It did take some getting used to at 1st, we played online Friday night taking 1 game each as we only had 1 motion thing, we won only 1 game and lost all of our points but had a great laugh, I dont know if it was just a case of us drinking to much or just being crap. Then yesterday it just clicked for me, I played without the motion thing for a game or 2 and then put it back on and that was that, I was battering people.

A must buy in my opinion for the online game on its own, its brilliant.

Can you play online doubles with two people on the same console?

I'm really tempted to pick this one up, although I'd really prefer to be able to try it out for myself first.

Can somebody explain how the online works for me? I haven't played any of the EA games before, so I'm not sure what the stat tracking and things is like.

Is it similar to Mario Kart, where you have one number that goes up/down depending on how you play?
    Forum Member
    Can you play online doubles with two people on the same console?

I'm really tempted to pick this one up, although I'd really prefer to be able to try it out for myself first.

Can somebody explain how the online works for me? I haven't played any of the EA games before, so I'm not sure what the stat tracking and things is like.

Is it similar to Mario Kart, where you have one number that goes up/down depending on how you play?

Yer, it's a little similar. You start off with a score of 500 points and then you play games usually worth between 30 and 40 points depending on your opponent (although I played a game against a guy with no points for a whole 2 points!) So yes, if you win the game it goes up by the number of points e.g. 32 and down by the same amount if you lose.

Occasionally the game will lag online which is annoying, as you make a shot that you think the opponent doesnt have a chance of reaching and then suddenly they are there playing it back to you. Also, everyone seems to play as Nadal! I built my own player but suddenly lost about 5 in a row so have given in and tend to play as Federer or Murray.

Also, the games you play contribute to your countries ranking points but I've only looked at that table once and the UK lost alot more games than it won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrwhizzard wrote: »

Eurogamer have now retracted that review and replaced it with this one http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-slam-tennis-review

Thought it seemed odd amongst all the 8/10 9/10 reviews that were on :D