Options

Full TOTP editions on Myspace videos

MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Courtesy of my old mate Ben Riggers........

http://www.myspace.com/video/benriggers

25th-december-1980
31st-december-1987
30th-august-1984 - Jimmy Saville's last TOTP as a regular presesnter
9th-january-1986

+ Many More......

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i couldn't watch them the quality is terrible somewhere ok but thanks
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Courtesy of my old mate Ben Riggers........

http://www.myspace.com/video/benriggers

25th-december-1980
    31st-december-1987
    30th-august-1984 - Jimmy Saville's last TOTP as a regular presesnter
    9th-january-1986

+ Many More......
    are any of these ok to download?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    are any of these ok to download?

Some are on the box.bz but are of similar quality
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some are on the box.bz but are of similar quality

so can't dowload the myspace ones but can on the box bz site?
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i couldn't watch them the quality is terrible somewhere ok but thanks

Considering the recordings are over 20 years old I think they're pretty good actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so can't dowload the myspace ones but can on the box bz site?

Yes but the quality of them are extremeily ropey! The uploaders should have made a bit more effort trying to clean them up a bit first before uploading them (like I have done with my TOTP clips on Youtube)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very nice. It would be better if there was a track listing to each show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kablamo wrote: »
    Very nice. It would be better if there was a track listing to each show.

Try Popscene website
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Considering the recordings are over 20 years old I think they're pretty good actually.

I think because people are used to the quality we get these days, some expect online videos like these to be nearly the same. The thing is, we didn't have DVD recorders or set top boxes that recorded losslessly, but crappy VHS recorders that weren't at their peak as far as technology was concerned. For the record, I can't view these. They aren't loading for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think because people are used to the quality we get these days, some expect online videos like these to be nearly the same. The thing is, we didn't have DVD recorders or set top boxes that recorded losslessly, but crappy VHS recorders that weren't at their peak as far as technology was concerned. For the record, I can't view these. They aren't loading for me.

I agree, however it is possible to improve VHS image quality before uploading. I hold 45 editions of TOTP on VHS, I bought a VHS/DVD combi with image improvement built in and the quality is very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but the quality of them are extremeily ropey! The uploaders should have made a bit more effort trying to clean them up a bit first before uploading them (like I have done with my TOTP clips on Youtube)

well i have not downloaded any yet but will look into it,i'll see what they are like 1st obvously in reference to what you say. as for youtube the only ones that iinterest me now are old programmes ie ,news,elections,schools tv etc
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who wants full broadcast quality recordings of 70's POPS on dvd taken from the German broadcasts of the last couple of years should PM me.

Most downloads are inferior quality and the majority are from UKG on VHS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who wants full broadcast quality recordings of 70's POPS on dvd taken from the German broadcasts of the last couple of years should PM me.

i'll take some copys ,whats the cost?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Hello
    This is Benriggers (the one who uploaded the TOTPs on Myspace). At the time of uploading from dvd ripper I did not make the xvid codec 'maxium quality'. I do apologise for the quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it worth you having another go?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    sorry I no longer have them. Someone brought them off me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'll take some copys ,whats the cost?

You need to enable your PM's as I can't send you a message
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not mine mate! :D I send my VHS recordings through my VHS/DVD combi that has image enhancement (a basic TBC) and has produced excellent results. When I used to transfer from my old VHS player (before it packed up) the quality was no way as good as it did not have image enhancement built in.

I would be interested in the 70's edition you have Graham :D
    benriggers wrote: »
    Hello
    This is Benriggers (the one who uploaded the TOTPs on Myspace). At the time of uploading from dvd ripper I did not make the xvid codec 'maximum quality'. I do apologise for the quality.

Hi Ben, MarkJ on Youtube - shame you got rid of all your clips from Youtube, however understand why, I have had two black marks on my account!

It doesn't matter too much about the quality setting on Xvid as you need to have good quality original sources to get the best quality picture. You can't do much with a DVD copy of a VHS original source to improve the picture quality.

edit: How come you sold your prized collection of retro TOTPs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benriggers wrote: »
    Hello
    This is Benriggers (the one who uploaded the TOTPs on Myspace). At the time of uploading from dvd ripper I did not make the xvid codec 'maxium quality'. I do apologise for the quality.

They're great!
    I'm just enjoying Nov 12, 1981.
    Thanks! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not mine mate! :D I send my VHS recordings through my VHS/DVD combi that has image enhancement (a basic TBC) and has produced excellent results. When I used to transfer from my old VHS player (before it packed up) the quality was no way as good as it did not have image enhancement built in.

I would be interested in the 70's edition you have Graham :D

VHS is VHS is VHS.
    You can't polish a turd nor enhance quality that is not there in the first place.

A timebase corrector might make the image more stable but that image is still not very good.

The dvd recordings made from German tv are identical quality to the broadcasts quality which was very good and better than any UK digital channel.

PM me if you are interested in some POPS dvd's.